PDA

View Full Version : GU 3ltr owners, ECM relay issues?

big_fletch
26th October 2010, 09:06 PM
G'day guys,

Thought i better post this up for some of the ZD30 owners out there, might be worth doing for a peace of mind thing :smiley_thumbs_up:

As a Auto-Elec in VIC, over the last few months i have had quite a number of 3ltr GU patrols coming with with starting issues (cranking but not firing) and of shutting down when driving. There is also no engine light coming onto the dash when this occurs. I have noticed that this seems to be of the 2000-2004 GU patrols.
Almost all of these have been diagnosed back to a faulty ECM relay (above the interior fuse panal, brown relay). After speaking to Local Nissan dealership and also a few others in Vic they are all saying they are seeing a same trend and that its a "common problem". This is the first i have been hearing about this issue? :confused:

Thought it might be something worth reading for 3ltr owners out there. After hearing this i have changed mine just for peace of mind as my GU has done 190,000km's. Has anyone else heard of this problem or experianced it?

Cheers, Fletcha

AB
26th October 2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks for heads up Fletcha!

I recently sold my 3ltr and never had this issue (didnt have it for long though) but I'm sure this will help people out mate!

Cheers!

big_fletch
26th October 2010, 09:21 PM
No worries gotta helpout where i can. And yer well for the price of a relay its pretty cheap insurance when you think about it :1087:

Fletcha

arinol
30th November 2010, 06:34 PM
thanks alot for the info dose any body have a picture of what that relay looks like for those who own zd3.0 or are looking for one like me. much appreciated, arinol

Atsic
18th June 2013, 02:48 PM
I bought a 2nd hand 2007 3.0L 18 months ago. Had a number of instances when it would refuse to switch the glow relay on, on extremely cold mornings which I put down to an old battery not holding full charge on cold nights. It would eventually switch on glow (listening for the relay click) after a few turns of the key, so i replaced the battery. Also a few times it did die within a couple of hundred meters from home until it got to opperating temp. A couple of days ago it completely refused to glow no matter what. First thing to check was the glow relay which turned out to be fine.... damn. I did a heap of searching on the net and after testing a miriad of things was dissapointingly convinced that the culprit was the ECM. Late last night I came upon this thread and this morning I decided to check the ECM Relay. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and she glows and starts like a champion. Going to my nearest dealer to get a new relay now... YAY....
Cheers and Beers big_fletch for saving the day and heaps of unessesary cash layout.

threedogs
18th June 2013, 02:52 PM
Hi Fletch do you know a part no or do I just ask for a ECM relay???

Atsic
20th June 2013, 09:21 PM
According to the guy I spoke to at the "Parts" section @ Nissan, there is no "ECM Relay" listed for my model GU, but the part No. is 2523079981 and it's blue in colour on mine.
Directly above the Fuse Panel are 4x blue relays.... the "Top Right" relay is the offending one. You have to remove the lower dash cover around steering to get to them.
Cost $149 for someting that's 50 cents to manufacture.......

mudski
22nd June 2013, 11:30 PM
According to the guy I spoke to at the "Parts" section @ Nissan, there is no "ECM Relay" listed for my model GU, but the part No. is 2523079981 and it's blue in colour on mine.
Directly above the Fuse Panel are 4x blue relays.... the "Top Right" relay is the offending one. You have to remove the lower dash cover around steering to get to them.
Cost $149 for someting that's 50 cents to manufacture.......
Unless they change in later models, Nissan Part numbers usually have a letter after the fifth number. Got me thinking now. Might have to open up NissFast and have a look.

nipagu7
23rd June 2013, 03:01 PM
Hi Atsic . have you tested the relay with a multimeter , if it tests up properly it might just have been slightly corroded relay terminals ( sometimes caused by bad earths or dodgy batteries ) could be good info to know if you can check it out .
ray.

Lemo79
2nd July 2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks. May not apply to ours, but it's info like that that makes forums.

meh
25th August 2013, 09:12 PM
After some great advice from Yendor yet again!! Thanks !

It has led me to this thread and as described in the first post this is what my car is doing!! Phone call first thing in the morning to the mechanic to test out!, Fingers crossed

stumpie
31st August 2013, 08:56 AM
On my 03 it's brown [25230-79963 ] $36.20 Total Nissan. The parts guy told me they sell heaps of them.

