PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Whine - cause?

Timbo
29th October 2010, 09:47 AM
The inside of my fourby sounds like a mini V8 supercar with a 6speed straight cut hollinger gearbox!

If only it went like one!

What's likely to be the cause of the gearbox whining? Running low on oil?

the ferret
29th October 2010, 10:11 AM
I think worn gears not meshing all that well and worn bearings, worn bearings can prevent a perfect mesh, or as you say, low on oil, any leaks??

Timbo
29th October 2010, 10:32 AM
No leaks that I know of.. I haven't noticed any oil spots on the driveway. It just started doing it the other week.

the ferret
29th October 2010, 10:44 AM
Does it do it in all gears Timbo, is there anything restricting the travel of the gear stick, maybe the gear is not fully engaging, is it an overdrive box? and do you pull a boat or caravan? Check to see if the transfer gears are engaging fully as well, could be a linkage problem if the noise has only just started. Are there any "clicking"noises? Are you sure its coming from the box and not a front hub that has spat the dummy?

Timbo
29th October 2010, 05:25 PM
Hubs are fine, don't pull boats or trailors, nothing's clicking and gear box is silky smooth.

Happens in all gears but mainly 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.. 1st I hardly get any speed out of to notice.

the ferret
29th October 2010, 06:41 PM
A stone in the handbrake drum, broken gearbox mount, a sad rear diff, a loose pinion flange, altho that would rattle too, or a flogged uni joint, aircon compressor bearing, just turn the wireless up a bit more.!! Is it the same noise in low range in say ...4th or 5th?

Finly Owner
29th October 2010, 11:14 PM
Go get an older patrol say a MK (5spd) and then whines are normal. If ya don't hear em it's not moving or stereo has good song playing

ROFLMAO hahahahheheheheheee!

Timbo
1st November 2010, 04:25 PM
I dunno.. kinda scary.. I'm expecting something to go "bang!"

I hate doing gearbox oil.

Mrowka
9th November 2010, 04:23 AM
First thing I'd do is change my tranny and (rear) diff oils.

Timbo
24th November 2010, 04:10 PM
Turns out my bearings in the gearbox are rooted and I'm up for a recondition.

Might be looking at $1500.. bastard!

Finly Owner
24th November 2010, 09:19 PM
First thing I'd do is change my tranny and (rear) diff oils.

Yeah I'd change him for a real women. hahahahahaaa