PDA

View Full Version : factory locker question.

tariadamar
27th October 2010, 05:49 PM
ok i have used the search but couldn't find much info.

i have a spare factory locker from the rear of a gq i am wrecking and was wondering will it fit into the front. yes i am aware that it may have a different splin on the axle so will have to change a few gears but all the other info a read surgests that they are the same diffs. any info would be great.

tariadamar
27th October 2010, 05:50 PM
oh also i have a preaty solid rear lsd so i feel i would get more use out of it in the front.

tariadamar
28th October 2010, 05:13 PM
wow no one can help me.

Timbo
28th October 2010, 05:17 PM
Wait till people get home from work mate.. some more people might be around.

As far as I know, the Factory lockers in the GQ are Vacuum operated. I'm tipping they wont fit, unless the front diff is exactly the same as the rear diff then I couldn't see why not.

But I've never heard of anyone putting the factory rear GQ lockers in the front so there's probably a reason for that.

Finly Owner
29th October 2010, 12:38 AM
Tony was talking about using diffs from front to rear or vice versa, not sure if it was in a thread here or at club meeting. If you can wait for him to steal his missus's pc again he should be able to answer that one. You could try to PM Tony(YNOT). He's very willing to help answer things like this.

YNOT
29th October 2010, 11:44 AM
GQ Patrols use H233b diffs front and rear and as you already know the spline counts are different (31 front, 33 rear).
The rear diffs are low pinion and the fronts are high pinion, so regardless of changing side gears to 31 spline, the rear diff centre wont be usable in the front without steering modifications-the tie rod runs underneath the pinion. it is possible to bolt the rear (locker equipped) carrier into the front crown wheel, though the crown wheel may need light modification to the inside chamfer where it contacts the carrier.
The other problem you will need to overcome is the rear diff housing is different (the hat part of the pumpkin) between factory locked and LSD housings. The difference is to accomadate the vacuum actuator for the locker. Again it is possible to weld the rear (locker) hat to the front housing, but the vacuum actuator will foul on the front panhard rod.

All up it's just cheaper and easier to fit an air locker than trying to adapt a factory rear locker to the front.

Tony

PS, still no laptop!

tariadamar
29th October 2010, 10:51 PM
cheers thanks mate i will have a look at it and see what i can do i know my dad is the master of manipulation when it comes to mechnial stuff. mechanic for 35 years will do that.

tariadamar
30th October 2010, 09:44 PM
ok i had a good look at the diff for the first time today and decided to put it in the rear it is easier and i will also gain disk brakes and a swaybar disconector.

justrocho
22nd November 2010, 09:29 PM
with the locker up its backside theres no stopping to put hubs in just drive it through

YNOT
22nd November 2010, 09:40 PM
That doesn't always work.

Tony