PDA

View Full Version : DIY Commodore seats in GQ - VZ

AB
2nd September 2012, 07:43 AM
This is based on the VZ Commodore seats.

Please note that this modification is illegal unless engineered.

There has been a lot of talks about VT to VZ commodore bolt holes and rails being exactly the same dimensions through their entire roll out but that does not seem to be the case.

From what I know there are three types.

1) Like Growler's VX seats, the bolts lined up perfectly to the GQ rails

2) Others have a 5mm difference on the rear bolt holes and simply hone out the holes to fit.

3) Of course my seats were the good ones that did not line up at all so the below is based on that.

The commodore seats have 4 x bolts protruding from each corner of underneath the seat that you need to bolt your GQ rails to. Don't quote me, check for yourself as I can't remember the exact measurement but I'm pretty sure the centre to centre of the GQ seats are 372mm but I found the fronts were more like 375mm...lol...Check yourself first on every hole centre on each seat.

The VZ commodore seats that I have were 350mm centres.

You will need to extend the outer rail to allow for the holes to line up on each seat. By doing the extension you also move the seat away from the B pillar too which is good as they are a big seat.

I used 50mm wide x 7mm mild steel plate for this extension. A lot of people use 50mm wide x 25mm high SHS for this. Using SHS is a good idea because there is a small riser on the outer rails of the GQ seats so by actually not adding any spacer on the commodore seats means that the seats will be on a slight angle.

However, for my own personal reasons I feel safer using a thick flat steel plate rather than box tube. Thats my opinion only and shs will be fine also.

Using the flat plate the seats do sit on a slight (and i mean slight) angle but it is not noticable once you are on them.

Ok....Use some good drills and mark the holes on the steel plate of the commodore bolts, drill and bolt the plate on.

Then mark the location of the two new holes on the plate which should be about 372mm centres. It actually works out perfect to sit the riser flush on the right hand side of the nuts you just put on but...

Mr Nissan isn't the most accurate as I found one seat was 372mm on the rear but 375mm on the front so double check every single hole spacing.

Once new holes have been drilled then lift the plate back up and put bolts from underside up and bolt the GQ rails on. Getting a spanner underneath is a nightmare.....Good luck!!!!

That's about it. Apologies for the poor pics. I will try and get some better ones today.

If I was to do this again I would try and find hole centres that were around the 370mm-372mm mark on the seats for a direct bolt job.

This wasn't a hard job at all but could be avoided if you found the right hole centres on the commodore seats...lol

Pros...Very comfy, great support, feels good!!!!

Cons....Seat adjuster hard to adjust as it sits close to B pillar......Seat belt doesnt retract so well but you could just get your seat adjusted correctly and take off the adjuster knob so the belt retracts better.

Any questions just ask as this wasnt the best DIY post!!!!

97_gq_lwb
2nd September 2012, 08:19 AM
When i did monza seats i used a 10 mm thick plate the one in the center of the pic below to level them out.
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/it250k/patrol061.jpg

If anything like mine the outer rear bracket on the original rails was bent so i bent it back and checked with a level that the front section was the same on the level across to the inner as the rear.

AB
2nd September 2012, 08:21 AM
Good idea using the thicker plate mate on outer....Nice!

Winnie
2nd September 2012, 06:59 PM
Hey AB this is a great write up, I would absolutely love to do this, my GQ seats are starting to give way to my fat bum sliding in and out all the time. Would love a bit more comfort too... mmmm leather would be nice but it would probably get wrecked...
I'm retarded so would want the direct bolt in job, might get onto Growler about that one.

Read on another site that the Commy seats don't work if you have electric windows because the arm rest thingo gets in the way.

AB
2nd September 2012, 09:05 PM
Hey AB this is a great write up, I would absolutely love to do this, my GQ seats are starting to give way to my fat bum sliding in and out all the time. Would love a bit more comfort too... mmmm leather would be nice but it would probably get wrecked...
I'm retarded so would want the direct bolt in job, might get onto Growler about that one.

Read on another site that the Commy seats don't work if you have electric windows because the arm rest thingo gets in the way.

Just double checked mine mate and it might be the case if you have to have your seat forward but if you have your seat all the way back like mine then you should be fine. No obstructions on the door at all.

Winnie
3rd September 2012, 01:51 PM
So does it sit a bit higher than the standard GQ seats or something?

AB
3rd September 2012, 05:23 PM
So does it sit a bit higher than the standard GQ seats or something?

Slightly higher and you also have the side supports that stick out further as well.

Winnie
3rd September 2012, 06:00 PM
Hmmm... found a seat of VX Calais (not leather) seats for $100 20 minutes away from me... so tempting!

AB
3rd September 2012, 07:15 PM
Nice, ask him for the hole centres...LMAO

Winnie
3rd September 2012, 07:32 PM
So I should show him this picture and ask for the spacing dimensions of the bolts? So I'd be looking for around 370-375mm?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19633&d=1346533624

EDIT: image changed to link due to page stretching

AB
3rd September 2012, 07:43 PM
I'm on the phone and can't see that pic for some reason but if it's my one with the measurement across the rails then yes.

