PDA

View Full Version : Centre console removal

Flo-w
26th August 2012, 11:42 PM
G'day

Today I tried to install a new head unit in my GQ. I didn't get too far...

It already had an aftermarked CD-radio and I thought I just need to push those "pins" in to take it out of it's DIN slot. That didn't work and I found out that it's actually attached with screws to what looks like a 2-DIN-slot unit (the lower one is a little storage area). I need to remove both to make space for a new head unit and a CB radio.

I've tried to get the plastic cover off but wasn't successful. I only see 2 screws on each side. It still seems to be attached at the top though. I didn't just want to apply force... I'm sure I'm not the first one to try and get this cover off. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

my third 256
27th August 2012, 04:21 AM
there is 2 screws at the top by the vents and take ashtray out is another behind it

Bigrig
27th August 2012, 07:41 AM
Yep, the screws under the dash at the top - turn the air vents facing upwards and look under the top and you'll see two screws on each vent. And aspect My Third also, behind the ashtray ...

Good luck with it mate.

MC97GQ
27th August 2012, 08:39 AM
The boys are right about those screws, when you take the the surround off there will be plugs for the hazard switch, clock, lighter and ashtray lamp if fitted be careful when pulling the plugs as over time they get brittle.

When you get the plastic surround off you will confronted with a metal cradle with four screws that hold the cradle in place, there should be some small counter sunk screws holding the stereo to the cradle. When you refit your radio and UHF make sure you use similar size screws so that they don't go too far into the chassis of your stereo and UHF and damage any circuitry inside them.

I would also recommend doing a test fit of both before you try to put everything back together, as there is not a great deal of room behind there with the heater box, just to give you an idea I fitted my UHF in the bottom slot as it is not as deep as the stereo.

I hope this is of help

Mark

97_gq_lwb
27th August 2012, 08:43 AM
And if it is a smaller uhf you can buy a cradle that adapts them to a regular stereo size and make it look so much neater.
http://uniden.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=16667

Flo-w
27th August 2012, 10:06 AM
Oh wow, with all that info it should be easy! Thanks everyone.

MC97GQ
27th August 2012, 12:25 PM
Hey Flo,

Throw up some pics of the finished product.

Mark

Silver
27th August 2012, 03:40 PM
every time I undo those top screws in the console I think about them falling down into the ducting.....been lucky so far. Any tips to avoid problems apart from magnetic screwdriver, care, and a bit of luck? :-)

MC97GQ
27th August 2012, 04:49 PM
Hey Silver,

1st option have a few spare screws, the other is blu tak put that on the end of your screwdriver

Mark

threedogs
27th August 2012, 04:54 PM
You could mount a remote head UHF like the ICOM 440.
great unit, main bit takes up very little space.
Hard wired mine to AUX battery via fuse