PDA

View Full Version : what to expect/get for a camper under 6 k

macca86
12th September 2012, 08:05 PM
So the missus and I are looking at buying a camper for the meet up under 6 k. What can we expect to get brand new or second hand also if you come across any great deals let us know. Id also like to know what's best steel aluminium I can repair either. Do you need an off road hitch or can I add one later. Any info us appreciated

ozzyboy
12th September 2012, 08:12 PM
hey mate.
i had been looking for the last couple of months. MDC and GIC are in that price bracket.
Heard ok things about the GIC
I ended up spending 8k on a castaway camper. 2 annexes, a room beside the drawer bar, ss kitchen, off road hitch, full 4x4 trailer, and of memory, 31's, electric brakes, boat racks, the list goes on.
It might take me 3 days to set it up but i like it. (havent set it up yet)
If 6k is the limit, i'd look on ebay at mdc ex demo's. u get the extras, cheaper, and all it might have is a bit of dirt on it

ozz

Steve4wdin
12th September 2012, 08:22 PM
Have you thought of buying a 7x4 high sided trailer and adding tent your self. Oztrail to me seem a good quality tent for campers. I also agree with ozz. "MDC" are good value for money.

macca86
12th September 2012, 08:30 PM
I'll check it out. We don't need new 2nd would be better as said prob just a bit if dirt on them id imagine people buy them use them a couple of times and forget about them

ozzyboy
12th September 2012, 08:32 PM
i would add these to watch list daily, to snag a bargain.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/campertrailersaustralia/m.html?hash=item2ec191fb07&item=200816065287&pt=AU_Caravans_RVs&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2562

ozz

macca86
12th September 2012, 10:25 PM
So may have purchased one off flea bay for 1550 but reserve wasn't met see how it goes

Silver
12th September 2012, 10:51 PM
fast mover, Macca86! Johnno's is in Geebung, not too far from me - I'll stick my nose in if I get the chance as they sell new, they hire, and I suppose they must sell the ex hire.

Mate Jason has been talking about the concepts behind camper trailers. Originally a basic box trailer and tent combo that was small and simple - now Tent Mahals, some of them, that are comfy for extended stays with or without kidlets. then there is the question of how robust, and how off road capable, for the trailer.

Finally, there are few camping grounds where trailers and caravans are locked out because of the dreaded bollard, and even if vehicle accessible, the pad is only big enough for a family dome tent, or even smaller. Somehow I don't think officialdom would be happy for us to make up for their lack of foresight and planning, even if we did use our own chainsaws :-)

The beauty of the camper trailer is that it seems they can be made to grow in stages, and thus cater for those sites were the pad is small and the bollards close :-)

macca86
12th September 2012, 11:01 PM
We figured we both enjoy camping and planning a family seems better than tents everything us stored in the trailer so the dog can be in the patrol. Prob won't get the flea bay one as deserve wasn't met. Having a look at one on sat. Cheers Rick let me know what you know mate. We tried to rent a trailer for the forum meet but all booked out school holidays and long weekend has them all out from 5 different retailers

NissanGQ4.2
13th September 2012, 06:41 AM
Johnno's is in Geebung, not too far from me - I'll stick my nose in if I get the chance as they sell new, they hire, and I suppose they must sell the ex hire.

Not sure if this is the Johno's you are referring to Rick : http://www.campertrailer.com.au/

They sell new, hire and used trailers

threedogs
13th September 2012, 06:52 AM
Macca If you type in hard floor camper trailers on Ebay, You'll find 2 mobs that sell 7x5 campers with the lot, annexe 15' x 25', awning, hard to go past these at $5500. Alloy a bit more, Auction and buy it now
As for the off road coupling, where do you intend taking it.
A 2" ball has enough movement for Cape York, I have a 360 degree coupling on my camper, just think its over kill.
IMO nobody's going to take their brand new camper up a mountain in low low fully locked just to get to a camp site.
some of those 360 couplings are $400 plus, only work the other 180 when trailer is upside down

The BigFella
13th September 2012, 10:33 AM
PM sent dude,,,,,,,,,

mudski
16th October 2012, 07:32 PM
I'm in the market for a camper trailer now. I see those on Ebay for around 5k but I'm wary on the quality. It wont be hauled on any 4x4 treks. Just taken to a camp site, like for example Sheepyard flats or a bit further on to Fry's or Tobacco flat but that would be the extent of it.
I do already have a 7 x 4 trailer with 18inch high sides but it doesn't have the 4x4 hitch and standard trailer suspension with no shocks and standard car wheels.
What would be the best way to go about this? As I use the trailer I have for other things so I don't want to convert it and then I can't use it for, trailer use.