Winnie
3rd September 2012, 08:32 PM
That's the one, thanks heaps for that info mate! Even if they don't fit I could re-sell them for more than that

Tappa tappa

AB
3rd September 2012, 08:48 PM
Growler's VX fitted perfect mate.

Also, if they don't fit then you can come down my way for a few beers BBQ and we'll make it fit safely!!!!!

Winnie
3rd September 2012, 09:01 PM
Sounds like a good offer to me, I'll keep it mind! Cheers again mate

chester
3rd September 2012, 09:20 PM
Ive put them in mine if you want to look at some.

AB
7th September 2012, 09:34 PM
Ive put them in mine if you want to look at some.

Hey mate, what seats did you put in, did they line up, etc???

Winnie
7th September 2012, 09:36 PM
The Calais seats aren't going to fit, they're far too big. Measured at around 400mm

AB
7th September 2012, 10:12 PM
400mm centre to centre holes across the two rails?????

Winnie
7th September 2012, 10:13 PM
Yup. Turns out I knew the guy, went and measured them myself.

AB
7th September 2012, 10:15 PM
So that makes 4 types of hole centres then...lol

You could still do the plate but it inside rather than out.

Just hang on until you find the right ones though mate.

Winnie
7th September 2012, 10:17 PM
Yeah exactly, and they were REALLY wide, sooooooooooooooo comfy but wouldn't fit especially with the electric windows.

Bigrig
7th September 2012, 10:20 PM
So what am I getting for TANK???? I'm confused .... need a new drivers seat at the very least, and now concerned nothing will fit (knowing my luck). Ryan mentioned to me about the falcon seats from one of the newer (as in last 5-7 years I assume) models fits in also ... and whilst his were in his falcon, they were bloody comfortable.

So many seats, so much confusion ....

AB
7th September 2012, 10:24 PM
The holes line up fine on each rail front to back.

The problem is trying to find the bolt spacings between the two rails which needs to be around 372mm.

Seems to be 4 different types of commodore bolt patterns.

1) 350mm <---My one in post
2) 372mm <----Ideal!!!
3) 5mm out either way (only heard about this one not seen) <---- Second choice, hone the hole out, job done!
4) As above post 340mm

Bigrig
7th September 2012, 10:31 PM
The holes line up fine on each rail front to back.

The problem is trying to find the bolt spacings between the two rails which needs to be around 372mm.

Seems to be 4 different types of commodore bolt patterns.

1) 350mm <---My one in post
2) 372mm <----Ideal!!!
3) 5mm out either way (only heard about this one not seen) <---- Second choice, hone the hole out, job done!
4) As above post 340mm

Still didn't answer my question ... sheesh ... think it's time I asked someone who knows ...

lol

You feeling the love tonight or what????? lmao

p.s. please don't ban me ... just feeling a bit saucy tonight ... more pepper style than Bernaise ... lol

Winnie
8th September 2012, 02:31 PM
Going to get a set of VY S seats today that already have been modified to suit GQ rails for only $50 how good is that!?

Tip tap tippity tip tappity tap tap ding dong tipsy topsy wopsy mopsy tippy tap tap tipitty wee

Winnie
8th September 2012, 06:23 PM
Put them in, then took them out. Bloke didn't realise that the whole drivers seat rails had snapped and collapsed. So got them for $20! Welded plates in to fix the rails and was ready to bolt in. Bolted the passenger side in first to test fit. No good! Sits far too close to the door. Seat belts don't retract and it's very uncomfortable, door pushes hard against your leg.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/09/41.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/09/42.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/09/43.jpg

So patrol seats are back in and the commy seats are going in the Daihatsu

Tip tap tippity tip tappity tap tap ding dong tipsy topsy wopsy mopsy tippy tap tap tipitty wee

dan dog
8th September 2012, 06:40 PM
I made some brackets that go inbetween the rails and the seats and moved them over about 40 mm so much better. I.ll try and get a pic tomorrow and post up.

Clunk
8th September 2012, 06:51 PM
Hey Winnie youve put them in side ways, I gotta lean me head to the left to ssee!!!!!!

AB
8th September 2012, 09:07 PM
I made some brackets that go inbetween the rails and the seats and moved them over about 40 mm so much better. I.ll try and get a pic tomorrow and post up.

Using the spacer on mine too moved them in a bit and are nowhere near that close to the door.

mrflibbles
9th September 2012, 09:32 AM
does anyone have pictures of other seats in the patrol? nice to see the commodore seats can be made to fit, they just look too big in all the pics i have looked at. I also have power windows so want something that wont be so wedged in?? might have to start measuring up random peoples seats!

Winnie
9th September 2012, 09:39 AM
does anyone have pictures of other seats in the patrol? nice to see the commodore seats can be made to fit, they just look too big in all the pics i have looked at. I also have power windows so want something that wont be so wedged in?? might have to start measuring up random peoples seats!

