PDA

View Full Version : Wing Style Awnings?? Experiences?

Irvs
3rd September 2012, 10:21 PM
G'day all, I'm looking for some info on the various brands of wing style awnings, I'm looking at the Tigerz11 one at the moment and thinking it's looking pretty good because you can get the tent sides as add ons to it.

Tigerz11 Wing Awning (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TIGERZ11-4X4-WING-AWNING-OFF-ROAD-SIDE-AND-REAR-AWNING-ONE-4WD-/280820125815?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41622f1077#ht_4770wt_1170)

I've been quoted $974 for it complete with sides from 4x4Direct in Cheltenham, Vic

There is the Aussie Outdoor Direct version which is 699 complete with sides plus 99 shipping to me off ebay but it doesn't go fully to the rear of the car which is a bit odd if you ask me.

Aussie Outdoor Direct Wing Awning (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-5m-12m2-Pull-Out-Awning-4WD-4x4-Vehicle-Awning-Camper-Trailer-Horse-Float-/261092380880?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cca5190d0#ht_6670wt_1043)

There's the Outdoors R Us version which looks identical to the Tigerz version, even has the same diagram on the page. But not sure how panels go for it, but if it is the same as the Tigerz it is $90 cheaper.

Outdoors R Us Wing Awning (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ORU-OUTBACK-4X4-WING-AWNING-4WD-AWNING-SAND-COLOUR-/120972169630?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2a80d19e#ht_2415wt_1029)

The Fox wing is kinda out of the race for me as I can't see any sides available for it that suit my purpose (turning the car into a tent as in doors built into wall panels), correct me if i'm wrong.

The Supapeg ones are the same deal with the (no) sides but they look awesome, kinda like a combo side awning and wing.

So at this point I'm just looking for some advice,opinions or input of any sort. Good and bad experiences or thoughts are welcomed .

Cheers,
Irvs

AB
3rd September 2012, 10:32 PM
This is only my opinion but I'm not a huge fan of them.

You set it all up, put the walls on and they look ok if you plan to not move your car for the entire trip but a nightmare to put up and down if you want to go for a drive each day, etc.

I actually like the idea and It's a good invention but not convenient for me. I like to check areas out each day when camping and explore.

But if your a rock up to camp and thats it kind of person with a solar panel to keep your batteries charged for the whole trip then I can see the benefit of it.

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2012, 10:35 PM
Hi mate the fox wing is designed to allow the Oz Temt to zip straight to it at a number of sides and you could have I think 3 Oz Temts zipped to it which makes it huge but expensive.

The Tigerz will be a cheap copy of the Foxwing and the others will likely be indentical to the Tigerz so buy the cheaper if your going that way.

It would be worth investigating if the walls your looking at wont go on the fox wing.

For me, go an RV5 OzTent and a 2.5m side awning. Great setup

P4trol
3rd September 2012, 10:42 PM
I would try and tee up a visit with as many sellers (and all the brands) that actually have this awning style. Even people here if willing.

Actually seeing the construction and quality / lack of is worth 1000s and adds meaning to advice given by others.

Tipsy-tap

Irvs
3rd September 2012, 10:43 PM
Yeah I see your point AB and MR would that be a 2.5m as in length of vehicle or width of awning?

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2012, 10:50 PM
I have a 2.5m long side awning and a 1.2m long rear awning and an RV4 Oz Tent and it is a Winner setup
For mobile touring

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2012, 10:53 PM
The side awning is 2.5 m long and pulls out 2.0m but I think you can get a 2.5 pullout too.

I can setup the side awning in under 25seconds with a second person or in under a minute alone. Pack up in 40 seconds drive away

Irvs
3rd September 2012, 10:58 PM
Sounds awesome, I'll look into that as I like the idea of a quick pack up

Thomas10
20th September 2012, 06:08 PM
Awnings is used for home which have empty spaces in front of that house. Awesome designed awnings can be fined to the following address: http://www.outdoordesignershade.com.au/awnings.html
Number: 1300 069 629,
Address:
40 Epsom Road
Kensington, Victoria
3130 Melbourne, Australia.

chrisandthebeast
22nd October 2012, 08:25 PM
does anyone think that the shade area of these awnings is too small to be bothered with the inconvienience of setting them up and taking them down every 5 minutes

Bloodyaussie
22nd October 2012, 09:28 PM
does anyone think that the shade area of these awnings is too small to be bothered with the inconvienience of setting them up and taking them down every 5 minutes

Well when I go out I usually set it up in the evening and pack it up in the morning.... a good 8-12 hours of use and only takes 2min!!!

Now if you are setting up and packing up every 5min then it's not camping??

Hows thomas10 for some cheeky spaming!!!

Irvs
23rd October 2012, 12:21 AM
Haha, yeah and not even relevant spam.
Still haven't bought an awning, but I think I'm going to go the supapeg or foxwing now, the quality of the build is just better and as has been previously said you can add on tents and all sorts of combinations. More expensive initially but the first time the Chinese stuff breaks your out 600 -1000 bucks and have no awning the rest of trip.

I personally think it's a great idea, plenty of shade but particularly no rain, I cook out the back of my car so thats a bonus and they take about 2 mins to set up with two people and 5 mins on you're own.

Waza
3rd December 2012, 07:11 PM
I just ordered a awning on eBay 2.5x3m $240 & can get fly screen walls or tent walls with screens/doorway if wanted later on. I have a dome swag so I can set it up under cover without worry of rain. Company is ibasetrading on eBay if anyone is interested.