PDA

View Full Version : Front end issues

teleman
1st September 2012, 02:51 PM
Hey all. Just my troll go through its 200,000 service. Very costly but worth it none the less. Had the wheels balenced and an alignment plus whatever else they replace in the service.
Went straight on a trip up the coast. Sweet. All good. So I thought...

On the Hume about 300 kms into the trip, a noise started. Its like a grinding noise. Not metal on metal grinding but like a rubbing grind. My mrs thought it was just the road surface, but we tested the therory, Its definatly coming from the car. The noise doesn't seem to affect engine speed or steering but it is intrusive enough to cause me concern.

It seems to start when there is a bump on the road. Not like a speed bump, like a change in asphalt or pot hole.

Any ideas?

patch697
1st September 2012, 03:00 PM
Not much to go on but if they've done an alignment I'd be underneath checking to make sure they left nothing undone or loose.

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen.

teleman
1st September 2012, 03:03 PM
Yeah I know. It's hard to explain. But I recon your on to something. Kinda feel weird goin to my mechanic an saying is this bolt loose. Lol.

Thanks again.

patch697
1st September 2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah I know. It's hard to explain. But I recon your on to something. Kinda feel weird goin to my mechanic an saying is this bolt loose. Lol.

Thanks again.

Safety first & foremost brother, always

choppie
1st September 2012, 03:26 PM
Better to check and be safe than on the side, flipped mate

bazz61
2nd September 2012, 08:40 AM
gidday mate , could be worth checking repacking front wheel bearings, had same issue on 3.3 shorty patrol years ago ,intermittant noise grinding on hitting bump on hi way, bearing collapsed eventually, new bearing no noise. Barry Gladstone QLD

97_gq_lwb
2nd September 2012, 08:46 AM
I had something similar it was a stone between the disc and backing plate.