PDA

View Full Version : roof racks

ibs87
10th September 2012, 06:23 PM
Hi guys, im sure this topics already been covered, but im wondering if someone can give me some pointers on which roof rack to get for my 08 GU. i just want the 2 bar system for carrying fishing rods n the odd ladder, but also want one that i can mount an awning kit on. thanks for any info guys.

threedogs
10th September 2012, 06:28 PM
I have Rhino racks 1567mm I think, I only have 2 at the moment and have the awning mounted to it no problems.
will carry ladder no probs, down the track I want to get a third and build my own flat rack with brackets etc for awning ,light bar, etc
They are the aero style and very strong.

happygu
10th September 2012, 06:34 PM
If you want to mount an awning, then the best thing to do is to buy a full basket type rack, with the full length gutter mounts to spread the load. This will make it much easier to mount the awning, and you can buy a full basket type or one which just has the raised sides to ty things to.

Mic

ibs87
10th September 2012, 08:41 PM
what do you guys think of the whispracks?...claim to be the worlds quietest roof bar system.. they have a pretty nice fishing rod holder accessory. Looks real neat.

Clunk
10th September 2012, 09:26 PM
what do you guys think of the whispracks?...claim to be the worlds quietest roof bar system.. they have a pretty nice fishing rod holder accessory. Looks real neat.

Not heard of them sorry.............. Pros n cons to the different style racks out there. For me I'd go for something like the Rhino system, start of with 2 bars and add to it if and when necessary. Much better system for me coz I can't get the car in the garage with the racks on, ful size rack is to big and cumbersome for me and I don't like them being on the car all the time...... But that's just my opinion for my situation.

Tap till ya can tap no more.....

Jock
11th September 2012, 04:33 AM
Yesterday I bought three rhino HD bars with 110m legs and mounted an ARB 2x2m awning in 2.5 hours. No problems, easy as with the universal mounting kit (3111). I will also make a flat pack rack from marine ply to hold down second spare and fuel.

Cheers

Jock

mudski
11th September 2012, 08:51 AM
I had a Rhino Sports rack on my Dmax. Kind of aerodynamic it was so it was really quiet at speed.

Dmwlking
12th September 2012, 06:13 PM
Hi ibs87
I got mine made at irvin bull bars in midland They made it to my spec and cheaper than a track lander. And it is quite. It looks like a track lander but stronger.

ibs87
12th September 2012, 09:42 PM
cheers guys for info, ive went online and bought a set of rhino roof racks. Aero types, 2 bar style, off ebay for $330 with free postage. Cant wait for them to get here. Am also researching on awnings, and i reckon i'll go for the FOXWING style.
Has anybody got one of these?? Any pros and cons?