PDA

View Full Version : Caravan Tyre Pressure

Spoons
27th October 2010, 09:38 PM
I wasnt sure where to put this thread so feel free to relocate to a more appropriate spot.

How do you lot determine tyre pressure for caravans (if you have one). I understand about matching the contact patch of the tyre when towing in sand etc but not sure about on road applications. Obviously the van manufacturer recommends a certain pressure for the tyre but is that laden or unladen? Most tyre manufacturers will only give you a recommended pressure rather than a range of pressures according to the load.

Any thoughts?

Finly Owner
27th October 2010, 11:38 PM
Usually your VIN plate will have Axle group rated @.............kg with.....Ply tyres @ ............kpa cold, .......kpa hot. That's wht you go by.
(something like this) haven't got one in front of me.

My job is making sure our hire trailers have correct pressures for hiring.

Spoons
28th October 2010, 05:44 AM
Thanks Finley,

I had a suspicion I was missing something but wasnt sure. We are leaving tomorrow for Brisbane to have some work done on the Patrol and then to Sydney to visit our Mums so I wanted to make sure the pressures were pretty close to what they should be.

Spoons
28th October 2010, 12:28 PM
Had a look at the compliance plate and it says 350kpa. Does that sound excessive? About 45 psi or so.

Finly Owner
29th October 2010, 12:41 AM
No that sounds about right for a van about 1000-1500kg in total weight I'm guessing is what you must have?

Spoons
29th October 2010, 06:04 AM
About 2500KG all up, tandem axle.

Finly Owner
29th October 2010, 11:29 PM
45psi will be fine in all tyre then. If 35psi makes the ttyre look full and not spread across tread contacting surface then that would be ok, but may cause some soft ride allowing swaying. although 45 sounds high, in reality for 6-8 ply trailer tyres it is nice pressure.

Hope I have been of some help