PDA

View Full Version : 240V to 12 Volt converter

AB
23rd August 2012, 07:03 PM
I'm in need of a 240v to 12v converter.

My camper is all set up for 12 volts....Lights

It still has the normal 240 volt plug on the side of the camper which has a couple of power points in the camper but my plan would be as follows..

When camping at caravan parks with power I want to plug into the 240 volt power source at the camp site to run power into the camper then using one of the power points in the camper get a converter and plug the 12v socket of the camper into the power point for lights and music and chargers, etc.

All of the Ebay crappy ones can only supply maximum 500 milliamperes which is about 0.5 amps.

I need on average 2amps would prefer up to 5 just in case.

I found this one...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240V-Power-Adapter-12V-7-5A-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-/320951397118?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aba31aafe#ht_3058wt_1139

• Input voltage: 240VAC
• Output voltage: 12VDC
• Output current: 7.5A
• Dimensions: 157(L) x 90(W) x 57(H)mm

Can anyone confirm that this will work for me or does anyone use these devices and can comment?

Appreciate any feedback!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/83.jpg

Maxhead
23rd August 2012, 07:20 PM
Do you have a battery in the camper? If so, You better off just getting a batt charger

With a battery you still self sufficient without 240v

..........on the move

AB
23rd August 2012, 07:23 PM
I was thinking about that actually.

I do have a spare 65amp battery that I was considering getting the old alligator clips with 12 volt socket set up and a battery charger but seemed a bit dodgy...lol

AB
23rd August 2012, 07:25 PM
Or just charge the deep cycle in the Patrol using the battery charger and run everything as if your camping in the bush...

Maxhead
23rd August 2012, 07:27 PM
I was thinking about that actually.

I do have a spare 65amp battery that I was considering getting the old alligator clips with 12 volt socket set up and a battery charger but seemed a bit dodgy...lol

Definitely set up the battery mate. 65a will give you hours of lighting and other bits and pieces. Get a small charger for when you have 240v to top it up

..........on the move

AB
23rd August 2012, 07:29 PM
Definitely set up the battery mate. 65a will give you hours of lighting and other bits and pieces. Get a small charger for when you have 240v to top it up

..........on the move

Ive got the charger and it works a treat so that seems like a much better option and I don't need to buy anything...lol

Maxhead
23rd August 2012, 07:31 PM
Or just charge the deep cycle in the Patrol using the battery charger and run everything as if your camping in the bush...

Yep, best idea. Still get a small charger just in case but this will sort you out.

I run 2 batteries and a 120w panel in the van so never need 240 unless it's bloody cloudy for a month..or the car don't run . Hahaha

..........on the move

Clunk
23rd August 2012, 07:38 PM
I've got one of those converters AB but I bought it from Jaycar for about $50, the one I have has an internal fan, so it's a bit noisy so wouldn't recommend it for your van. Just use mine outside to run me 12V cooler.

Irvs
23rd August 2012, 09:32 PM
AB, are you running 12V DC or AC appliances? That can be important, not so much for lights but for appliances with motors in particular. I'm a sparky so what I would do for 12V AC is get a 400VA garden light tranny (usually a big heavy blue thing that sits on the wall outside your house and plugs into 240v outlet)

400VA Aquatran (http://www.beaconlighting.com.au/aquatran-12v-500va-waterproof-transformer.html)

Now if you need DC I would do the same thing but put a DC Rectifier on after the tranny which is a relatively simple circuit and I would build it myself but you can probably get something pre made from jaycar.

400VA is overkill but it's just how I would do it. In my trade it's better to be looking at it then for it.

Irvs

Irvs
23rd August 2012, 09:47 PM
Oh and by the way I have used that exact tranny you showed the pic of and it has got a fan in it that has a noticeable whirring noise

I just had a thought though if you only need 5 amps then you could try this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-Adapter-LCD-12-Volt-5-Amp-12V-5A-DC-Power-Supply-Charger-60W-5-5-2-5mm-/120971576385?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item1c2a77c441#ht_3054wt_1135

or even use 2, just fit a cigarette lighter outlet/anderson plug/whatever you like to the end

megatexture
23rd August 2012, 10:05 PM
ive got one a ctek 240 charger and its got a supply mode on it for constant 12v but id just connect it to a batt and use it that way http://www.ctekbatterychargers.com.au/ctek-mxs-70.html

MudRunnerTD
23rd August 2012, 11:16 PM
Yep go the Battery Charger for sure AB that will be the simplest way around your dilemma. A CTek or alike will get you out of trouble.

Hey I'm not sure i like your new Avatar though fella? This MudRunner fella must be a right Goon!

zd30elgrande
15th October 2012, 03:50 PM
Been using the battery charger idea at powered sites for the past two years. It's never been a problem. Set everything up to be 12v and use powered site to run charger. Later down the road, you might buy a quiet portable gen and use it to charge second car battery in the same way. Run the gen for a couple of hours and use battery 24/7. My second battery setup is an AGM that charges real fast, so if I'm on a camp site that doesn't allow gen, we go for a short drive on day two or three etc an top up battery.
Cheers