PDA

View Full Version : GU Rear Door Table with Gas Struts

Shonky
10th September 2012, 06:45 PM
Hey everyone, Shonky the backyard mechanic here!

So I decided a while back that my first 4x4 Theo, will be a touring vehicle.

One of the projects I wanted to achieve was a different type of rear door table. You always see the ones with the rope and it's a sound concept that works quite well, but like all my projects, this one will be different.

I started out with some 16mm treated plywood cut to a decent but not over cumbersome length ( a lot of the tables I see completely cover the door and I didn't want that). Next I procured myself some meshed metal to make some brackets for the struts as well as the slide of the bottom end of the strut.

With these sheets I had to grind and cut to make custom slides for this to work. At a later date, some heavier gauge metal will be used but for now this will suffice.

Once I put some hinges on the wood, I was able to dummy install in to get the right position for the slide to work with the struts.

Once I got the measurements and all the attachments on the wood ie. sliders with the bolt already inside and the hinges, I then got to start putting down the marine carpet. I ended up not using glue like I should have and just staples the life out of it instead.

End result being an auto opening table with strong support to hold as much as the hinges can handle. 1991219913199141991519916
To say the least, I'm very proud of the outcome although I will be replacing the hinges with some larger ones as well as replace the sliders and bracket for the struts as it was quite flimsy metal and could do with a thicker cut. The prototype is there now and it shouldn't take long to replace now I know what to do.

BTW, all the hardware I got was from my local Bunnings (shameless plug) and all for roughly $40.

threedogs
10th September 2012, 06:53 PM
Thats what I'm talking about, love when people think outside the square.
thats different and I love it . keep them coming !!!!

Is there anything behind the back trim??
my other 4x4 I built a Mini bar there, we called it a spice rack.
store sugar, coffee, tea ,UHT milk cartons, and cups with spring loaded door
I'll get pic of it asap

Edit again,,,, don't those struts come with the bit to fit ends on, could've tack welded to piece of small angle or what ever

MEGOMONSTER
10th September 2012, 06:57 PM
Great job and good thinking.

mrflibbles
10th September 2012, 07:42 PM
nice, i like the gas strut idea.... might have to do the same will the offical name be a shonky table?

P4trol
10th September 2012, 08:16 PM
Shonky table. I like it.

I have still seen one that out does you: It had gas struts, but with the addition of a magnetic knife holder near the top of the door.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/14365-Best-Land-Rover-Mod-Ever/page3

Tipsy-tap

Shonky
10th September 2012, 08:34 PM
Haha I do like the name... Let's call it that.

P4trol, I wish I did see that link earlier, it would have saved me a lot of hassle with the sliders. And it one "outdoes" mine cause it's got a magnetic knife block haha

Threedogs, nothing is behind the trim but that's a bloody good idea. Might have to implement it later on. And no, it didn't come with those end bits, got it from a mate down south who had some spares laying around. The struts are actually pretty strong so the mrs needs to put her whole body weight to close it. Might have to look at improving it along the way.

threedogs
10th September 2012, 08:41 PM
Cool, All I did was jig saw out a square/rectangle without cutting too much of the inner bracing off.
Measure how deep,wide etc ,make a sheetmatal box with flanges [If thats the right term}, so it'll
slide in but not disappear, the spring loaded lid covered the whole lot, I you find jars you like make sections to suit,
eg sugar,coffee go side by side in one section, I'll put up a pic tomorrow sons asleep now,[Shift}
You could use that space for so much more.

Shonky
10th September 2012, 08:43 PM
I never thought about cutting out the inner guts of the rear door. Would that do any sort of detrimental damage to the structure of the door in regards to the spare tyre? Buckle it perhaps?

P4trol
10th September 2012, 08:47 PM
I did do a fair amount of googling research before I made mine. It was a great way of bringing out table I might never see otherwise. The problem was I liked features from some and not others. I used pinterest to pin all the pictures on to make flicking between them easy.

Tipsy-tap

Lieney
10th October 2012, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=eg sugar,coffee go side by side in one section, I'll put up a pic tomorrow sons asleep now,[Shift}
You could use that space for so much more.[/QUOTE]

Where are those pics??
I love the idea of a storage area within the rear door cavity.
Filling cavities can be a good thing.

P4trol
12th October 2012, 02:51 PM
http://pinterest.com/clanof/gu-patrol-rear-door-table/

Hopefully the link works, and you sent have to be logged into pinterest.

Here's a quick pic of mine.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/43.jpg

Tipsy-tap

Lowie
28th January 2013, 09:07 PM
Nice One. Thanks for sharing!

BigRAWesty
28th January 2013, 09:21 PM
That's cool. And sweet idea with the "spice rack" TD.
There is plently of room behind the door cover to make a reasonable shelf/ compartment without remove any metal from the door.
And I'd suggest not to hook into the door frame as it is quite structurally stressed carrying the wheel to start with..

One way to increase the trays strength is to use piano hinge. It's like the door hinge but one piece. You cut it to length and secure away. Comes in galv and stainless if you wanna add a touch more bling...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
28th January 2013, 09:39 PM
Was originally a mini bar, then just small cartons of UHT milk some sugar and coffee and was god to go.
Thinking of doing it to the GU as the doors are hollow as well and just great space just being wasted.
I'll take some pics tomorrow, must have forgotten , my bad

cossy
20th March 2013, 10:17 PM
Very well done more things to make

Yabb
19th April 2013, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=P4trol;268185]Shonky table. I like it.
I have still seen one that out does you: It had gas struts, but with the addition of a magnetic knife holder near the top of the door.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/14365-Best-Land-Rover-Mod-Ever/page3

Not sure about the one with the magnetic knife rack, rear passengers could be sliced & diced in a prang!!

P4trol
20th April 2013, 06:14 AM
I put my knives in the glove box with the potatoes for dinner.

Shonky
20th April 2013, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=P4trol;268185]Shonky table. I like it.

Not sure about the one with the magnetic knife rack, rear passengers could be sliced & diced in a prang!!

What P4trol was talking about, was that there is a hollowed out compartment inside the actual rear door and the knives are stored in there. It's actually quite a clever idea and one I'd like to implement in the future

04OFF
20th April 2013, 07:28 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but why do you have or need "slides" when using struts ?

Shonky
20th April 2013, 08:07 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but why do you have or need "slides" when using struts ?

It was more of an experiment than anything else. Purely trying something different and now know better. I've since taken it off and will modify it in the future to a better and sturdier system

Yabb
20th April 2013, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=Yabb;363424]

What P4trol was talking about, was that there is a hollowed out compartment inside the actual rear door and the knives are stored in there. It's actually quite a clever idea and one I'd like to implement in the future

I was commenting on the photo in the link, no hollowed out compartment there...

P4trol
20th April 2013, 10:03 PM
I don't reckon the knives would a) fit there when the table is closed,
b) stay there on the magnet,
c) are possibly quality enough to warrant better care while being transported.

Chilledwun
1st September 2013, 09:11 PM
nother great idea...don't no if I'd go the carpet as I hate vacuuming !!