PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen wipers excessive movement

steve squires
10th September 2012, 04:05 AM
HI All, wonder if anyone else has had this problem and how ,if, they fixed it.
I have a 98 GU wagon and wiper blades and arms ( i think ) have excessive amount of play. For instance when using wipers on a dry day to clean windscreen when they stop there is still a 1/4 of travel left to go. when using in rain the wipers will travel below the screen onto the body work and on the up stroke they travel onto the body pillar. Now I understand it may be worn out and therefor loose but before getting drastic I thought I check if anyone else has any ideas.

Thank you
Steve.

threedogs
10th September 2012, 06:41 AM
You may find that it has worn nylon bushing on the arms, not sure how you'd get to it though

Robo
13th October 2012, 04:55 PM
x2 on the bushes had this break on Mk patrol yrs back.
$40 relay arm with bush, but 10 yrs later and much younger model so $$??

Alitis007
13th October 2012, 08:38 PM
HI All, wonder if anyone else has had this problem and how ,if, they fixed it.
I have a 98 GU wagon and wiper blades and arms ( i think ) have excessive amount of play. For instance when using wipers on a dry day to clean windscreen when they stop there is still a 1/4 of travel left to go. when using in rain the wipers will travel below the screen onto the body work and on the up stroke they travel onto the body pillar. Now I understand it may be worn out and therefor loose but before getting drastic I thought I check if anyone else has any ideas.

Thank you
Steve.

My gu had that when i bought it. One of the pivots where the arms bolt down on to had worn the drivers side i think , so i replaced both pivots and the two connecting arms set me back around a couple of hundred i think. But they're easy to get to you un bolt the arms then there is maybe 6 plastic screw type clips that hold down the panel under wiper arms, remove the rubber and lift the panel off can't remember if you need to close the bonnet or not. Oh and the nissan dealer i use had to order one of the pivots from japan, took a week or two.

threedogs
13th October 2012, 09:28 PM
Also never use your wipers dry, just asking for problems down the track

Alitis007
13th October 2012, 09:34 PM
Also never use your wipers dry, just asking for problems down the track

Thats right it scratches the glass and wears the wiper components and strains the wiper motor