PDA

View Full Version : She blew

teleman
5th September 2012, 01:30 PM
Driving down the F3 near Newcastle towards Sydney. Everything was fine. Then all of a sudden, loss of power, and an emence amount of smoke from the exhaust. I pulled over and it was running rough as guts. And the amount of smoke was insane.

Got nrma out and he recon I blew the turbo. Towed it too a nearby town an got Nissan guys to scan it. They said there were no faults coming up on the scanner. They cleaned the MAF as well. Made No difference. They said it's not the turbo cause there is still boost but it's running so rough that it's in drivable.

No have to get it freighted down to Melbourne which is a lot of money.

I tried 4 other mechanics and no one could look at it. So disappointed. Especially since I know a new motor could cost 12,000.

This is a very sad day. For a truck that has not given want cause for concern.

snewin
5th September 2012, 01:34 PM
Sorry to hear it, hope its something simple.

threedogs
5th September 2012, 01:49 PM
Are all your intercooler hoses intact and not blown off, you'll get a ship load of smoke if that has happened, no power too, rough as guts to drive.
Take engine cover off and have a look.

MudRunnerTD
5th September 2012, 02:20 PM
Ah Damn it mate! Hope that it s something simple as 3Dogs described.

Bloody ZD30

If you are looking at $12k to fix you'd be nuts not to think about dropping a TD42 into her! The added value will pay for half at least.

Hope it does not come to that.

Give Berrima Diesel a call they are up that way and 4wdTV say very very good things about them

Good Luck

MudRunnerTD
5th September 2012, 02:22 PM
http://www.thedieselexperts.com/

MEGOMONSTER
5th September 2012, 03:27 PM
Not a good thing, at least it wasn't a catastrophic event.

boots
5th September 2012, 08:57 PM
For a truck that has not given want cause for concern ? Its an 01 series 2 GU ZD30 - Thats the concern in itself or have I missed something ?

threedogs
5th September 2012, 09:13 PM
Depending whats caused this the first thing to do regardless is fit a boost and EGT guage on a dual pillar pod.
Who knows you may have been able to see this coming and shut it down quickly.
keep us up dated please

NissanGQ4.2
5th September 2012, 09:28 PM
Give Berrima Diesel a call they are up that way and 4wdTV say very very good things about them

Sorry to hear mate

Yeh everything I have heard on Berrima Diesel have all been good reports, have never heard anything neg about them.

Would be worth the while to try and sort it before leaving Newcastle / Sydney, would hate to tow it all the way down to Melbourne only to find it could of been fixed where you are

threedogs
5th September 2012, 09:42 PM
X 2 about Berrima Diesel one of the better service centres around. I know people down here that make a point of going there on their trip north.

macca86
5th September 2012, 09:45 PM
Check all intercooler hoses and turbo lines. I've blown a turbo if the smoke smells really oily then definitely turbo blown. A good workshop would check for play on the imprella nut I think on the turbo which means blown turbo. As said before get boost and pyro guages so you know what the motor is doing. When my turbo blew it still made boost but a reduced amount and made a wizzing whirling noise. Hope this helps

teleman
6th September 2012, 11:53 AM
Are all your intercooler hoses intact and not blown off, you'll get a ship load of smoke if that has happened, no power too, rough as guts to drive.
Take engine cover off and have a look.

Really interesting to hear this. Considering a new intercooler core was fitted at the service 3000kms ago. It was definately white smoke.
Really annoyed now cause I'm all ready on my back to melb and all ready paid for freight for the car. LAME.

Should've told the Nissan guys to look under the cap.!!!

threedogs
6th September 2012, 12:11 PM
We live and learn, heres hoping its not too bad, and just a hose eh
Keep us informed please

macca86
6th September 2012, 02:20 PM
If you checked your hoses and they are fine id imagine its turbo. Get genuine only its expensive 1500 just for the turbo. Good luck let us know how it goes

teleman
22nd September 2012, 06:25 PM
Update!!!!!

