PDA

View Full Version : tips or experiences on long drives

bsax
27th October 2010, 05:56 PM
hey all,
im planning for a big trip to perth (from victoria) in the gq.
as it's my first time going on a long trip driving (longest i've done to date is probably to wangaratta which is 4 hours for me)

i was just wondering if anyone would care to share some tips and/or experiences you've had on your expedition?

Bigrig
27th October 2010, 06:17 PM
Hey mate - I do Brisbane to Sydney and Melbourne and back again a fair bit (6 times last year), and all I can say is I've only done it once in the patrol (have another car), and the biggest thing I found apart from the usual mental fatigue is that you feel that much more secure in the patrol, BUT being mine shifts about a bit on the road compared to the HSV, it makes for a more tiring drive ... other than that, depending on who's travelling with you, make sure you set up for easy access to stuff you want whilst driving - small esky with ice/drinks, bit of food, smokes (lol), etc ... I also keep a face washer in my esky - sounds dumb, but I use it every now and then to wash down my face and arms - peps you right up (as it's bloody cold) and makes you feel a bit fresher ...

Obviously the other things are basic tool set (screwdrivers, multi-grips, shifters, couple of spare hose clamps, spare hoses/belts, spare fluids (oil, brake/transmission, and water - all for the car!!), etc - you don't want to go ridiculous with it I guess, but good to have some level of independency in case the worst happens. "Prepare for the worst, plan for the best".

good luck with it!!!

bsax
27th October 2010, 06:36 PM
thanks heaps for that, ill take it all onboard

Bigrig
27th October 2010, 06:52 PM
No worries mate - the other thing is just to take a break every now and then - we all think we can simply push on when long distance driving, but good to take not so much a "rest" break as a "get out and stretch the legs" break every 2-3 hours ... Good luck and take plenty of happy snaps of the patrol crossing The Nullarbor Plain for posting on the forum!!!

bsax
27th October 2010, 06:57 PM
yeah plenty of pics will be taking whilest along the plaine aswell offroad on the treks.
yeah i was thinking of swapping every 2 or 3 hours with my mate and yeah run around the car a few times while swapping =p

AB
27th October 2010, 09:36 PM
Exactly as said above too mate, can't agree more.

Also, plenty and I mean plenty of music!

Not the sleepy go to bed music either, up tempo, rock, death metal, blues, blue grass and any funky songs to get you signing and staying awake was the key to my long hauls.

snacks, esky and drinks, smokes, window down every 30 minutes, etc and each time you see a car approaching just slap your face to stay on the ball.

Any idiot up your ass just let them by, don't try and keep up with the 140km/h crew too....No rush!

Finly Owner
27th October 2010, 11:42 PM
I found have healthy meals instead of heavy fatty meals, seems to help allertness. Keep sugary sweets/lollies in console to keep energy levels up.
Keep aircon away from eyes to prevent them from drying and becoming tired.

Just some things I do going to sydney from gold coast.

rkinsey
28th October 2010, 12:26 AM
The longest trip I have done was Darwin to Townsville in 36 hours with three others in the car. We were shattered by the end of the trip and I slept for 12 hours when we finally stopped.

Take your time and do it in easy stages. Have a look around at the places you stop at and rest your mind as well as your body.

Water. Stay hydrated. eat small meals and definitely stay away from heavy fatty foods.

Plan your trip in easy 2 to 3 hour stages but stop even when you start to get tired. Listen to what your body is telling you.

Take spares and tools. Fan belts, hoses, hose clamps, radiator repair kit, hundred mile an hour tape, fuses etc.

Cheers,

Rob

tariadamar
28th October 2010, 05:53 PM
yeah i do alot of long distance driving for work and for fun i just love driving. i find the window down is alot better than running the aircon, also music is a bonus however the radio with regular news breaks and stuff is better than the ipod on random it just seems to break the day dreaming up for me.

DX grunt
28th October 2010, 06:19 PM
G'day tariadamar.

Lotsa great info from blokes.

Please take the time to read this 'linked' brochures.

If you haven't done any long distance driving before, or it's been a long time, I'd suggest you stop every hour/hour and a half. Your body is designed to stay awake during the day and sleep at night.

Although what's been suggested will help, the only real answer to fatigue is - sleep.

http://www.ors.wa.gov.au/_layouts/getAsset.aspx?URI=2467816&REV=1&RCN=D09#223093
http://www.ors.wa.gov.au/TopicsRoadSafety/Pages/Fatigue.aspx#campaign

Take care out there.

Edit: There's 2 links.

Ross

Finly Owner
29th October 2010, 12:32 AM
G'day bsax, great you're doing this trip mate. It's great fun. Apart from all the good advice above, I'd also recomment NOT to drive at night on the Nullarbor. The wildlife comes out to play at dusk and it can be very dangerous with all the roos, emus, camels (yep camels out there), etc, etc. Get off the road by about 5pm and wait till sunup to get back on the road.

When I drive across the Nullarbor I love to camp down on the cliffs of the Great Australian Bite. From Nullarbor Roadhouse head 7km west and you'll find a dirt road heading south towards a communications tower (you'll see it from the highway). Head down that track and pass the tower and continue south to the coast. When you hit the coast track (runs east/west along the cliffs) turn right and you'll find some camp spots along there. In the morning keep heading west on that track until you get to a dog fence (about 1/2 hour) then turn right up the track on the west side of the fence. That'll take you straight back to the highway where you can continue on your merry way. It's beautiful scenery along the cliffs and if you get a chance to experience it you really should.

I prefer not to stop overnight at populated places (ie: roadhouses/caravan parks/truck stops). Get some good maps like the Hema outback maps and find some places off the highway to camp. It's a great experience and this type of camping really makes the most of it.

I'd also not try to get across too fast. Take your time, check out the things to see along the way and do some exploring. Don't just blast past it all.

Good luck mate and enjoy!

Nice post Plassy, should copy it edit and put as thread on own as travel tip.

bsax
29th October 2010, 01:33 PM
thanks all for your tips and experiences.
greatly aprecciated

Woof
29th October 2010, 07:51 PM
Done the Nullarbor 3 times now and I love it, but can get a bit boring so I always stop and stretch the legs every 1.5 to 2 hours, don't hurry just take your time and enjoy a lot of the sights.
There are a lot of turn offs that will take you the see the Bight, absolutely worth seeing it.
As you get closer to the beginning of the Nullarbor call into the Tourist Information centre and get the "Crossing the Nullarbor" map, it is free and gives you heaps of info.
I have found that this site was very helpful as well: http://www.nullarbornet.com.au/
A great place to stop for the night when you have crossed the Nullarbor is Balladonia, fuel is expensive but the motel rooms are reasonable, there is a pool there and a bar that serves great meals.
From Balladonia there is a track that takes you to Esperance, about 200ks of dirt and bull dust, last I heard it was closed but just ask at the bar.

Tracy
4th November 2010, 10:20 PM
I find it easiest to stop and just top up the fuel and strech my legs at the road houses as I come to them, helps to keep me fresh and aslo have no time table to be some where...