PDA

View Full Version : after market bonnet scoop?

grimace
1st September 2012, 12:23 AM
g'day guys was just wunderin if anyone has bought one those fancy scoops from A.R.E because they make big claims about fitting one of them making the original intercooler more efficient and for the money they are asking for them they would bloody want to! any feedback would be great cheers...

killercat
1st September 2012, 12:37 PM
Purchased both the scoop and upgraded intercooler earlier this year, noted, unscientifically (using hand), that difference in intake air are greater than the factory set up. I agree expensive, however fits like a glove, looks like it would suck in low flying birds.

threedogs
1st September 2012, 01:06 PM
Mine isn't a.r.e but you can tell the difference, if you have a bullbar fitted chances are your scoop isn't working. blue tack some cotton and test.
Mine has vanes directing air to front as well as rear of intercooler. intercooler works at say 60kph instead of STD 80 kph

flatvermin
1st September 2012, 08:16 PM
OK, but where did you get yours from? Oh and how much did it set you back?

Mine isn't a.r.e but you can tell the difference, if you have a bullbar fitted chances are your scoop isn't working. blue tack some cotton and test.
Mine has vanes directing air to front as well as rear of intercooler. intercooler works at say 60kph instead of STD 80 kph

macca86
2nd September 2012, 06:41 AM
Three dogs is yours adr compliant

threedogs
2nd September 2012, 09:57 AM
From memory scoops are ok on bonnets as long as they face forward and aren't impeeding forward vision [see pic]
Price wise you wont get any change from $600,
PM me as it's one of the better 4wd shops in Melb.
You can feel the difference, when I took it off to get sprayed is was very sluggish {normal]

macca86
2nd September 2012, 02:10 PM
Seems a bit much. Are do scoops cheaper than that. My cross country cooler is a great bit of kit reduced temps by 100 degrees

threedogs
2nd September 2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah even $250 would seem a bit steep just for a scoop.
The guy who makes them also converts Z30s from vacuum turbo to pressure turbo for around $700.
NADS heaps cheaper IMO
$1200 intercoolers are over priced as well, but what can you do

macca86
2nd September 2012, 04:21 PM
Yeah its far to costly compared to other performance cars. I got my cooler for 800.

Patrol-Guy
2nd September 2014, 07:31 PM
It's been a few years since this question was asked about ARE scoops. So has anyone bought one of these in the last couple of years? Do they bolt straight on or is it wider than the OE? Are they worth the $$$?

FNQGU
2nd September 2014, 07:53 PM
Aren't there a couple of video's on their website covering fitting? I seem to recall watching them a while back and thinking it would be an easy install.

mudski
2nd September 2014, 08:01 PM
It's been a few years since this question was asked about ARE scoops. So has anyone bought one of these in the last couple of years? Do they bolt straight on or is it wider than the OE? Are they worth the $$$?

The one TD shows, and mine which is identical to his but white, is from ARE. Guest 4wd's in Melbourne here sell them. I think I paid around $500 for it though. And it simply bolts straight on using the OEM mounting holes.

Patrol-Guy
2nd September 2014, 08:11 PM
Aren't there a couple of video's on their website covering fitting? I seem to recall watching them a while back and thinking it would be an easy install.

I was on their website, didn't really look for a video. Will duck over and check it out.

mudski
2nd September 2014, 08:21 PM
Here's a pic of mine.

MEGOMONSTER
2nd September 2014, 08:25 PM
Here's a pic of mine.
And sexy beast it is.

Patrol-Guy
2nd September 2014, 08:26 PM
Yep that's what I want. Looks really good. Like it means business. I can't see any videos on the ARE website. So you're saying that the ARE ones bolt straight on, no problems?

mudski
2nd September 2014, 08:30 PM
And sexy beast it is.

Only two things missing Mick. Td42 and your seats! My drivers seat cushion is getting worse by the day.

Hodge
2nd September 2014, 08:31 PM
I went to Guests after seeing Mudskis, and the bloke said it was straight bold in with their kit and plastic seals ( rubber seals for 4.2L), but the price was $799 ???

mudski
2nd September 2014, 08:35 PM
I bought mine as the scoop only. Just used the old rubber from the original scoop. Found the receipt, it says $550 for injector pump repairs. Lol. One good thing about running a business.

MEGOMONSTER
2nd September 2014, 08:35 PM
Yep that's what I want. Looks really good. Like it means business. I can't see any videos on the ARE website. So you're saying that the ARE ones bolt straight on, no problems?

It definitely bolts straight on.

MEGOMONSTER
2nd September 2014, 08:37 PM
Only two things missing Mick. Td42 and your seats! My drivers seat cushion is getting worse by the day.

