PDA

View Full Version : Vibrations after 3 inch lift kit.

GQ89
19th June 2010, 02:07 AM
I just mentioned this in my intro but I'll post it in the right category.

I've recently put a 3 inch lift kit into my 89 GQ SWB and been noticing some vibrations when driving around.

I heard off someone you need to get spacers and adjustable arms for different sections but ill be honest it was late in the night and i wasn't paying attention to what this guy said and now im lost....lol

Has anyone experienced this when they lifted and what did they do to overcome it?

Timbo
19th June 2010, 07:17 AM
Yeah the shorties are known for this to happen.

There's a couple of things you can do. You can buy a spacer for the transfer/gear box which drops it down lower and lessens the angle that the tail shafts are on. They are just a simple flat spacer, about 20mm i think? but there is something else you can try first.
I'm not an expert on this (or on anything haha), but you can fit a caster adjust kit which should help. I think they fit them to the front control arm.

Lastly, a simple wheel alignment should help too. I've read that quite a few people's wheel alignment have been out of whack after the lift. Might pay to check that out and re-balance your wheels too.

GQ89
19th June 2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the reply G-Unit, I did hear this was a common problem with Shortys.

The wheel alignment is a good idea, it does sway to the left a bit after the lift so ill see how I go...Thanks:)

patch697
23rd June 2010, 03:04 PM
Yep what G-Unit said x2.... go the gearbox spacers first as thay are the cheapest. & yes you are correct thay do fit adjustable rear control arms to combat this problem as well but thay are pricey so go the cheapest option first. With a 3" you should get away with it.