So I've had a highly qualified diesel mechanic check the troll. Looks like she's dropped a cylinder. Turbo is fine thank goodness. But it's definatly running off 3 cylinders. May have to get the injectors looked at as well.

Will post another update on the fix.

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 06:33 PM
Most crack number 3 or 4, After the fix . get those gauges fitted nothing better than knowing whats going on.
instead of a red light flashing at you saying $$$$$$$$$$. hope not too costly,

Rumcajs
23rd September 2012, 03:11 PM
I'd advocate for specific thread/section where all member affected could post their ZD30 engine failure details so we could be able to collate what is going on and if the numbers of those affected with the same problem warrant it we should initiate action (something like highly successful campaign against Vodaphone called Vodafail.com) against Nissan as clearly that engine is not fit for purpose.
I think it is about the time Nissan face up to their shoddy business practices. Its a disgrace and consumer authorities should investigate.
Cheers

Maxhead
23rd September 2012, 05:01 PM
I am sure the number of engine failures is up there in numbers but what are we comparing it to???
Lots of people who's motor blows up will jump on the net to join a forum to vent therefore skewing real facts.. No doubt!
I think we need to see some exact failure percentages to be able to say how bad this situation is.

I am not saying Nissan is not to blame but from where they sit with hundreds of thousands vehicles sold they might not see it a recall issue.

On my travels it has been amazing how many Patrols we encountered and the amount of people very happy and unaware of any issues. I have seen a number of them with over 300000ks towing big vans most of their life and lots of those in the 2000-2003 range

Yeah im talking zd30 hahaha

My flame suit is on but I feel there is more to it then a tiny percantage of failures on forums

........... On the move

threedogs
23rd September 2012, 05:19 PM
A bit with Niss here what percentage of the thousands of Z30s sold requires a re call
EG 200 blown motors out of 250,000 sold????

mudski
23rd September 2012, 08:28 PM
i was talking with the guys at Guest 4x4 about the grenading ZD30's. The guy mentioned the said problem here of detonating either of those two pots and said that the EGR recirculates into those two pots. Therefor giving much more extreme heat in the cylinder, hence the problem. I haven't look any further into whether the EGR does recirculate into either or both of these cylinders though. I just came to mind then whilst reading this post.

Rumcajs
24th September 2012, 11:50 PM
Actually, the reason for EGR is to cool peak combustion temperatures as this reduces NOX formation/levels (too effective burn is primary cause or more oxygen more heat creates the perfect environment for high level of NOx ) The inlet from EGR valve is between 3 and 4 I think, but all cylinders are suppose to get the exhaust gases. The issue of this particular design of EGR is that it is not so called cooled EGR (at least we in OZ don't get that version) and very ineffective CCV (closed crankcase ventilation) oil separation which than mixes up hot exhaust gases with oil vapors and deposit teh layers of carbonized goo on no 3 and 4 intake ports (they're closest) restricting the ports. Reduced incoming air creates over-fueling on those cylinders causing excessive heat.
Combine that with a very primitive EDC ECU control which relies heavily on MAF sensor for information about air intake and well we all know the results. What also doesn't help is the idiotic design of pistons and material they're made of.

teleman
27th September 2012, 09:22 PM
Update!!!

So on closer inspection, I am told by my old mans highly qualifyed deisel mechanic, that there will be no "rebuild" required. A replacement valve is what is needed and then a tune of course. This is the good news.

The bad news: while checking under the engine cover, it looked like it has never been taken off. The amount of dirt and crap was quote "insane". Now I pay very good money to service my troll at moderated, and I want to know that my car is being looked after. I know they don't have to clean the engine, but they put in a brand new intercooler and I would think that it would make sence to clean the place up.

The next bad news: it was without a doubt that the blow had been caused by a lean mixture. SOMEONE HAD TUNED THE CAR TO GET MORE OUT OF THE TURBO !!! Which causes higher egt which causes meltdowns. I have been taking the car to the same place for 45000 kms. Surely between 175kms and 206 kms the car would need a tune up. ????

The more bad news.: through the hole road trip , I kept an eye on the temp gauge, which was fine the hole trip, but when w inspected the cooling system , THERE WAS NO COOLANT!!!! It was just water. We even drained the system to be sure.

