PDA

View Full Version : Can i drive my ute with no tray?

four play
12th September 2012, 10:10 PM
hey guys wanting to know if i can legally drive my ute with no tray in qld if i have mudguards and lights
thanks

AB
12th September 2012, 10:13 PM
Should be fine mate as long as all the lights work, mud guards and number plate, etc.

I can't see why not!

nissannewby
12th September 2012, 10:16 PM
I think it will depend on the person pulling you over some will prob say its fine and other wont. There will hopefully be some more knowlegable people along to help

taslucas
12th September 2012, 10:24 PM
Not sure of the legalities but make sure you have the "wheel arch" bit of the mud gaurd to stop rocks flying forward and smashing your rear window. This happened to a mate years ago.

AB
12th September 2012, 10:32 PM
You would need to cover the top of the wheels too as mentioned above.

What about the dealer cars that drive around without trays?

patroltb42
13th September 2012, 12:20 PM
hey guys, its legal so long as mudflaps are fitted and none of the topside of the tread is exposed and all lights are functional and clearly visable.Had the issue a few years back with a hilux i was building ended up with 2 lengths of timper across the chassis with rubber over the top of the tyres drove around like it for around 2 weeks and had no issues. Also note loss of traction can be an issue.

threedogs
13th September 2012, 01:31 PM
Wouldn't think it'd be illegal if the above steps are taken, see it all the time with truck cab/chassis when brand new

the godfather
13th September 2012, 02:57 PM
BUt why would you. Cab chassis ride real bad.

four play
13th September 2012, 10:05 PM
Im only pulling the tray off to repair it and repaint it but the ute is my only car so i still need to get around should only be off for about 2 weeks hopefully

dads tractor
13th December 2012, 11:14 PM
hey guys wanting to know if i can legally drive my ute with no tray in qld if i have mudguards and lights , Yep as far as I know but the tyres need to be covered front rear and on top lights clearly visable take no notice of vehicle running on dealer plates thet have differant rules .

pearcey
14th December 2012, 12:00 AM
Just check all the prime movers running bobtail.Covered wheels and visible lights

Rustyboner81
14th December 2012, 03:07 AM
same question hear but about front bars / bumpers. can i drive around without a front bumper as long as you csn see the license plate number?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Winnie
14th December 2012, 06:00 AM
I drove my work ute with no tray yesterday because IT BLEW OFF ON THE FREEWAY!! I guess that's Toyota for ya though.

DIAL-A-TAP

Stropp
15th December 2012, 12:24 AM
Ha ha Winnie, how bad is that?

93patrol
15th December 2012, 01:17 AM
you can as far as i know rusty but make sure there is nothing hanging out the front that can skewer people like chassis rails and fitting brackets. i did this a little while ago didnt have a drama but maybe the coppers are a little more laid back in bunno

rainsey
28th June 2013, 07:19 PM
hey guys wanting to know if i can legally drive my ute with no tray in qld if i have mudguards and lights
thanks

When I was looking At buying a new cab chassis, knowing I was going to put a camper on the back I asked for a price without a tray.

Every dealer stated they were not legally allowed to sell the cab chassis without the tray. To me this sort of indirectly states that driving without one may not be allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

89gqpatrol4x4
28th June 2013, 07:29 PM
same question hear but about front bars / bumpers. can i drive around without a front bumper as long as you csn see the license plate number?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

I don't think you are as it is all to do with hitting pedestrians!

BigRAWesty
28th June 2013, 07:36 PM
Ofcourse you can buy a cab chassis.. companies do all the time..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

rainsey
1st July 2013, 01:53 PM
Ofcourse you can buy a cab chassis.. companies do all the time..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Kallen,
Maybe the difference was buying one off the rack and driving it away or buying one and getting it trucked over to you ... But

MacArthur Land Rover . No
MacArthur Nissan . No
Phil McCarroll Toyota . No

3 places that I went to physically test drive a Defender 130, Patrol Cab Chassis and a Landcruiser 70 series. Each one I asked if I could purchase without a tray and each one of them told me no ... They were not permitted to do so.

All I am stating was what I was told by the dealer. 3 totally independent dealers, 3 different sales people, 3 answers exactly the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BigRAWesty
1st July 2013, 04:45 PM
Yea fair call mate. Can only take what your told..

But yea, all business I've worked for have had new cab chassis and we built the trays.. so yea, weird

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of