Thanks.

threedogs
16th October 2012, 07:42 PM
Yo Mudski if you want to have a dual purpose trailer give me a PM, not as pricey as you think.
This is my camper built from scratch. Orac off road suspension and O'brien off road coupling.
Take it anywhere with confidence, tows like a dream

mudski
16th October 2012, 08:22 PM
Pmotw..................

scotty83
16th October 2012, 08:28 PM
I would check out the other Forum "4wdaction" threads about camper trailers. Few issues around with the GIC campers a while back not sure about now. MDC look really good quality. The guy that used to rep for GIC is now Repping for MDC. (Steve i think his name was (Blue Hilux)

mudski
16th October 2012, 08:31 PM
O.k But who is MDC and GIC?

oncedisturbed
16th October 2012, 08:32 PM
I checked out the MDC v2 last week up at Murchison and saw them in the wind, waaaay to many spreader poles for the annexe and looked very flimsy. Their annexe fell down and the wife and I put it back up for them, turned me off the soft floors unfotunatley

oncedisturbed
16th October 2012, 08:33 PM
O.k But who is MDC and GIC?

GIC trailers - MDC = Market Direct Campers

2 different companies though. Massive thread over at 4wda on the GIC issues

threedogs
16th October 2012, 09:10 PM
Mudski this trailer used to carry a bobcat, but you need square section frame. 80 watt panel on roof
Had heaps inside as well

oncedisturbed
16th October 2012, 09:14 PM
if i don't go the hard floor or pop top and still look at tenting, something like that trailer or similar would be good for us, load it and go

threedogs
16th October 2012, 09:18 PM
Still a hell of a lot of money for a trailer and a tent.? Not sure what the better options are. Even $6k is way too much its only a 7x5 trailer

oncedisturbed
16th October 2012, 09:38 PM
Still a hell of a lot of money for a trailer and a tent.? Not sure what the better options are. Even $6k is way too much its only a 7x5 trailer

this is true, wouldn't be looking at spending a lot as long as the trailer was in good nick and that I could mod to suit us

threedogs
16th October 2012, 09:42 PM
I'm not looking but if I was would probably go along Mudski line and mod out a decent off road trailer, If your in Vic glad to give you a hand if required

mudski
16th October 2012, 09:42 PM
O.k I found this very informative website and some good reading about these "Australian made" campers. i think I wipe these from my Ebay watch list...

threedogs
16th October 2012, 09:44 PM
Don't tell me flat packed from China. Am I right, please say yes

mudski
16th October 2012, 10:03 PM
Fecked if I know. Think I will still go out and look at them anyhow on the weekend, if they're open.

threedogs
16th October 2012, 10:07 PM
They'll be more than happy to take your money saturday or sunday I think.
New thread Monday Mudski buys new Camper lol

oncedisturbed
16th October 2012, 10:10 PM
a lot of the Fleabay 1's are flatpacked with the draw bar welded in Oz, still no idea how it makes Oz made rather than Oz assembled

mudski
16th October 2012, 10:32 PM
They'll be more than happy to take your money saturday or sunday I think.
New thread Monday Mudski buys new Camper lol

Hehe, settle down TD. I ain't buying anything yet. I just want to have a look at them as they do have different styles of trailers. It's not just the welding its the canvas sewing and the zips etc etc.

threedogs
17th October 2012, 07:48 AM
Should be looking for YKK zips, canvas 15 oz nice heavy duty, check for little things like bearing buddies, greasable bushes in the shackles.
Drawbar thickness 100mm x 50mm 3-4mm ideal. enclosed so water and mud can't get in. Decent chain, rated shackles. Can you fit matching size
wheels as the Mudskimobile. Why carry spares for both? swing away or drop down tail gate, list goes on, and on

Steve4wdin
17th October 2012, 08:20 AM
A very interesting point about draw bars. If you want a trailer that won`t let you down, the draw bar should go down as far as the rear of the springs. this gives strength. I mentioned in another thread some where here, if you find a brand trailer you like, google that brand. You will find all the positve verse negative very quickly. We did this when buying our`s. Ended up buying a "Lifestyle Camper" Good luck
Steve

macca86
17th October 2012, 08:33 AM
We looked at a few and saw what you could get for your money. We ended up getting one that I'll modify later to meet our future needs but do now. Upgrades include treg hitch 6stud patrol pattern electric brakes and water tank. All I can do myself cheap as in a boilermaker and plastic welder. We paid 5500 for our set up tough full hot dipped gal steel trailer with tool boxes gas fuel water carriers great tent awning and annex. Came with lights tables chairs duel batteries tools kitchen sinks camp ovens stoves 3 gas bottles all ropes pegs 2 huge tarps. All we need to do to camp is pack food clothes and go. Love it served the week at the forum meet well

Steveo_the_Devo
17th October 2012, 11:04 AM
Have a friend who had endless problems with his GIC up the cape this season. Reports all over the net about poor after sakes service & general failures. I would certainly consider crossing them off the list if you are planning any serious trips - corrugations kill.