Nugg
25th December 2013, 08:11 AM
G'day Fletcha
Just reading your post, my patrol has intermittent cutout occurring mainly after engine warms up, normally restarts itself but sometimes stops on side of road for a minute or two then restarts, do you think it could could be the relay. went to Nissan here (Canberra) they only had a used one on the shelf they gave me but it didnt change anything, it may have had it too.
Had the car at three mechanics now but they say nothing is wrong and nothing shows up on the computer.
any advice will be appreciated

regards

Nugg

vidge
12th June 2015, 02:53 PM
Hi Fletch, just joined the forum and this sounds exactly like the issue im having. my patrol is a 2009 my08 zd30 and only done 58K. i just bought it and first week it did this once, but came good. this week its no the driveway still after 4 days of no go. other symptoms are
winding over but no start
no glow light comes on
and no click from the glow relay under bonnet
NATS light on dash stays on when ignition on

I hope this is the problem. will update over the weekend.

threedogs
13th June 2015, 05:40 PM
On my 03 it's brown [25230-79963 ] $36.20 Total Nissan. The parts guy told me they sell heaps of them.

this looks like something to keep in the glovebox

Yendor
13th June 2015, 11:32 PM
Hi Fletch, just joined the forum and this sounds exactly like the issue im having. my patrol is a 2009 my08 zd30 and only done 58K. i just bought it and first week it did this once, but came good. this week its no the driveway still after 4 days of no go. other symptoms are
winding over but no start
no glow light comes on
and no click from the glow relay under bonnet
NATS light on dash stays on when ignition on

I hope this is the problem. will update over the weekend.

It will be a blue relay.

Around series 4 or 5 they changed from the brown ECM relays to blue ECM relays.

It should be the relay on the top right. Although, I have had some people state that it is on the top left (mainly utes owners)

stumpie
15th June 2015, 11:34 AM
Had the same happen to my 03, a nissen dealer wanted to rebuild the injecter pump at a cost of $5000. Ended up being the relay switch $34.00 from the same dealer.

vidge
23rd June 2015, 01:15 PM
It will be a blue relay.

Around series 4 or 5 they changed from the brown ECM relays to blue ECM relays.

It should be the relay on the top right. Although, I have had some people state that it is on the top left (mainly utes owners)

Yep its definitely the blue relay, i gave it a little flick and it came back to life, and starting / running as normal. it has failed a few times since in the last week and im gonna get a new one today. nissan in darwin quoted $149 tho'!!! seems outrageous for a relay, anyone know an equivalent the number on them is 2523079981? ive heard that some subaru's use them

threedogs
23rd June 2015, 01:21 PM
Yep its definitely the blue relay, i gave it a little flick and it came back to life, and starting / running as normal. it has failed a few times since in the last week and im gonna get a new one today. nissan in darwin quoted $149 tho'!!! seems outrageous for a relay, anyone know an equivalent the number on them is 2523079981? ive heard that some subaru's use them

Get someone Like Nizzbits to Post one up for you.
Not sure if Patrolapart sell them, save a few bucks that way.

Bear 69
29th August 2015, 01:57 PM
I have the same problem hard to start when hot I will check out th ecm relay now thanks for all the good info even no it's not my post it was a good read cheers guys

Bear 69
29th August 2015, 02:01 PM
Sounds like it could be the fuel pump maybe or a leak in one of the injectors

rickomortus
2nd October 2017, 04:49 PM
Hi Fletcha, i know its an old post but im trying to find the issue with my 3Lt nissan 08 ute.. cranks but wont start no engine or glow light on the dash.. stuck in QLD..
Cheers
Allan

Hodge
2nd October 2017, 05:11 PM
Hi Fletcha, i know its an old post but im trying to find the issue with my 3Lt nissan 08 ute.. cranks but wont start no engine or glow light on the dash.. stuck in QLD..
Cheers
Allan

It sounds like the crd fuel pressure relief valve could be shot mate. My one was shot without any lights also.
Do not fall for nissans prices... They will tell you the valve only comes with the whole pump assembly. Nearly $2k. They are on eBay .

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-BOSCH-Fuel-Pressure-Relief-Limiting-Valve-Sensor-1110010018-ZD30-CRD-/201427725801

YvoPivo
9th January 2020, 05:46 PM
Hi Fletcha,

Post is some years old but I try to reach out anyway. My sister is travelling Australia with some friends and having exactly described issue (sometimes shutting down when driving, sometimes just cranking. They have a 2002 Nissan Patrol 3ltr Turbo Diesel. In a Nissan garage in Albury they could not really find something until in the end they said gonna be the fuel pump (5000AU$). Mentioning this relais and this post they weren't too interested. Any chance you still work in a garage and they could bring the car there as they will pass Tatura anyway in the next days? Cheers!

BillsGU
10th January 2020, 11:42 AM
If they are still in Albury tell them to go to Bullivant Automotive (0260251251). The owner drives a Patrol and is more "flexible" to customer suggestions than our local Nissan dealer.