PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for beginner 4by trip

Irvs
26th August 2012, 08:19 PM
Hey guys, looking for a place to take the truck to get it muddy that's not too far out of Melbourne, just looking for a weekend trip so a few hours out is good. I'm not really familiar with any tracks as i'm new to it all.

Cheers,
Irvs

threedogs
26th August 2012, 09:03 PM
Hi Irvs, you could head nth to Tallarook good tracks and some mud for beginners, take your own recovery gear,
If I can get the front wheels off mine to change tyres I'd go with you. used to be instructor elsewhere .
Good fun up Tallarook.

Or out Gisbourne way, tight tracks and deep bog holes

Flo-w
27th August 2012, 11:33 PM
Everything's muddy right now and lots of tracks are closed seasonally.

The south of Wombat state Forest (and all of Lederderg) is hilly, can be steep but has less mud than the flat highland.

Anglesea Heath is mainly sandy, easy and fun to drive. As soon as you head into the Otways though it can become boggy very quickly.

When I'm out with only one car (with a hand winch) I often have to check the track ahead. Walk down a few meters into a creek and see if you can get out the other side or if you could turn anywhere or reverse back up should you not make it. Check depth of bog holes. And don't risk it any more in the afternoon...

I've been to Bunyip State Park a while ago. Has some interesting tracks but stay away from Anderson Track. I've seen monsters come out of that track fully covered in mud...

Irvs
28th August 2012, 12:40 AM
Cheers guys, will be going with a mate in his hilux, both of us have winches and recov gear, so we should be good, cheers

MudRunnerTD
28th August 2012, 01:19 AM
Cheers guys, will be going with a mate in his hilux, both of us have winches and recov gear, so we should be good, cheers

Good luck mate and have a great time.

Best possible peice of advice i can give you as a confessed Newby..............

You are NOT Invincible! Your 4x4 CAN get bogged really easily, If you can drive around the Bog hole - DO!

Snatch Straps connected to a Towball will kill you!

Have a great day - Join a Club

Irvs
28th August 2012, 01:32 AM
Cheers MR, appreciate the advice, I tend to err on the side of caution as it is and seeing as this is my first outing I'll be careful with the old girl

MEGOMONSTER
28th August 2012, 05:59 AM
Cheers MR, appreciate the advice, I tend to err on the side of caution as it is and seeing as this is my first outing I'll be careful with the old girl

Be adventurous like our mate AB
A bog hole called "Not Too Deep"

threedogs
28th August 2012, 07:36 AM
Irvs team up with Bloody Aussie up Tallarook, safety in numbers.
Drop him a PM