PDA

View Full Version : pyro + boost

kevin07
12th September 2012, 09:25 AM
i fitted a auto meter pyro and boost so now i would like to compare initial tests, i have done i have a 07 crd while driving home last night on the m5 at 110 kph, the pyro sat around about 400 c and around 10 -12psi and spiked to about 480 under a bit of a load, i was able to get it to 550 when i gave it a fair hit. not a full flogging, what concerns me though is how quickly the temps go up and down probably 300 to 450 in under 10 seconds just accelerating a little harder than normal i would also like to know what a good temp is to shut down so i can set the turbo timer. i have placed the probe about 50mm from the back of the turbo. butchered the heat shield which ill buy a new one and post the exact measurements. ps could someone pm me how to load photos please as im a comp retard THANKS KEV

BearGUST
12th September 2012, 10:21 AM
Whereabouts is the EGT probe? Mine is located here:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t164/gordy308/Patrol%20build/039f1648.jpg
I have a ZD30 Di which sits around 300 deg at cruise on the freeway with 5 psi (I have this wound down to improve economy), EGT's will rise sharply when under load but I've only seen mine at 550 deg when I'm climbing a long, steep hill at 100 km/h.

kevin07
12th September 2012, 10:31 AM
i put mine just before the bend probably a bit closer to the turbo than yours

Sir Roofy
12th September 2012, 10:41 AM
Most are below the bend on the dump pipe
you could try a bit more boost to bring down temps

Sir Roofy
12th September 2012, 10:43 AM
Have a look at snikos thread on doing nads
theres some good clear pics there

snewin
12th September 2012, 10:44 AM
Forgive my ignorance but how does winding down the turbo increase fuel economy?

Also with the speed of the gas & temperatures involved, would the placement of the thermocouple a few inches further down the pipe make much difference to the egt?

threedogs
12th September 2012, 11:10 AM
Interested to, to know how winding back the boost will increase fuel economy, as winding back the boost will increase EGTs from what I've read.
Less right foot will improve fuel economy, every time

nissannewby
12th September 2012, 06:13 PM

Also with the speed of the gas & temperatures involved, would the placement of the thermocouple a few inches further down the pipe make much difference to the egt?

The placement of the probe can make a difference to temps. The most accurate way to read EGTs is pre turbo. You can have differences of up to 200 degrees between pre and post turbo temps depending on the turbo and conditions. 700 is considered safe pre turbo so generally 500-550 post turbo is considered safe. If you want accurate temps then pre turbo is the go.

A larger exhaust can help with EGT's as it allows for the gas to exit with less restiction mean less heat. Also more boost as its been stated. Winding boost out for fuel economy isnt really the right way to go you will more than like decrease economy doing so. More boost will help with EGTs and give you a leaner afr so less fuel could be used.

Dmwlking
12th September 2012, 06:55 PM
hi Kevin 07
I about to purchase auto meter. have you got any pictures of the meters and how easy is it to install.

threedogs
12th September 2012, 06:58 PM
Click in the search engine top right corner, sure to be past DIY threads there for you.

grimace
12th September 2012, 09:26 PM
g'day gents, i also have AUTOMETER guages fittedand my probe is on the bend post turbo. i have a 2 3/4 beaudesert exhaust which is by far the best mod i have done and as for temps mine gets up to 550 up hills if i am getting into it also on the freeway doing a dollar ten is around 350. i found the guages were an easy DIY instal and i am happy to explain how i went about mine if anyone needs some pointers cheers....

BearGUST
14th September 2012, 12:01 PM

How doesn't it? More boost equals more air which then means more fuel.
If you can sit on 100km/h with 5psi boost you'll be using less fuel than the same at 10psi boost. There's no throttle blade so IMO this has more affect than a light right foot.

mudski
14th September 2012, 06:19 PM
I'm hoping to find this out for myself soon. I was running 16PSI. Turned it down to 10PSI to see what its like. Around town I can definitely feel the difference, on the highway at 100k's, no difference in performance. BUT, my trip down to Geelong and yonder and back again I can say I have used less fuel. Still got half a tank so I won't know for sure until its empty.

BearGUST
14th September 2012, 06:29 PM
Are you talking about peak boost? I still have about 16psi peak boost but have adjusted to have minimal boost at light throttle which has greatly reduced fuel consumption.

mudski
14th September 2012, 06:53 PM
Peak boost bud. Don't give a rats about anything in between. :driving2:

Steve4wdin
14th September 2012, 08:30 PM
I have a peak boost of 18lb. I reakon use the turbo, thats what its there for. I would rather be at peak boost and get over a hill crusing than having to drop a gear and rev the clappers out of it. I am useing between 11-12 lt / 100 from a 3l crd

BearGUST
14th September 2012, 08:58 PM
That's the point I'm making, have a high peak boost but I make sure I have minimal boost at cruise - THAT is the point of a turbo, it gives a smaller engine flexibility of power when you need it and economy when you want it.