One of the two can be arrange, at a cost.

mudski
2nd September 2014, 08:38 PM
It definitely bolts straight on.

And yes it does. Made to fit with OEM mounting. I even have the OEM rubber that's under the bonnet on there...

MEGOMONSTER
2nd September 2014, 08:42 PM
I went to Guests after seeing Mudskis, and the bloke said it was straight bold in with their kit and plastic seals ( rubber seals for 4.2L), but the price was $799 ???

Website says $588.

MEGOMONSTER
2nd September 2014, 09:09 PM
Now I found this in the fine print.
$538 for louvre and scoop.

Rocket55
2nd September 2014, 09:40 PM
Do you know if that's painted? If not I wonder how much it costs to get them painted at the local panel beater?

paulyg
2nd September 2014, 09:53 PM
I paid just over $600 unpainted But that was delivered, came wrapped in bubble wrap and inside a wooden box.
I went to the local auto paint shop and they mixed up some paint in the factory colour and put it in a spray can, and I painted it my self, not difficult and came out very good.

mudski
2nd September 2014, 09:55 PM
Do you know if that's painted? If not I wonder how much it costs to get them painted at the local panel beater?

Mine came painted white from Guests. As my car is white...

threedogs
3rd September 2014, 09:37 AM
They come white but I would clear coat that for a better finish, to fit all you need in a minimax socket set and un-do 4 or 6 x 10mm nuts,
there is a steel retaining plate plus the rubber cushion.
After cleaning the bonnet of dirt etc with an alcohol wipe pull off the backing tape and place scoop in position,
then place rubber cushion and steel retaining plate in position and re tighten the 4 or 6 nuts DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN

MEGOMONSTER
4th September 2014, 10:26 PM
Could you just use a 3M vinyl wrap for the scoop?
I think that's what I'd do plus the whole bonnet also.
As I get lots of glare from my roof rack lights but I guess my eyes just adjust anyway.

Patrol-Guy
5th September 2014, 06:23 PM
Just ordered the scoop, $588 + $42 postage + $10 packaging & admin. Will be here late next week.

Wizard52
8th September 2014, 11:39 AM

Agree with bulbar comment. With standard scoop and bulbar, front half of intercooler does not work as seen in attached photo.

threedogs
8th September 2014, 01:13 PM
Agree with bulbar comment. With standard scoop and bulbar, front half of intercooler does not work as seen in attached photo.
Agree 100% been saying this for ages, The GU was not designed to have a bulbar fitted it just negates to scoop.
Thankfully the after market ppl have saved the day

Oldmate1
9th September 2014, 02:58 PM
Agree 100% been saying this for ages, The GU was not designed to have a bulbar fitted it just negates to scoop.

i have the arb delux bar and the bonnet protector sits higher than the bar don't see how my inter cooler is effected

Patrol-Guy
9th September 2014, 03:07 PM

i have the arb delux bar and the bonnet protector sits higher than the bar don't see how my inter cooler is effected

I got stopped by the police last month and told to remove the fishing rod holders I had on my bullbar or next time he would defect my vehicle and fine me $300. I went to the RMS and asked for their opinion and they told me the same thing. The fishing rod holders aren't allowed to be past the edge of the bullbar or it's illegal.

The law may be different in Qld. I have seen quite a few others around here with the same setup I had.

taslucas
9th September 2014, 04:09 PM
I got stopped by the police last month and told to remove the fishing rod holders I had on my bullbar or next time he would defect my vehicle and fine me $300. I went to the RMS and asked for their opinion and they told me the same thing. The fishing rod holders aren't allowed to be past the edge of the bullbar or it's illegal.

The law may be different in Qld. I have seen quite a few others around here with the same setup I had.

I think you're ment to loosen them and spin them out the way when not in use.

Patrol-Guy
9th September 2014, 04:15 PM
I think you're ment to loosen them and spin them out the way when not in use.

I did not know that.

Ben-e-boy
9th September 2014, 08:42 PM

Its not that they wernt designed for a bullbar, the scoop is poorly designed. The majority of the opening is taken up by slow moving turbulant air called a boundry layer, only a very small amount of faster flowing air can actually enter the scoop, all that because it is too low.

megatexture
9th September 2014, 09:24 PM
They are also having to follow ADR requirements.

Ozmerican
24th November 2014, 11:20 PM
Is there link to take a look at the ARE scoops?

MEGOMONSTER
25th November 2014, 05:47 AM
Is there link to take a look at the ARE scoops?
http://www.are.com.au/Inter/topMountIntercoolers.htm
Just scroll down to the scoop section.