I think I've been stiched up by what is known to be a very high quality 4x4 service centre.

Thoughts???

the ferret
27th September 2012, 09:34 PM
Hmmmm, I hope it's just a "valve" then, but I have my doubts, unless you have the head off and know for sure?? Number three cylinder???
With regard to your service people, I would be looking for another if you are not happy.
Cheers, the ferret.

MudRunnerTD
27th September 2012, 11:07 PM
hmmmmm..... a couple of things..

The next bad news: it was without a doubt that the blow had been caused by a lean mixture. SOMEONE HAD TUNED THE CAR TO GET MORE OUT OF THE TURBO !!! Which causes higher egt which causes meltdowns. I have been taking the car to the same place for 45000 kms. Surely between 175kms and 206 kms the car would need a tune up. ????

It is unlikely that your service tech would have played with the Fuel on the pump to "Tune" it for increased power. That is generally left to the Dyno Tuner and i am assuming by your kms and the quote above that you bought the car at 175km? It is much more likely that the car got put on a Dyno by the previous owner and was tuned to get the best out of the car.

The more bad news.: through the hole road trip , I kept an eye on the temp gauge, which was fine the hole trip,

Are you talking about your Engine Water temp off the factory gauge or the EGT off an after Market Pyro?

If the Tune was poor then your Temps would have presented that. If your temps were fine then there was Nothing Wrong with the state of Tune regardless of the performance output.

it was without a doubt that the blow had been caused by a lean mixture. SOMEONE HAD TUNED THE CAR TO GET MORE OUT OF THE TURBO !!! Which causes higher egt which causes meltdowns. I have been taking the car to the same place for 45000 kms. Surely between 175kms and 206 kms the car would need a tune up. ????

^^^^
this is a contradiction?
VVVV

The more bad news.: through the hole road trip , I kept an eye on the temp gauge, which was fine the hole trip,

VVVV I think the real story is here unfortunately VVVV

2001 GU series II 3.0 TD.

Actually, the reason for EGR is to cool peak combustion temperatures as this reduces NOX formation/levels (too effective burn is primary cause or more oxygen more heat creates the perfect environment for high level of NOx ) The inlet from EGR valve is between 3 and 4 I think, but all cylinders are suppose to get the exhaust gases. The issue of this particular design of EGR is that it is not so called cooled EGR (at least we in OZ don't get that version) and very ineffective CCV (closed crankcase ventilation) oil separation which than mixes up hot exhaust gases with oil vapors and deposit teh layers of carbonized goo on no 3 and 4 intake ports (they're closest) restricting the ports. Reduced incoming air creates over-fueling on those cylinders causing excessive heat.
Combine that with a very primitive EDC ECU control which relies heavily on MAF sensor for information about air intake and well we all know the results. What also doesn't help is the idiotic design of pistons and material they're made of.

^^^^^Great Post! Thank You!^^^^^

I am very sorry about your car mate, very sorry! Unfortunately you have a 2001 ZD30 that made it to 206,000km! this is a Very good run for a Dog of an Engine. Without reviewing the rest of the thread if you have not done all of the NADS and were not running a Pyro then you are a Statistic and an unfortunate victim of the ZD30! You are Not alone and it is truly a Shame of the Nissan Garage.

I cant comment of how dirty your engine bay was, i dont know how you use it or if you like bog holes? it only takes 1 bog hole to make a mess under there. If you had an Intercooler replaced then they had it off but that is Definitely NOT the time to clean the engine! Maybe as a courtesy they might have given it a blast when they were done but not while the thing is apart. Not that big a deal though sorry.

The water in the Radiator is fairly Average no doubt. give them a spray for that. But, your temps were fine for the trip??? so it did the job.

