PDA

View Full Version : Leaf to coil conversion.

qld patrol
7th September 2012, 06:56 PM
Gday gents, I wanna convert my rear leaf springs to coil on my GU ute. I was just wondering if this is an easy task or can it create problems? And is there a kit you can buy for this conversion?

threedogs
7th September 2012, 07:30 PM
You could try Superior engineering, they may have all the brackets etc required.
Can't see any dramas but it may be costly, lots of cutting ,grinding and welding.
You would need to have it engineered as well I should think, more $$$$$$$$$$

Bigrig
7th September 2012, 08:36 PM
Bloody good question old mate - looking to do the same on the eldest lads project ute. Be very interested to hear how straight forward it is or isn't ...

threedogs
7th September 2012, 08:43 PM
You would think if you cut all the brackets etc off a wreck [Coil] buy a complete coil diff as IMO that would be cheaper
then after cutting leaf hangers etc off, re weld others on, Brake hoses??

And while you're at it beef up the spring tower and gusset up chassis

CorbinsGUte
7th September 2012, 08:59 PM
I was inquiring into same thing a little while back. I read somewhere people forking out amounts like $10k for the job and it turns out driving like crap after. Still though, it would be a good thing to look further into.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Bigrig
7th September 2012, 09:13 PM
You would think if you cut all the brackets etc off a wreck [Coil] buy a complete coil diff as IMO that would be cheaper
then after cutting leaf hangers etc off, re weld others on, Brake hoses??

And while you're at it beef up the spring tower and gusset up chassis

I'm with you mate - swap the diff out, and fab up coil locators on the chassis etc from there ...

Benny!!!!! Got some spare time???? lol

threedogs
7th September 2012, 09:27 PM
Seems the easier way, but maybe someone out there has done it, I haven't seen it at any shops I've been at and most used to do comp trucks.
Some grafted live axle into IFS utes

nissannewby
8th September 2012, 06:48 AM
It has been done a few times there are some quite good threads floating around I will see if I can find a link. Failing that try and put it into google. I have replied in your other thread also but why do you want to convert it to coil?

nissannewby
8th September 2012, 07:13 AM
Hopefully this link works.

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=200180

qld patrol
9th September 2012, 05:28 PM
Yes from the research i have done it looks like i would be better off just beeding up my leafs, can you blocks tell me what the most effective may is to get maximum slex out of my leaf springs? maybe provide a link for me? cheers

nissannewby
9th September 2012, 08:13 PM
Most spring places can make leafs to your desired effect. The best bet would be to call around. I would call suspension stuff and see what they think. A well setup leaf and shackle combo will flex just as well as a coily and with correct spring rates be just a comfortable to drive.

Robo
9th September 2012, 09:24 PM
What the reason/idea your thinking of converting to coil instead ?.

Ben-e-boy
9th September 2012, 09:49 PM
Most spring places can make leafs to your desired effect. The best bet would be to call around. I would call suspension stuff and see what they think. A well setup leaf and shackle combo will flex just as well as a coily and with correct spring rates be just a comfortable to drive.

X2 on that one.