PDA

View Full Version : window tint removal

pjwooly
23rd August 2012, 10:01 PM
Does anyone know how to remove the sticky crap left behind after peeling the tint film off a window.Mine are now peeling so i was hoping i can peel it all off and clean them up.

Cheers

Pj

choochie
23rd August 2012, 10:08 PM
Meth spirits

97_gq_lwb
24th August 2012, 09:33 AM
I tried several different products metho acetone thinners lol the best and easiest was a goo remover from bunnings

AB
24th August 2012, 09:40 AM
Park the car in the sun or get a hair dryer on to the area to heat up the windows to make it all tacky.

Then you can rub some of the large chunks off with your fingers or even carefully use a razor blade and scrape off the larger chunks.

Use any of the above or even Wax and Grease Remover to get the rest of it off.

Not the funnest job in the world thats for sure!

taslucas
24th August 2012, 10:26 AM
Metho and acetone based products are too volatile and evaporate quickly meaning the area dries before you can remove the adhesive. It's better to use a wax and grease remover or goo remover as said above. OR I find turps works well. Keep the area really well soaked(like running down the glass soaked). While scraping one area, keep soaking the next area. The adhesive will suck up the turps, so just keep adding more turps till the adhesive is saturated.

Tap, crackle, pop

Stropp
24th August 2012, 11:58 AM
try eucalyptus oil , removes anything.

Winnie
24th August 2012, 12:00 PM
try eucalyptus oil , removes anything.

This is what I used. Just be careful with it.

Tappa tappa

pjwooly
24th August 2012, 08:49 PM
ok had a shot at it thisarvo and no worries.There seemed to be two layers to the tint.
The first layer came off just by getting a blade under it and peeling..no probbs.
The second was a little bit harder...This appears to be the sticky stuff cos when you touch it it is super tacky.

Again get a blade under it and off she comes...albeit in patchier bits.

Got two windows done back to bare in about an hour... so very happy
And a quick clean off with the metho.

Silver
24th August 2012, 10:16 PM
ammonia trapped under cling film and left for a while used to be the solution.

It could be that glue and film has changed since then as that comes from the 'early days'.

Gabe
25th August 2012, 10:32 PM
If you can get the film off all you need is a scraper from bunnings (the one you put blades into yourself) and get a spray bottle and mix some dish washing liquid and water, spray the glue and let it sit for about 15-20 seconds and start scraping, cleanest and easiest way of doing it

Mmarcuss
26th August 2012, 12:03 AM
I used oven cleaner and a scraper. Came off so easy. Just have to be Mindful of where your spraying it.

adventurepaul
27th August 2012, 01:04 AM
Did this myself yesterday. Should have gone on here first. I got a steamer, hit it for a few seconds and it all came off, glue and all. It was a steamer for household cleaning and the tint was original- 7yr old.

patrolrulz
17th September 2012, 04:14 PM
Hey u all thanks for the input I now have 2 do rear doors & side windows has anyone had an issue doing around the Demister wires?

Robo
18th September 2012, 02:22 AM
Hey u all thanks for the input I now have 2 do rear doors & side windows has anyone had an issue doing around the Demister wires?

yes you can damage the demister.
ie-- remove the metal from it and no work any more.
power wont pass to allow it heat up.
seek pro advise and or quote.
Cheers

patrolrulz
18th September 2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks Robo
R there any pros here looking would appreciate advice

Gabe
18th September 2012, 01:42 PM
You need to use a steamer to get the tint off a window with demister bars and take your time so as not to take any of the bars off at the same time, depending on how old the film is it shouldn't be too hard, how old/crappy is the tint?

patrolrulz
18th September 2012, 03:07 PM
Gabe I guess it is as old as the truck 6 years the rear doors & rear side wins r RS lots of bubbles

Gabe
18th September 2012, 04:13 PM
You'll definately need a steamer to get it off then and you'll have to use a really fine grade of steel wool to get the glue off especially if the glue doesn't come off with the tint, might just be easier to take it to a tinting place and have them do it for you, if you were in WA i could help you out as i do it for extra crust on the weekends... ;)

patrolrulz
18th September 2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks Guys I will seek a pro 2 do it reckon I stuff it up

Gabe
18th September 2012, 10:25 PM
Might be a good idea, depending on how badly bubbled it is you might still lose them because they might have to scrape the window....

Spike
26th September 2012, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmR8LlGkGJQ&feature=plcp

bad055
8th November 2012, 02:38 PM
i used a little $20 piranah steamer on my tint. had to keep filling the steamer all the time but it took the complete tint off in 1 go. steamer & razor blade.

Rustyboner81
10th November 2012, 01:46 AM
Used to just use razor blades when spraypainting to get overspray and glues off glass. Razor blades and windex should be all you need

BigRAWesty
6th May 2013, 12:11 PM
how do you guys get the tint off of the glass with the defrosting wires in it? (rears) these 2 are my biggest worries

BigRAWesty
6th May 2013, 06:01 PM
how do you guys get the tint off of the glass with the defrosting wires in it? (rears) these 2 are my biggest worries

No sweat. They covered that.. more heat and a good solvent.. I can see mine being an all day job.. 22 years old and bubbled as.. :o and helpers?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

mudski
7th May 2013, 08:01 PM
Can't believe no one has said WD40 to remove the leftover sticky crap. Same as euco oil. Its the oil in it that does the work.

I tapped that app...

BigRAWesty
7th May 2013, 11:05 PM
Cool. Thanks mudski.. ill give it a crack..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Rustyboner81
18th July 2013, 09:12 AM
Stanley blades

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Motorculture mobile app

Rickie3
26th March 2014, 10:33 PM
This is the stuff I use to remove the left over sticky, its bloody awesome http://www.orangepower.com.au/sticky-spot-goo-dissolver/

critta11
26th March 2014, 10:42 PM
Deffinatly not a fun job!