My option would be go for better quality 2nd hand. Make sure the basics (trailer frame, canvas etc) are strong, well designed & functional. The rest can be built on & upgraded over time if necessary.

Sometimes it's worth spending some extra $$ to save heartache on the track & endless weekends doing repairs.

Tappity tap don't look back

mudski
17th October 2012, 05:03 PM
Yeah I think I've been talked out of those sub 5k new campers. Albeit being a "cheap" camper, 5k is a lot for us to outlay on something that wont cut the mustard. I reckon our max would be 7k, so I have two ways to attack this...

Buy a second hand camper
Convert my existing 7 x 4 trailer to a camper, but I still want to use it as a trailer too. For rubbish runs etc etc

threedogs
17th October 2012, 05:22 PM
There is a formula for the drawbar for every 1 ft of drawbar ra ra ra tub length. forgotten it. A 180 cm drawbar will tow/ reverse like a dream.
All the trailers I've made I try to have triple drawbar with centre one picking up all points under tub part. Never weld tub to draw bar as thats where they break.
Avoid slipper springs,, when people say off road what do we really mean, Billy goat bluff /Zeka spur ,no fool would tow a trailer up those track.
Don't get me started on "OFF ROAD" caravans lmfao really off road

mudski
17th October 2012, 09:22 PM
Whats rego cost for the average 7x4 camper?

macca86
17th October 2012, 09:50 PM
90 in qld or something like that

mudski
20th October 2012, 08:30 PM
So I finished work today at 12pm in Campbellfield and drove south toward the city to my next job and saw E & Z trading had a showroom in Campbellfield so I though to stop and take a quick look.
I went in with an open mind knowing they are cheap and cheap is what you will get. I actually crawled under one of the campers and had a good look. While I'm no expert welder the welds seem to me to be good. The chassis ends need to be sealed in my opinion to stop water getting in, The lower shocker bracket I can see would be the first thing to break. No biggie and an easy fix to make it stronger.
The canvas seemed o.k while the zippers i would have thought they need to be a bit heavier. The hard floor camper they had, I like the outside but the the floor for the inside I did not like, it if were straight and flush, maybe...
The draw bar only went as far as the front of the springs, the galvanising look alight, the paint job, meh! What I did like was that you could swap and change things from other campers to a camper you like to suit your needs.
I did ask the salesman about where they were made. As he constantly was referring to his warehouse in Kilsyth, he said they were made in Kilsyth, I said "assembled? Or made?" He said roughly half of the material is imported but the entire unit is assembled here in OZ. But what isn't made overseas and assembled here?
This is going totally against my train of though here. BUT, I'm not buying anything mind you, just an observation...? You can clearly see what you get is what you pay for in comparison to a top line model camper. You pay excess of 15k , you will get top quality, it's expected, so the quality obviously drops as you pay less. But in all honestly they weren't too bad. Still didn't say I was buying anything...But, but, I would be doing some mods to the suspension, paint and a few other things to the trailer if I were to lay out my hard eared for one. The Draw slide roller were what looked like to me made out of wood, draw and door seals looks pretty good on some models but other models just had like a stick on neoprene seal slapped on like what you would get from Clarke Rubber. LED tail lights, hinges had grease nipples on one of the models.
As for sales people, the fat dude they had their was too lazy to get up and talk to me, too many pies for lunch maybe, so I walked off and then a young Asian guy came up and was actually very polite and help with any questions that I asked. Although he seemed to struggle with some questions he was good.
So I am still stuck on what to do. I think soft floor will be better for my needs, family an space wise, and GVM of the trailer too. Mod my 7x4 I have? It would need a longer draw bar, new suspension, axle, wheels, brakes, draws made and fitted, then the purchase on the tent to fit on top? Hmm, I reckon it will be easier to have another trailer, but then I come to the issue of space at home. I literally have none.

Over and out.

threedogs
20th October 2012, 09:16 PM
Was about to suggest a lift out arrangement but like me you don't have the room, Where do you intend taking this[any] trailer if or when you decide, either way

mudski
20th October 2012, 09:28 PM
Mostly to bush camp sites, like Sheepyard flats, Murrindindi, Pineapple flat. Nothing too extreme at all.
Like I have said, I ain't buying anything yet. I just wanted to go in with an open mind to see for myself. I want to look at some second hand and maybe new of the known branded campers too. But with how busy I have been lately with work, its going to be a long process. Was hoping to get away to Sheepyards on Cup weekend but it looks like a miss, again. :(

macca86
20th October 2012, 10:27 PM
2nd hand is the way to go. I looked up our trailer brand was a 8000 trailer new and we paid 5500 with heaps of extras. All sheet steel is 3 mm fully welded hot dipped painted I couldn't do better and I'm a boilermaker

threedogs
20th October 2012, 10:46 PM
That sounds like a good deal, think you need to be in the right place at the right time with these campers.
catch someone just retired ready for the big trip, figures its not for them then they sell camper, or sell after one
or two trips. Blowed if I'd pay all that money for a 7x5 trailer and a tent.