There's a fair few pics on the other forum. Skyline and WRX seats look to fit pretty well. I've got the Ti bucket style seats so they're not bad but I just want something more comfortable.

mrflibbles
9th September 2012, 01:12 PM
Ill check it out there, just prefer being here!

Winnie
9th September 2012, 08:49 PM
Ill check it out there, just prefer being here!

And who can blame ya! Just make sure you come back hey buddy! LMAO

Bloodyaussie
18th September 2012, 07:26 PM
My mate Pete came around on the weekend with his newly installed seats thanks to this thread and I liked it.

The only thing I struggle with is my seats are leather and it is hard to say good bye to them but today I secured a mint set and will pick them up tomorrow and fit them up on the week end then put canvas covers on them.

I will put my seats away for legal reasons but storage is really starting to become an issue.... wish I had more man space??

AB
18th September 2012, 07:28 PM
Leather seats???

You'll be right princess get those commo seats in, you'll love it...lol

Bloodyaussie
18th September 2012, 10:09 PM
Leather seats???

You'll be right princess get those commo seats in, you'll love it...lol
Yeah I will miss my leather...ooh eerrr!!!

Bloodyaussie
19th September 2012, 03:04 PM
Picked up my seats today.... mint VY but after reading Kristoffa's issue I am worried I have spent for nothing.

I did a quick measure and the front bolts are 350mm while the rear are 360mm ??????

These seats I got are so clean and new looking I want them to work.

Winnie
19th September 2012, 03:09 PM
If you make something up like AB did then they should be fine, mine were direct bolt in jobs (just needed to bore out the rear holes) and they sat too close to the doors, AB's bracket spaces it over a bit.

AB
19th September 2012, 04:09 PM
Im thinking you may want the 350 spacing so you can do the offset as in my post which moves them inwards a bit too.

Bloodyaussie
19th September 2012, 05:04 PM
Well Pete (Irish on this forum) is coming over this week end as he has enough leftover material to do another set of seats and I will just take a plate he made up off and copy it.

I got worried that they would not fit but by the sounds of it mine are the same as Andy's and Pete's.

I want to fit the bloody things now....... inpatient tapping!!!!!!!!

fat pete
19th September 2012, 09:20 PM
i had this seat conversion done on the weekend and when first fitted the adjusters hit the pillar and we couldnt slide seats back,,,so,,we put the drivers seat in the passenger side and vice versa..worked brilliant,very happy with this easy conversion..

threedogs
19th September 2012, 09:56 PM
Has anyone also thought of lifting them up, When Workcover gave me 2 x Strato 3000 I lifted them 50mm, much better vision
I'm 6'

Bloodyaussie
23rd September 2012, 05:51 PM
Finally got round to fitting my seats.. mine are different again to Pete's(Irish) I think mine were VX.

They look like they belong in my car and are so comfy and are in mint condition which is a vast improvement over the stock Ti seats.

Very happy, thanks Andy for this useful post and thanks to my good mate Pete for coming around and doing much of the work.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x260/jpgpz/photo_zpsbd8298ea.jpg

Clunk
23rd September 2012, 09:50 PM
They all look mighty fine there fellas........ Wonder if thr sister in law would notice if I pinched hers out of her Ute and left mine in there lol

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

oncedisturbed
23rd September 2012, 10:12 PM
Looken good, anyone know what would fit a GU? mine are crap

Clunk
23rd September 2012, 11:43 PM
Looken good, anyone know what would fit a GU? mine are crap

But i was led to believe that GUs were the comfiest of all comfy that comfy could be!!!!!!?????? Lol.................. my brothers are crap too

oncedisturbed
24th September 2012, 07:07 AM
hahaha - rather sit in the seat and not on it lol

pjwooly
29th September 2012, 04:14 PM
Yep well jelous they look the part eh!!

MEGOMONSTER
29th September 2012, 05:36 PM
Leather seats???

What's wrong with leathers seats.
NUFF SAID.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

bowen river gq
24th October 2012, 10:27 AM
Hi just reading about what you have done to your seats and the time and expense of it I have just got my seats back from the upholsterers where they removed the original nissan foam and replaced it with foam from a commodore with a small piece of extra foam under the base against the springs for added softness I am six foot six and this still gives me head room and its legal as the seat frame was not modified total cost was $460. The commodore cloth was used with small clips holding it on now the wife isn't whinging and my backs not hurting anymore.

AB
24th October 2012, 08:22 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, don't forget to put up an intro about yourself in the introductions too.

I'm assuming your asking me this question?

VZ seats from a wreckers range from $100-$300 depending on quality and who you speak to of course. Time was a couple of hours and 2 lengths of steel which I already had in the shed.

I considered the refoaming too but found some brand new VZ seats in mint condition so went that option anyway.

Feel free to put up a pic of the refoam seats too!