PDA

View Full Version : what maps to get

Stropp
5th September 2012, 05:15 PM
hi everyone, i am after some info as to what to get as far as maps go, i have purchased a in dash system with satnav and i also have an ipad, whats the best one and easiest to use?? i am relatively technically challenged unless i use something all the time.

Clunk
5th September 2012, 06:24 PM
Are you going to ( I think it's ) briseys place for the Nerd session on GPS maps, that's coming up with the WPC? Might get some tit bits there Stropp

threedogs
5th September 2012, 06:26 PM
Hi Stropp Ozi Explorer might be worth looking at, no idea of prices etc.
what area do you need maps of????
Should always have 1/250,000 maps as well

Stropp
5th September 2012, 06:28 PM
Are you going to ( I think it's ) briseys place for the Nerd session on GPS maps, that's coming up with the WPC? Might get some tit bits there Stropp

yes andrew, going along, just like to have it loaded onto the ipad to take with me so i can play around with it to get some idea.

threedogs
5th September 2012, 06:32 PM
Are you mounting the ipad somewhere in cab ???????

Clunk
5th September 2012, 07:05 PM
If your in dash one takes an sd card, take the card with you, I'm sure the guys will load it up........ Most of them probably use ozi explorer, so if your in dash jobbie is windows ce based, you can download it for a minimal fee and load it into your gps

oncedisturbed
5th September 2012, 08:25 PM
I have the Ipad mounted on my dash with ram mounts running MUDMaps and HEMA for offroad and IgoPrimo for onroad, between them it covers all my mapping needs and still take out paper maps with me.

In dash are good as they are more stable due to the mounting and can run Ozi or Memory Map, both with HEMA maps. For me, the bonus of the Ipad is i can use it for more things and it's mobile so if I need to trundle down a track before driving it, I can and still follow the map and plot points if needed.

There are in dash units now that come with a 7" android tablet that runs the stereo, mapping, internet etc and can be removed if needed. There is a similar 1 now that does the same with the Iphone.

I will be loading in the latest BETA release for MUDMaps tonight or tomorrow for testing out before it gets the public release and will update when I see how the new system and features are.