PDA

View Full Version : Led strip lights

threedogs
10th September 2012, 07:58 PM
thought every one would like to Know that Jaycar sell Railing to suit 8mm and 12mm strip lights.
this will come in very handy when it comes to mounting options, around $10 a mtr , they even have disfusers and end caps
to complete the job. pic is of an LED light bracket I think I'll use to watch the rope on the winch at night' as I'm setting up a camera to watch it as well.
pt numbers in latest catalogue. are on page 438

Steve4wdin
10th September 2012, 08:08 PM
I just bought a pack from korrlighting. great for camping or if you wanted to put a strip across the front end. Web site is "http://korrlightlighting.au/led-camping-lights.html" I have seen them in action, great lights.

threedogs
10th September 2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah great lights just did my awning, but stupid prices some are asking on Ebay etc this way we can all buy at a fair price, thats the theory anyway

Irvs
10th September 2012, 09:30 PM
If your interested my boss also imports products like this, possibly for use inside camper trailer or just to diffuse led strip anywhere it's too harsh. Won't post links in case I'm not meant too but if you want the website PM me and I'll send it over

http://www.ecosparks.com.au/images/Coolmax%20angle%20channel.jpg

http://www.ecosparks.com.au/images/Coolmax%20Sur%20Channel.jpg

NissanGQ4.2
10th September 2012, 10:53 PM
Won't post links in case I'm not meant too but if you want the website PM me and I'll send it over

do drama's with posting links on here mate

Irvs
10th September 2012, 11:59 PM
Yeah just don't want to step on any toes as I suppose you could say I have a personal interest in the product.

Anyway if anyone is interested its

www.ecosparks.com.au

We use it for kitchen and office benchtop lighting, we route a groove in the melamine of the cupboards above and lay pre terminated lengths (done by me) in the channel.

I just thought I'd post it here because I can see a use for it in cupboards in camper trailers, caravans, drawers... you name it. Good light for hard to reach spots.

Clunk
11th September 2012, 12:28 AM
Yeah just don't want to step on any toes as I suppose you could say I have a personal interest in the product.

Anyway if anyone is interested its

www.ecosparks.com.au

We use it for kitchen and office benchtop lighting, we route a groove in the melamine of the cupboards above and lay pre terminated lengths (done by me) in the channel.

I just thought I'd post it here because I can see a use for it in cupboards in camper trailers, caravans, drawers... you name it. Good light for hard to reach spots.
You should start up a thread in the vendors section mate, folks will be able to find you easier then

Irvs
11th September 2012, 02:26 PM
You should start up a thread in the vendors section mate, folks will be able to find you easier then

Haha, only if my boss wants to pay me more first!!

the evil twin
11th September 2012, 05:26 PM
How much hotter do the strips run when they are in the enclosure?

Look like the ducks guts but in my camper a couple of the LED strips (approx 800 lumen/metre) can be on for a few hours and they get a tad but not overly warm.

threedogs
11th September 2012, 06:23 PM
I thought LEDs have no working parts and generate no heat, might get warm but thats all, haven't noticed it myself
and I have LEDs everywhere, don't have a normal OE light on my 4x4, camping or house

Irvs
11th September 2012, 06:39 PM
The parts that generate heat other than the LED chip are the solder joins (where they lengthen cheap led strips) and the supply cable solder join. These channels are made of aluminium so they actually act as a heat sink if anything.

Winnie
11th September 2012, 06:44 PM
Yeah it's the electronics that produce heat not the actual light itself. They only get warm though not hot.

the evil twin
11th September 2012, 10:39 PM
snip...
These channels are made of aluminium so they actually act as a heat sink if anything.

Cool... :trink13:

Hey, I made a funny :clapping:

As an FYI for anyone who may not realise... the higher the power you go in the LED's the hotter the drive ccts run which is why they have the heat sinks on the casings of the LED spotties and light bars... esp the runs running 10 watters (LED power).

The latest Hella LED driving light technology is struggling with that issue. They can get some fairly good light from 3 X hi-power LEDs focussed back towards the reflector but much more than that and they overheat

If the sealed LED strips get too hot they discolour. The higher power LED strips certainly run warm to the touch but nothing like an equivalent output incandescent certainly.

At the moment I have my strips mounted on flat poly but those diffusers look the ducks guts so might have to think about making some new lights up.

mudski
4th October 2012, 06:18 PM
I saw the channeling and diffusers a Jaycar. My only concern is with the LED strip sitting in the channel it will direct the light too much. Whereas, I thought, having the strip just on a flat length with no sides or diffusers the light will spread more.
Thoughts?

threedogs
4th October 2012, 06:37 PM
You may be able to test the disfuser at Jaycar if concerned at all
Disffuser means to spread or disperse the light, may be just what your after.
That small switch hasn't turned up yet.

mudski
4th October 2012, 09:38 PM
Yeah I though more about it after I posted and thats what diffusers do. soften but spread the light. As for my switch, It's prolly sitting on my doorstep. I've been away for work since monday and are coming home tomorrow.

threedogs
4th October 2012, 09:44 PM
Been trying my dimmer, its great just walk eg over to camper plug inline with that light dims a treat. now can move as requirement permit.
doesn't need to be permanent, all I'll say is handy as I like my campsites bright, something to do with wobbly boot syndrome late in the evening. LOL

kristoffa 2 of these off to the side might suit your needs, low power draw The smaller one

mudski
7th October 2012, 04:29 PM
Ok so I went down to Jaycar and got the channel, diffuser, the end plugs and two other things they said I need. According to their website these bits are required, well i couldn't even find the metal clip, but I can't even figure out how the hell they are used. Even the rubber end cap doesn't make sense.

threedogs
7th October 2012, 04:39 PM
Bit like a puzzle but if they are compatable to each other they should fit with minimum force.

mudski
7th October 2012, 04:45 PM
Well that metal clip doesn't sit in any way inside the channel, the clear plastic thingo, feck knows, and the rubber end cap is not the same shape as the end of the channel. I reckon I've been out there looking at this from every different angle to figure it out. I'm heading down to Bunnings to see what they have...

threedogs
7th October 2012, 04:53 PM
I find if you drink enough while staring at it, all of a sudden you'll go, of course thats the way it goes.
Hey works for me
Can see how the clip works

mudski
7th October 2012, 07:23 PM
You can see how it works bit it wont fit the way you think. Anyhow 2 bucks at Bunnings for four plastic end caps and their finished..