macca86
20th October 2012, 11:12 PM
It was bought off a well off couple ( boat anchor chain of gold wearing) that just upgraded to a new jayco so we got a great deal we're happy with it very comfy for our first one week getaway. Don't know how we put up with a tent for so long

threedogs
20th October 2012, 11:37 PM
Need a few creature comforts as the years roll on, can't swag it all your life. somes like great pick up

mudski
14th November 2012, 08:24 PM
How important would you think galvanizing is on a camper? In my case I would only see the dirt maybe once a month and very very rarely get the taste of ocean air, if not never.
I saw a camper today which I didn't mind but the frame was painted, not galvanized. There was a gal version but the whole trailer was gal and it was very bright. Really off putting to look at.

macca86
14th November 2012, 09:11 PM
Gal is not needed bit helps. Mine is gal but outside is brush painted black looks good. Personal choice really

BigRAWesty
14th November 2012, 09:47 PM
My olds is painted in gun metal grey, 12 years old and still going strong..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

megatexture
14th November 2012, 10:50 PM
Id go gal regardless but thats just me, a bit of dust and it wont be shiny for long lol

threedogs
15th November 2012, 09:29 AM
You could buy a tin of proper GAL paint{NOT SPRAY} or that BLACK brushable pitch and go over the bits you think may need attention, prep properly first. BIG RIG is your man here painter extrordinaire.
Seems like a good idea IMO
Maybe Gal may be a better option if your up QLD way or by the coast.

mudski
16th November 2012, 08:45 AM
Do you know if this gal paint can be applied onto an already new painted surface? OR should it be bare metal?

mudski
27th November 2012, 11:38 PM
Decided against buying a camper trailer guys. Even spending 5k on a cheap camper I was finding it hard to justify. It only takes us around 1.5hrs to fully setup camp anyway. Fully. With kids stuff and everything. As much as I'd love to have a camper, me and the wife sat down and thought real hard about it, first was trying to justify to ourselves why we need to spend a minimum of 5k just for a tent on a trailer. Then we also thought of where the hell we are going to put it. No room at our place...
So now the plans will have to be drawn up on a few mods for my 7 x 5 I have. One thing is a longer draw bar so I can fit a big box on it, to fit the fridge and battery in. This 80l Engel takes up most of the back of the wagon.Then new suspension to fit atleast 31's under it. I'm a pretty good Arc welder so when I have a spare millisecond I'll measure up the trailer and start working it out.

Thanks to all who helped, sorry for wasting your time now...

Cuppa
27th November 2012, 11:50 PM
Have you considered a removeable frame to sit in the tub of your 7 x 5, & putting a rooftop tent on it. Could probably reduce your set up time to 15 minutes or less, & still have a trailer useable for other stuff.

Cuppa

gaddy
28th November 2012, 12:17 AM
just a thought we have a older jayco swan they are cheep to buy if you look . we got one with the rubber torsion suspension , very easy to lift a couple of inches sleeps 5 , 3way firdge oven etc . i tow it all over fraiser , moreton , straddy , no dramers and comfortable to boot ,

mudski
28th November 2012, 05:40 PM
yeah cuppa we have considered that to, there is a mob who does them, can't remember their name, but their price was around 2.5k.That was hard to swallow, just for a fecking tent on a wooden base... Still haven't taken that out though. I want to prep the trailer first with a longer draw bar and better suspension. Get it sandblasted and repainted, nice big box on the front to hold the 80L Engel and a battery box, PV panels etc. But I'm now twisted in a whirl of what to do first kinda thing. I'm trying to save for a front air locker too and all this trailer AND solar panel mods I want/need to do its driving me crazy. The missus nearly shat a cow when I came home with the new 80L Engle Combi fridge the last night. Now I just came home from the vets and that was 3hunge and they haven't finished!!!! Holy shite! The CC cards getting a wollop at the moment and we haven't even started christmas shoopping for the kids yet! Maybe I should jut give them the Engel and tell them to be grateful!
I need a beer now...

Edit : Now I have my beer...

Gaddy, i know those Jayco's are cheap, we had one years ago, but two things are stopping us here, justifiable price and we to put the bloody thing. If those two are not justified we can't buy one. More than anything is where to put it. I tell you now if we had room to put it somewhere, I would have already bought one as I have looked at about 10 over the last three weeks, I basically had to duct tape my mouth whilst looking at them. Because I knew in the back of my mind that we got no place to put it, except the front yard, which that aint gonna happen.
Now I need another beer....Loving this warmer weather. Bring on summer!!!