PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear replacement

Dmwlking
5th September 2012, 04:12 PM
Hi all
Has any one done a 5 gear replacement with gear box still in the car.
If so easy enough and do you need and special tools.

the godfather
5th September 2012, 06:43 PM
Hi, I have done a 5th gear replacement, and no you cant do it in the vehicle. You have to remove and replace the main shaft as well. It is an annoing job.
Pictures HERE (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/album.php?albumid=89).
If you get stuck PM me.

Dark 1
5th September 2012, 07:25 PM
I did a complete gearbox replacement with flywheel & clutch on my old troll & took 4 blokes a whole day, lots of cussing & beer drinking.
Not a job to tackle lightly.

Good Luck.

nissannewby
5th September 2012, 09:21 PM
Definitely a gearbox out job. Take your time and follow the manual and you will be fine.

Dmwlking
5th September 2012, 09:37 PM
thanks for all your comments. I might just take the box out and do it.

the ferret
5th September 2012, 09:45 PM
thanks for all your comments. I might just take the box out and do it.''

Ya gunna have to mate, can't do it with the box in I'm afraid.
Cheers, the ferret.

nipagu7
7th September 2012, 12:05 PM
I just read the Marks Adaptors website about 5th gear replacement and it says you can do it with the box in the car . so if not , why not , or are the Marks mob dreamin' . been thinking about this mod myself.

the godfather
7th September 2012, 11:26 PM
I just read the Marks Adaptors website about 5th gear replacement and it says you can do it with the box in the car . so if not , why not , or are the Marks mob dreamin' . been thinking about this mod myself.

they are dreaming. You cant change just the 5th gear. You have to change the main shaft as well. This is not an option, it is a must. Since the shaft splits into two and comes out the top of the box you have to take the box out..

nipagu7
8th September 2012, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the info godfather . I'll put this one on the bottom of the mods list and revisit it again -- maybe if / when the box ever has to come out .