PDA

View Full Version : where can i put my second spare tyre?

bsax
29th October 2010, 07:51 PM
hey all,
when i first got the patrol (still deciding on a name), the guy i baught it off had a second spare tyre sitting around and just gave it to me.
pretty sweet hey, tread's still good and all.

i was just thinking of where i can put the second spare?
my dad reckons make a slide out compartment in the back and slide it out, one of his mates has suggested making almost like an extension to the bracket already holding the first spare on the door and have it such that there is two tyres sitting out from the door.
I'm thinking perhaps shufle the first spare tyre to the right a little and place a bracket on the smaller door at the back.
but im not to sure as to the weight and whether the door is able to hold it or not.

iv put up a picture of the back of the patrol (at least i think i have =S) just so you get an idea what i'm on about.
any input would be greatly appreciated =]

YNOT
29th October 2010, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't try putting both spare wheels on the big door, the hinges won't take it for very long.
If you've got a spare $2000 odd you could fit a Kaymar rear bar with twin spare wheel carriers.
Being a high roof you could always try making/adapting a drop down carrier to fit up inside the roof at the back! (suggestion not to be taken seriously, you're third row passengers would get VERY nervous)

Tony

AB
29th October 2010, 08:30 PM
Don't rule out some roof racks either mate, they come in handy for a 1000 reasons!

bsax
29th October 2010, 08:50 PM
yeah true for all that.
i'm extremly tight on money, i'm in uni and dont work as much due to other commitments.
and im saving for the trip to perth in a few months so i need to get every penny for that.

i was also thinking of making a mount for it, where it like stands up and sits to the right in the back.

yeah im also thinking of making a small drop down shelving thing off the handle bars (don't really want to open up the interior to find the main supports if i don't have to) to hold it up and chucking in the lighter stuff like a tent, small shovel and maybe one of those balloon jacks that attach to the exhaust and blow up. just to save a touch of space and make things neat.

everything's still in planning phase, i only got it last week and i'm only working on the cosmetics such as fixing rust and a bit of paint at the moment, and getting it roadworthy off course.

but i may get the Kaymar rear bar with twin spare wheel carriers as you said later on down the track.

thanks for your input

Finly Owner
29th October 2010, 09:55 PM
land rover style, on bonnet!

BillsGU
1st November 2010, 09:57 AM
I have done a LOT of 4 wheeling over a LOT of OZ and overseas and have never needed a second spare. First of all make sure you buy GOOD TYRES and that they are in excellent condition before a big trip. Carry a tyre repair kit and if you are really going remote carry tyre change gear, some spare tubes and a spare case. Also - most travel is with others and there is usually a spare you can borrow. All that extra weight (especially on your rear door!), waste of room, cost, etc - is not worth it for 99.9% of out back travel. Almost as silly as caravans with two spares !! BTW - if you are towing - make sure your van / trailer wheels fit the car. This gives you three more spares in an emergency.

mudtrolluk
3rd November 2010, 05:18 AM
land rover style, on bonnet!

That would depend on the size off your tires, if you run 38 x 15, 16's then you may have problems?
or did you mean landrover style in a work shop being fixed?

bsax
3rd November 2010, 04:22 PM
ahh ok yeah fair enough, he chucked it in for free and i thought it would be good to be safe just in case.
but fair enough

Matmobile
8th December 2010, 12:10 AM
I strap mine in the back with the factory tie downs and 2 ratchet straps

tkn
17th December 2010, 10:24 AM
A second spare wheel is insurance, but whether it is realistic insurance depends upon (a) where you are going; and (b) the condition of the rest of your tyres. In short, are you likely to need it on a regular basis, or likely to carry around a 35Kg dead weight for no good purpose. If you are not doing regular hardcore four wheel driving or desert treks, probably best to leave it at home. If you decide you need to carry the extra wheel, try mounting it inside the vehicle just rear of one of the rear wheel arches - you may have to building a small box to hold your jack, etc. and the tyre can sit on top of that with a tie bolt or bracket to the side wall of the Patrol.

tzsafari
17th February 2012, 01:45 AM
Excellent advice!

Lewy
17th February 2012, 07:32 AM
I made one up for a old 80 series I had.. Here is the link to it http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=63087

rusty_nail
17th February 2012, 07:38 AM
that link doesnt work, it says you have to be a member

Lewy
17th February 2012, 07:43 AM
Ok cool here are the pics.. Of course I painted it all up nice and it looked great!!.. I used the holes from where the seat used to bolt to....

04OFF
17th February 2012, 07:46 AM
I have done a LOT of 4 wheeling over a LOT of OZ and overseas and have never needed a second spare. First of all make sure you buy GOOD TYRES and that they are in excellent condition before a big trip. Carry a tyre repair kit and if you are really going remote carry tyre change gear, some spare tubes and a spare case. Also - most travel is with others and there is usually a spare you can borrow. All that extra weight (especially on your rear door!), waste of room, cost, etc - is not worth it for 99.9% of out back travel. Almost as silly as caravans with two spares !! BTW - if you are towing - make sure your van / trailer wheels fit the car. This gives you three more spares in an emergency.

Agree with Bill here, i follow the same advice, and ive already got a second spare but i never bother to take it, and never had a puncture.

Only thing you will also need to carry is a tyre pump (after you plug/repair a tyre you need to inflate)