PDA

View Full Version : Prob's with diff lock ingage in low 4wd

PHANOTOM
3rd September 2012, 06:20 PM
I have just purchased a new man series 8 ST PATROL Diesel. (8 weeks old)

Currently I having prob's with engaging my diff lock whilst in low range 4WD. The prob intermittent. Sometimes it engages immediately and other times it doesn't and I have to travel some twenty to thirty metres for it to engage. Of course this is not appropriate if stuck in mud or sand. Can anyone assist? I have taken back to garage who also tested an automatic which displayed the same symptoms as my manual. Also..... if the Dif is engaged it doesn't signal it is dis-engaged when back into conventional 2 wheel drive at times and I need to travel some twenty metres for the steady on "dif on" light to go off. Currently they will feedback the problem to Nissan Tech's for advice. The vehicle is under warranty.

Anyone else having problems? Feedback and suggestions welcome.

Phanotom

Bulbous
4th September 2012, 03:51 PM
That's pretty standard, for the diff lock to engage it has to lock up with the gearing. If it's not all lined up then it cannot engage.
So if your stationary then it's pretty unlikely to line up and engage immediately, thus you have to move a little, or if stuck then the following always works for me.
1. Engage Low
2. 1st Gear
3. Engage Diff lock
4. Let out clutch and let wheels start to rotate (sloooowly so you don't start digging your way to China)
5. Wiggle the steering wheel so that the drive lines get the chance to mesh
6. Feel the clunk when the diff lock engages
7. Drive out :)

Sadly 7 is only optional not guaranteed

nissannewby
4th September 2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah mate you will get a similar occurrence even with air lockers/e lockers and mechanical everything has to mesh and line up before it will lock and until then it wont.

bordertech
9th September 2012, 01:57 AM
The locker switch is also connected to a speed sensor coming off the speedo. If you're travelling over 7kmh when you switch it on it wont engage until you drop below 7kmh. It shouldn't clunk when engaging, my 22 yr old GQ's factory locker is silent when engaging or disengaging.

teno45
9th September 2012, 09:44 AM
A mates having the same issues on his brand new land crabber. Took a lot of explaining before he understood about the gears lining up. He now explains it to others as if it was his idea the whole time.

From experience with his lockers, usually takes a bit of wheel rotation, specifically, difference in wheel rotation between left and right wheels to allow the gears to line up and lock in. That is, if locking in before getting stuck, a slight turn whilst moving should be enough.

Similar would go for unlocking, but straight roll forward or backwards with minimal load would help get it unlocked.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2