PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Unit for the Troll

Bigrig
27th October 2010, 10:02 PM
G'day all

quick one - I'm trying to get my hands on a small cooler/chiller box that fits in the back, and so far zero luck - I know I could go buy an engel, but it doesn't quite fit in the back (have a toolbox in there) and is a bit 'bulky' (I could strip the plastic off, but don't want to spend $100 only to find that doesn't work either). I've contacted a few different places about stripping the chiller box from a Ti that is being wrecked, but have been told it's a bloody tough job to get them out and reinstall in another car - quote below:

G’day Scott,

To be completely honest it would be a lot cheaper and easier to just buy an engel fridge as the rear chiller box is tied in with the rear air conditioning system which is also tied in with the front system and it would be a huge job to not only fit it but also get it working!

Has anyone done this? Is it as tough as suggested? And has anyone got any other suggestions? My little esky is continually taking a pounding with 6 tinnies and some ice inside it rolling about on the back floor every time I go out and about, and I don't know how many more XXXX Gold "ice creams" I can handle - I don't know whether to lick it or drink it once opened!!! LOL

The space I'm working with to get it in is 225mm (L) x 200mm (W) - they have to be out there, I just don't know where.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Bigrig
29th October 2010, 08:52 AM
So who's installed a 12 volt chiller box? Anyone, anyone? A chiller box that goes into the? Anyone ... anyone? Goes into the Nissan Patrol to keep drinks cool. Which in turn would keep the driver? Anyone, anyone? Keep the driver happy ... (stolen and modified quote from the economics teacher in Ferris Bueller's Day Off) ...

AB
29th October 2010, 09:00 AM
225mm (L) x 200mm (W) is a pretty small area mate unfortunately. I havent used a 12 volt chiller for many years but back then they could only keep drinks cold at 10 degrees less than room temp which is completly useless in summer time. Unless there's new ones out now that are better...lol

I don't know about you but I like my beer blizzardly cold!!!

Bigrig
29th October 2010, 09:45 AM
Now we're talking!!! "Blizzardly cold" is what I'm going for ... and preferably, with less 'foam' on top!! The ones I've seen (Engel - and not cheap) fit in the space as such, and they reckon it will actually freeze if necessary (can't see that, but even 4-5 degrees would be grand). There was one on ebay a week or so ago that measured 200mm by 170mm and held 6 cans and a little bit on top of them (sandwich/bit of food), but I literally missed out on the bid by about 40 seconds!!! It went for $26 ... that said, there seems to be no more of these right across our great nation ...

Oh well, looks like there might be a hundred dollar cockup coming up for me ... I might get the engel and rip the plastic housing off the outside (it's for show, not insulation) and see if I can't 'jig' it around to suit ... there'll be a new thread on this in the coming week or so - title could go either way, something like "Talk to me if you want to install a chiller unit - I am the chiller unit KING"; or more than likely "104, 306 ways NOT to install a chiller unit" ... LOL

Thanks