PDA

View Full Version : 3'' exhaust system

08st
7th September 2012, 02:26 PM
Hi, i have just installed a 3'' exhaust system on my 08 3.0ltr GU wich i purchased from supercar-performance in QLD, on taking vehicle for test drive i noticed that there was a hesitation prior to turbo spooling up. Once thru that rev range everthing was normal & smooth driving, would this be affected by the denser air [climate] as i'am from lithgow? P.S I rang them up & they said they have not had this problem up north. any advice would be great Thanks.

nissannewby
7th September 2012, 03:08 PM
Denser air will make it go better. It sounds odd usually an exhaust will help free it up across the board. Is the air filter fairly new?

boots
7th September 2012, 04:20 PM
Your intercooler-IC- could be leaking or have loose clamps or hoses onto it . If its the factory fitted IC then chances are its leaking - inherent fault with them . Mine was doing the same thing as you describe .

Steve4wdin
7th September 2012, 09:13 PM
Is it actually hesitation or is it you really feel the turbo spool up now. I have dealt with Adam and Mike from super car performance and they are great I have there diesel smart module and boost control on my 2011 3lt crd. with a
3" s/s exhaust. Mine to seems to be a bit lazy before the turbo spools up. I think it is nature of the beast. I also recommend a dyno.If you are ever down the hill towards Sydney I can hook you up with the guy that did mine. Insight motor sports.(Scott) PM me if you need more help

08st
10th September 2012, 02:07 PM
Brand new K&N air filter.

08st
10th September 2012, 02:14 PM
Yeah not sure ,have had it dynoed it is overboosting still waiting on Adam from supercar he said he is sending down a Dwaes valve wich he said will rectify the problem untill i get the Diesel Smart module installed.

08st
10th September 2012, 02:23 PM
Could you explain what the Intercooler IC is pls.

Rustyboner81
10th September 2012, 02:44 PM
Exhaust is bigger so its taking the pressure away faster. The inlet / feed needs to be up'ed. Air going in needs to be denser.
Thats what my turbo mate said.
Might need to adjust the computer / maf (mass air flow) sensor

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Rustyboner81
10th September 2012, 02:44 PM
The IC cool the air down to make it denser.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

threedogs
10th September 2012, 04:39 PM
The intercooler is under the plastic engine cover, remove that and you'll see an aluminium radiator type thing.
Thats your intercooler, as Boots suggested remove the cover and check all the hoses to and from intercooler,
Don't swing on them but make sure they are firm[Tight}

boots
10th September 2012, 05:34 PM
Could you explain what the Intercooler IC is pls. IC = INTERCOOLER just shortened/abreviated and ditch your K+N air filter for a factory one . they have been known on this forum to be a cause of grief . Easy enough to replace and trial anyway .

Jock
11th September 2012, 05:38 AM
A dawes valve for a CRD ?

my third 256
11th September 2012, 08:56 AM
on here somwhere they talk about a 3" exhaust is too big for a crd and sugest a 2.75 as there is too much exhaust flow and not enough back pressure
here is the link
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?13864-3-inch-exhaust-problems-when-fitted-to-a-CRD

mudski
11th September 2012, 09:06 AM
IC = INTERCOOLER just shortened/abreviated and ditch your K+N air filter for a factory one . they have been known on this forum to be a cause of grief . Easy enough to replace and trial anyway .

How would a hi flow air filter cause greif? I used one in my Dmax and have ordered one for my troll, it was friggin' great in the Dmax. Just don't use it in the dirt thats all. When you are doing trips on dirt, just swap it over to an OEM one. Thats what I do. But on hard top their fine.

08st
11th September 2012, 02:11 PM
Yeah the cover is off hose clamps have been checked nice & firm , i just got confused with I-C next to intercooler i realized just after i sent msg.I Should have dawes valve installed today.

boots
11th September 2012, 06:18 PM
: K&n air filter for 3l commonrail? This was the title of the post and have just bumped it to see what eventuated . verdicts still out .

threedogs
11th September 2012, 06:37 PM
Fitted a 3" Zorst on mine and very happy.
Thought I'd get dump pipe and CAT done a bit later.

Maybe a waste of money??????

Didn't notice any difference

my third 256
11th September 2012, 06:40 PM
the k&n air filter is coated in a film of oil the oil upsets the maf sensor and fault codes come up
but some swear by them and use the oil very sparingly
this info was for the crd models

mudski
11th September 2012, 10:55 PM
Fitted a 3" Zorst on mine and very happy.
Thought I'd get dump pipe and CAT done a bit later.

Maybe a waste of money??????

Didn't notice any difference

You should mate. You seen the fine for not running a Cat? You could buy nearly five complete zorst's for the money from a fine.
When I fitted my Redback system I disconnected my chip. first and drove it for a week. Then fitted the pipe and I did notice the difference, not a big difference but it was noticeable.

Blownlc
17th September 2012, 10:20 PM
On the filter topic but off the main: I personally wouldn't use any washable oil coated air filter on an off road vehicle. I only used K&N filters in my rice burners as they were only ever used on the road. Too much dust is able to penetrate the filter when using washable type filters, especially if they aren't cleaned and re-oiled every 5k.

This is coming from experience. I once did a test in my old gtir, I used a modified old filter box with a standard paper type filter underneath a K&N washable panel filter. After two days of belting around boomanumana and mulwala state forests I was very surprised to see how much dust had penetrated the K&N filter.

happygu
19th September 2012, 12:43 AM
08st,

I would get rid of the K&N filter. If it is one of the oiled types, that type of filter and the MAF don't go well together from everything i have read.

Too much oil in the filter and it will end up being sucked into your intake and across the MAF, giving you bad readings causing the car to give you poor performance ( such as a hesitation on accelleration )

Best air filter is the standard Nissan filter.

Mic

kevin07
19th September 2012, 08:55 AM
when i purchased my troll earlier this year it had a k&n filter in it mind you it had no oil on it, so i bought a recharge kit then read all the stuff and decided to stick with a nissan one now it sits lonely in my cave.

Womble13
19th September 2012, 10:34 AM
going to work this morning i lost power and heard the turbo whining out so i limped home at 50km,
rang the boss and told him i think i,ve just blown up the turbo sooooo.... had a coffee and decided it was time to look under the hood
to see whats wrong...turns out a hose came off the turbo causing loss of power and a days pay so yeh check em all.
on the plus side i have the day off the sun is shining and i think theres a track i havent explored just out of town
what a shame...:-)