PDA

View Full Version : Throttle position sensor anomally !!

nipagu7
25th August 2012, 06:55 PM
A while ago I had a an odd issue with the car (2011 CRD gu7 ) . I drove it to the shops , was there for about an hour , then went to drive home . the car started ok but when I tried to drive off it would not accelerate until the accelerator had been pushed down about 20mm . I stopped the car and revved it whilst not under load and it seemed fine , I then continued on home and it played up the hole way . Even when at crusing speed I had to hold the accelorator down about 20mm further than normal. The next time I drove it ,it was back to normal. I told the nissan guys when it went in for its first service , they said they could not fault it and the computer had not logged any codes . It was all good for a while but it played up again a couple of days ago ,but this time I only had to push the pedal down about 5-10mm more than normal ( plays havic judging gear changes). the next time I drove it - all good . I was thinking about this today and realised that when I started the car I'm sure that I used some throttle ( a hangover from my old commodore ) . I was wondering whether this would upset the cars computer reading of the throttle position sensor . When I get the chance I will try to induce it deliberately to see if this is what is actually happening .In the meantime if anyone could shed some light on this little mistery I would much appreciatel it .

Maxhead
25th August 2012, 07:14 PM
Sounds like what mine does. Very, very intermettant issue but bloody annoying. Switch the car off and on and issue disappears.
I'll tell Nissan but doubt they can do anything if it's not playing up and then they probably would say its normal

..........on the move

nipagu7
25th August 2012, 07:31 PM
It might possibly be normal Nisshead . What I think might be happening is if the accelerator pedal is pushed when the key is turned the computer senses the position of the pedal as being the idle position even though it is partly depressed . Not a big deal , just a pain in the butt to have to remember not to touch the accelerator pedal when starting the car . Also bit of a cheap assed design if this is the case .

Maxhead
25th August 2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah, will check it out tomorrow and try and start with the pedal half way to see what happens but I doubt that's what it is. I know one thing though, it's annoying when towing .....hahah

..........on the move

nipagu7
26th August 2012, 07:12 PM
Well I did a few tests today but could not replicate the problem so for now the mystey continues .

threedogs
26th August 2012, 07:18 PM
Would it help to disconnect the battery overnight???

Jim-m-72
17th February 2013, 07:55 AM
Hi guys I have this problem too with a gu 8 whilst driving along it will lose 10 - 15 mm of pedal when your driving with cruise control on or off it's random Nissan have replaced the pedal but the problem is still there does anyone know what is the cause of this because there is no answer from Nissan.
Jim

nipagu7
17th February 2013, 08:43 AM
Hi jim-m-72
This problem ocurred 2/3 more times again back in august and once in november but has not happened since. There was another post on here where someone had a similar problem and took the car back to nissan who said they could find no fault , but while they were discussing it with the nissan techs he made the fault happen in front of them ( i think by pushing the throttle peddle sideways ) nissan then changed the peddle assembley . I'm sorry i can't remember whose post or any more details as of yet , but if i can iwill let you know

Steve4wdin
17th February 2013, 08:56 AM
I also have this issue with my 2011 CRD. I have replicated this by starting to let clutch out with no accelerater. Yes it is a pain I have to book mine in for a service and will mention to Nissan but doubt if they will help.

Coldcomfort
17th February 2013, 01:36 PM
My GU8 has done the same thing. I think that it might be related to where the throttle is at ignition on time. I think that when it has happened to me I might have had my foot resting on the accelerator when the ig switch was turned on. I did a little experiment and I did manage to replicate the issue. To fix it I just switched the engine off, waited a few seconds and restarted it. Not sure if this a was a coincidence or not.

nipagu7
17th February 2013, 04:28 PM
I think my faults occurred the same way as yours coldcomfort , but i could not replicate it deliberately .

macka82
17th February 2013, 07:58 PM
Mine does it too. 2012 gu8. Very frustrating. Told Nissan about it, didn't get a Greta response. Service manager told me you do realize it has an electronic throttle.... Ah yes I do mate but what does that have to do with it... There is oviously a intermittent fault. Basically they tested it and said nothing wrong. Next morning sure enough did it agian.. Cannot replicate it no matter what I try.

alexx
18th February 2013, 03:20 PM
it could be unclean diesel, try other station next time you pump gas.

Steve4wdin
18th February 2013, 03:56 PM
I seriously doubt fuel issues as it seems a lot of poeple have the exact same symptom. But I could be wrong.

happygu
18th February 2013, 05:45 PM
It isn't doing it just from cold with the Pre-Heat Switch engaged is it?

Just thinking that it may be something computer related to the Pre-Heat Switching......

nipagu7
18th February 2013, 05:48 PM
My car was always warm when it played up .

Maxhead
18th February 2013, 05:52 PM
My car was always warm when it played up .

I can't remember mine doing it when cold either

happygu
18th February 2013, 06:22 PM
Well - we scratch that theory.......

Mine has never had an issue, so I'm just trying to find some common ground....

Mic

Jim-m-72
18th February 2013, 08:19 PM
Mine will go at any time and won't go back to normal untill the motor is turned off for about 30 seconds and restarted the only way to get Nissan to see it was when I turned up, I called them let them know I was coming in arrived 10 mins before knock off and the tech was too busy to look and said come back later so I got a guy from behind the counter to try it then turned off the motor and started again then he said there was a problem so replaced the pedal assembly. We were trouble free for 6 weeks now its every 2 weeks it happens but they won't research to find the fault as no codes come up.
Jim

Oldmate1
28th June 2013, 12:56 PM
my gu9 2013 has just started to get the same problem it also starts to rev high about 2000 rpm at idle. its going to Nissan on Wednesday
hopefully they find something not holding my breath though

Steve4wdin
28th June 2013, 03:02 PM
I took mine in for service a couple of months ago and told service people about the problem and others on the forum talking the same issue. Surprise, surprise they bent over backwards to resolve the problem for me. They updated and reprogramed the ecu and I have not had problem since.
Steve

Lonicus
28th June 2013, 03:12 PM
My 2012 GU8 did the same thing, totally random, hot or cold, with or without any accelerator applied at startup.

Nissan found a fault with the TPS and replaced it all.

The problem has since returned, although the amount of dead peddle is significantly less, about 10-15mm, originally it was about 20-30mm. Now I test the throttle before I head off and if it's bugged I just do a restart and it clears. I'll mention it to Nissan again when it's next serviced.

This seems to be an increasingly common problem with the later models.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

Oldmate1
11th July 2013, 12:53 PM
well Nissan found no fault codes with mine. but it happened again the other day so i took it straight to Nissan while it had the problem
and they are now going to replace the peddle. they said that it has a voltage drop at full throttle it was reading 3.8 volts not 4 volts
and when he was pushing the throttle down the volts would jump all over the place hopefully when the replace the peddle on Wednesday
there are no more problems

Veno
30th October 2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the coments.
My GU6 has a similar but differnt throtle problem. In top gear it wont accelerate past 105 Ks. Then it give the impression that it is speed limited. My diesel man reset the codes that poped up and I still did the same thing but at about 90ks. Is this a fault with the speed sensor? codes related to fuel pump I think.
Veno