View Full Version : GU ZD30 Help Please

philws
28th August 2012, 11:15 AM
G'day all,

I am having issues with my patrol, what it is:

2003 3.0L ZD30
Manual
160,000 ks
NADS (Provent Catchcan, Dawes valve, needle valve, blocked EGR, boost + EGT gauge, egt gauge is fitted pre-turbo)

I have owned the patrol for almost a year now and it has always run higher temps. 110k about 14 psi it will sit on 470 (remember that the gauge is fitted pre-turbo so temps should be a little higher), towing an empty tandem axle trailer (~ 500kg). If I hit a hill in fifth gear even with only 1/3rd throttle the temp will rapidly hit 550 i.e. within 30 seconds, it will easily cilmb to 600, at that point I will have backed off the throttle, changed down to 4th and slowed to probably 90k. This is on a moderate incline. I have also found that towards the end of the trip the temps will be sitting slightly higher and will spike much faster.

As well as this my tacho has stopped working, the temps were up before it stopped and haven't changed since it stopped. Every auto elec and mechanic I have spoken to insist that it will be the instument panel itself and just want to take it out and send it to mister nissan to fix. I also get an intermittent speed sensor error showing up (01 04) it usually appears if I am revving hard in 4th, e.g. accelerating to 100 on the freeway keeping it in 4th all the way to 100. after the engine has started and stopped a couple of times the engine light will go out and stay out, it never comes on when just driving around town. I also average about 14L/100

What can I check/do now? I disconnected the crank angle sensor the other day to see what would happen and it threw the appropriate error codes (0407, 0702) crank angle sensor and tdc sensor errors. when I reconnected them the engine light went out and everything was back to normal?

Cheers

Phil

threedogs
28th August 2012, 11:42 AM
Get a thermo gun and aim it at your radiator, then see if both temps are in the same paddock

When you undid CAP sensor ,disconnect battery to re set ecu 20 mins should be ok

Check all earth straps Chassis , battery ,engine ETC

Fuel ok for around town depending on style of driving

philws
28th August 2012, 12:05 PM
Hey threedogs, thanks for the reply, re the thermo gun, won't the radiator temps be significantly lower than the egts? I thought radiators ran around the 100 deg mark whereas the egts are up around 400 (all in centigrade). Will check the earthing but it looked ok the last time I checked. the 14L/100 is a combined around town and freeway (out of 900ks about 350 freeway). taking it easy with the right foot.

Phil

Yendor
28th August 2012, 12:19 PM
How long have you had the vehicle for? has the MAF sensor been replaced?, if not I would replace it first.

philws
28th August 2012, 12:26 PM
Had the patrol for about 10 months. I have cleaned the MAF sensor and also checked the voltages at idle which were within spec (a tiny bit higher but apparently because of the blocked EGR this is to be expected)

philws
28th August 2012, 12:28 PM
Huge favor to ask I know but is there anyone in melbourne who has a 2003 gu zd30 who I could swap mafs with for 10 min to check if that is the problem?

Yendor
28th August 2012, 12:36 PM
Huge favor to ask I know but is there anyone in melbourne who has a 2003 gu zd30 who I could swap mafs with for 10 min to check if that is the problem?

That's a good idea.

threedogs
28th August 2012, 01:15 PM
Mines an 04 and I have a spare maf you can try,
Thermo gun was for engine temp not EGTs , my bad

philws
28th August 2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks threedogs, have sent you a pm

boots
28th August 2012, 08:11 PM
Hi philws , exhaust ? Is it standard . If so and you plan on towing then a modded standard exhaust or new larger one will be a huge benefit to reduce EGT's . Have you cleaned out your intake / inlet componentry ? manifold gunk up pretty bad on these engines and wont be helping things much either .

philws
28th August 2012, 10:49 PM
hey boots, the exhaust is standard, I haven't checked the manifold yet, would restriction in there increase temps? I thought that high temps were usually to do with over fueling?

Cheers

Phil

choppie
28th August 2012, 11:02 PM
Thought! if you get a digi temp gun, try checking exhaust temp pre and post turbo to see what the diff is.

BearGUST
29th August 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm happy to lend you my MAF if you still need one? Whereabouts are you?

philws
29th August 2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks BearGUST that would be great, I live in Nth Melb and work in Hawthorn. where and when would be convenient for you?

threedogs
29th August 2012, 03:44 PM
I take it you're right now with the MAF sensor??

BearGUST
29th August 2012, 04:01 PM
I live in Mount Eliza but work in Port Melbourne, which would be much handier for you I'm assuming.
What time do you finish work? If you can come past Port Melb would be great, the car just sits in the carpark during the day (and most nights).

boots
29th August 2012, 09:28 PM
hey boots, the exhaust is standard, I haven't checked the manifold yet, would restriction in there increase temps? I thought that high temps were usually to do with over fueling?

Cheers

Phil

Less cool oxygen enriched air =warmer EGT's . More cool oxygen enriched air = cooler EGT's

philws
30th August 2012, 11:07 AM
Hey threedogs & beargust, thanks both for offering to help out, I finish work about 7 - 7.30 so don't know if that is a bit late for you Bear? threedogs if you are around inner city or hawthorn and I can swing past after work that would be great? otherwise Beargust I might be able to swing a run over to port melbourne during the day if that would suit you?

cheers

Phil

BearGUST
30th August 2012, 11:40 AM
I leave Port Melbourne by 4:30 most days so 7:00 won't work. I can wander outside and meet you anytime before then if you can swing past.
Shouldn't take long, just swap the whole air cleaner lid over and take her for a quick drive.
Happy to help if that suits.

philws
31st August 2012, 10:21 AM
Hey BearGUST, sorry for the late notice, but would lunchtime today suit you? I have pm'd you my mobile number

threedogs
31st August 2012, 01:00 PM
I'm home all the time if you get stuck available all weekend, just off western ring road near Deerpark shopping centre.