PDA

View Full Version : Our 96 GQ has just passed away....

jeffrey
26th October 2010, 07:31 PM
Tragically, today we received the very bad news that the motor cooked while endeavoring to climb the 2nd Moonbi hill - hence the inglorious entry on Saturday arvo into Armidale on the back of an NRMA flat-top

The estimated cost to repair the damage is $14,000(++++) & explains why we are now in the market for another used 4WD (& not necessarily a Patrol)

It would be appreciated if anyone can tell us either

(1) what a wrecker might part with to take the vehicle off our hands?, or

(2) are we better to advertise it "as is where is, best offer"?

Thanks in anticipation of your pearls of wisdom

Gaynor & Jeff

AB
26th October 2010, 07:56 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear that guys and welcome to the forum.

(1) Wreckers will give bugger all money.

(2) I would try and advertise it. Hopefully someone here has maybe gone through a similar situation to offer advice but I would take some photos and gather some information and post it on here, Ebay and Carsales to try your luck Gaynor and Jeff. Obviously it is not worth it to spend 14k.

A lot of people don't read the introductions section here so if we don't get much response after a day or so I'll move it into the general Patrol chat section as you may get a better response there.

Unless you want me to move it there now?

jeffrey
26th October 2010, 08:24 PM
Many thanks for the quick response

Could you move my "plea" to the general chat area now please

regards Jeff

Bigrig
27th October 2010, 01:11 PM
Hey mate - sorry to hear about it - the GQ's are a great truck. What engine was it? The reason I ask (as I don't know much from your email above), is you can sometimes pick up an older model that rusted out etc on a private sale, and transplant the engine from it to yours - if you picked the new truck up for say $4-5K and it was a $2K stright transplant (i.e. same motor), it might be worth keeping if you have done heaps of mods to it. If not, definitely go private sale as is and try to get something for it - wreckers will give you squat usually.

All the best with it mate - sorry I read this today, as about two weeks ago, there was a very tidy 93 GQ Ti up for sale near me for $8K (3" lift, MTR's with about 50% tread, recon transfer case and auto box, new brakes, etc, clean as a whistle inside - no rego though, and petrol only as it was a 'pet project/rebuild' for him) - I dead set nearly bought it for the missus, but alas, she wants a Rubicon - they must come with a lipstick holder instead of a cigarette lighter!!!. Good luck either way.

jeffrey
28th October 2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks for those comments - it was a 2.8 turbo diesel

I will be advertising it in the near future - after I work out how to get photos from our digital camera onto the laptop!

Hopefully someone with far more mechanical creativity than I can do something with it

YNOT
29th October 2010, 11:56 AM
There is a small market for RD28 Patrols with dead motors surprisingly enough, they make good project cars for people wanting to drop in RB25 turbo motors.

Tony

rkinsey
29th October 2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks for those comments - it was a 2.8 turbo diesel

I will be advertising it in the near future - after I work out how to get photos from our digital camera onto the laptop!

Hopefully someone with far more mechanical creativity than I can do something with it

Jeff,

What did the Mechanic want to do to the motor??

My top end rebuild only cost $3800.00 on my 1997 GQ 2.8TD
- New head
- New Radiator
- New water pump
- several welsh plugs
- New timing gear and chain
- additional sundries for putting it all together

Cheers,

Rob

YNOT
29th October 2010, 08:45 PM
If it's been overheated badly the bottom end will be stuffed as well. Second hand motor could be fitted for a lot less than $14k.
If I wasn't in the middle of project Nugget I would consider buying this as a project car.

Tony

AB
29th October 2010, 08:48 PM
Tragically, today we received the very bad news that the motor cooked while endeavoring to climb the 2nd Moonbi hill - hence the inglorious entry on Saturday arvo into Armidale on the back of an NRMA flat-top

The estimated cost to repair the damage is $14,000(++++) & explains why we are now in the market for another used 4WD (& not necessarily a Patrol)

It would be appreciated if anyone can tell us either

(1) what a wrecker might part with to take the vehicle off our hands?, or

(2) are we better to advertise it "as is where is, best offer"?

Thanks in anticipation of your pearls of wisdom

Gaynor & Jeff

If your still hanging around the forum guys and decide to sell it and start fresh then please don't forget to put an advert up on the forum "for sale" section too.

jeffrey
31st October 2010, 07:41 PM
you've given us a bit of a lift Tony - it'll be advertised towards the end of November when I get back from a 5000km trip on my Bonneville!

jeffrey
31st October 2010, 07:46 PM
it's well stuffed Tony - we've gone for a 96 Landcruiser this time around (price & availability being the only reasons we're not driving a 4.2 Patrol)

the GQ really struggled to pull our 24ft Jayco - probably our fault not the vehicle's!

jeffrey
31st October 2010, 07:49 PM
it'll be advertised towards the end of November when I get back from a 5000km trip on my Bonneville!

jeffrey
31st October 2010, 07:56 PM
it's all a bit academic now Rob - the GQ really struggled to pull our 24ft Jayco (probably our fault not the vehicle's!)

we've gone for a 96 Landcruiser this time around (price & availability being the only reasons we're not driving a 4.2 Patrol)

YNOT
31st October 2010, 08:11 PM
A 2.8 litre engine trying to pull a 2.5t car AND a 24' van, I'm not surprised it struggled!

Tony

jeffrey
1st November 2010, 12:18 PM
pity we didn't come across you sooner - you're far more honest than other GQ owners Tony

YNOT
1st November 2010, 02:57 PM
It is a bit late now that you have a Toyota, I'm sure you'll return to Nissan's in time!
If you meet any other Patrol owners in your travels be sure to tell them about this site. We're always willing to help other Patrol owners.

Tony