PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Patrol 3.0 ltr what is the best size replacement tyre

nix4x4
22nd August 2012, 11:54 PM
Hi guys,
I Have a 2011 GU 3.0 manual running a 2 in ironman lift and the OME 17in tyres are needing replaceing soon and would like some opinions on what size to replace them with. I have another set of 285 Silverstones 117 muddies on rims that I use when going bush. I find that the 3.0ltr suffers when towing with the 285s on. I was thinking of getting 285 x 70 x 17 atz or simular but dont want to make performance suffer when towing.
All opinions of tyre choice and size would be helpful.
I have a SWB maverick locked and loaded so I dont want muddies I want a good all rounder that is comfortable and quiet but can handel load cos I tow a 17 ft van and ski boat

Cheers Nick :SNruQWn369624407:

happygu
23rd August 2012, 12:28 AM
Hi Nick,

It is ultimately up to you and what you do with the vehicle. I have the same car, and have added 285's since owning the car. I don't tow too much - only a motorbike trailer, but find it to be acceptable for my needs. I have always had a chip fitted with previous 3L Patrols, but haven't bothered yet with the CRD's. It isn't that I wouldn't like to have the extra performance, but I also find the CRD a lot more driveable than the Di without the chip, especially for towing, and I have been spending cash on other things. The only really heavy loads I towed with the 3L was a fully loaded tandem trailer with Redgum stacked nearly 2 feet high, with the chipped Di and 285's, and I flew up all the steepest hills with ease.

Pro's
I think that the 285's look better, and fill the guards out, but they also scrub on the left hand passenger side front mudflap with the wheel close to full lock
I like to have that little extra clearance for off-road work.
CRD still gets off the line OK with the bigger tyres, even on hill starts.

Con's
If the larger tyres bug you too much, then it is going to cost you $1,000 - $1,500 for a decent chip, to fix it.

Mic

nix4x4
23rd August 2012, 01:23 AM
I can not fit a chip as the car is on lease and I am not allowed to but tyre size is ok. I want this one to tour tow my caravan and ski boat and easy off road trips in high country. I have a shortie for hard core stuff

WogsRus
23rd August 2012, 07:38 AM
i have 265.70.17 which are 31.8' tyre and are just perfect. Car performance is good, fuel economy has not suffered. You could go to a 305/65R17 which would do nicely to

nix4x4
25th August 2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks ill look into it

MEGOMONSTER
26th August 2012, 12:37 AM
A chip can be removed very easily before any service if you worried about it. Really does make an improvement on all round driving performance and pleasure.