Blame Nissan mate. I would have commented early and even in your intro if you advertised that you owned a 2001 ZD30~! Its a Dog damn it. No good new mate sorry.

teleman
30th September 2012, 11:46 AM
Very very dissapointed as the car has been in my family since it 110kms old and with proper servicing never gave us cause for concern. I took over the car at 175kms last year and hav been stuck with the costs of wear and tare. I'm talking new starter motor new batteries new tyres. ECt. Only when I got the car have I joined the forum and when funds allow it would be going to the car. Just didn't get there in time with the nads.

Anyway, it's going to Nissan to get a proper quote and we will go from there. I love the car so much and hope to 4x4 gods I don't have to get rid of it amuse I can't afford 13000 for a new engine.

threedogs
30th September 2012, 12:00 PM
Don't think you should name and shame, moderated as the cause of your dirty motor,
I would ring Paul and see what he says, I'll let him know of your concern.

Why fit a new EGR why not just blank it off?

To say I'm not happy is an understatement, two things concern me
you have pointed the finger twice, once for your dirty motor
the 2nd time cause someone tuned as you say too lean.
there is not much you can tune except on a Dyno, Which moderated don't have unless you requested one
Now it seems your EGR is blocked with crud, Don't tell me thats their fault as well.
Early Z30's and your lack of preparing NADS etc may have made yours detonate prematurally
Thats all I'm saying ggod bye

teleman
30th September 2012, 07:05 PM
Look three dogs. No name and shame to Paul. If I wanted to do that I would have done so all ready. I know Paul and he knows me. We have also discussed all above issues and through a time issue, I will be taking the car to Nissan. Paul also knows this as his words were "Jono I can't help you out any time soon as I've 3 cars in the shop which all need new motors. "

Perhaps you are in a bad mood mate? This is a place to voice concerns and issues not to name and shame and not to act like an ass hole. Have a good life three dogs.

the ferret
30th September 2012, 07:52 PM
Carn guys, pack it in.
Cheers, the ferret.

MudRunnerTD
30th September 2012, 10:26 PM
Don't think you should name and shame, moderated as the cause of your dirty motor,

there is not much you can tune except on a Dyno, Which moderated don't have unless you requested one
Now it seems your EGR is blocked with crud, Don't tell me thats their fault as well.
Early Z30's and your lack of preparing NADS etc may have made yours detonate prematurally

Look three dogs. No name and shame to Paul. If I wanted to do that I would have done so all ready. I know Paul and he knows me. We have also discussed all above issues and through a time issue, I will be taking the car to Nissan. Paul also knows this as his words were "Jono I can't help you out any time soon as I've 3 cars in the shop which all need new motors. "

Perhaps you are in a bad mood mate? This is a place to voice concerns and issues not to name and shame and not to act like an ass hole. Have a good life three dogs.

Hey Teleman I think 3dogs point was that you Did infact name the workshop in your "update" post and part of the reason I made my post above was to present a far more likely scenario of a Dog Motor rather than a bad shop.

Obviously 3dogs knows the shop and I agree their name should not really be in your post. I appreciate that you have spoken to the shop as stated by you above but without 3dogs coming to their defense we would not know??

I don't think 3dogs was out of line mate, he was defending a shop that had been named by you.

the ferret
30th September 2012, 10:42 PM
I don't believe in naming and shaming, unless it's real nasty and some one has been fairly ripped off.
I don't see this as the case ATM, the company has a good name and have been around for quite a while.
A little editing might be in order me thinks.
Threedogs seems to know the company concerned more than I do and I am inclined to take his word.
I think its best not to mud sling, so let's clean this up and get back to the issue at hand.
Cheers, the ferret.

Dashar
1st October 2012, 10:18 AM
Berrima Diesel are good, but they are not cheap!

patch697
1st October 2012, 07:27 PM

Hey Teleman I think 3dogs point was that you Did infact name the workshop in your "update" post and part of the reason I made my post above was to present a far more likely scenario of a Dog Motor rather than a bad shop.

Obviously 3dogs knows the shop and I agree their name should not really be in your post. I appreciate that you have spoken to the shop as stated by you above but without 3dogs coming to their defense we would not know??

I don't think 3dogs was out of line mate, he was defending a shop that had been named by you.

!00% agree with these posts.....

Nicely said old mates.