PDA

View Full Version : Spartan locker diy install

97_gq_lwb
21st August 2012, 09:50 PM
Thought i might as well start a diy thread on the spartan locker install.
I decided to buy a spartan locker from
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/ronsmachiningservice1/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
This is a comparison of the spartan vs lockright
http://www.locktup4x4.com.au/blog/?p=428
wich influenced my decision.
pics and more to come soon.

Heres a video someone has done on youtube on a gu wich is pretty much the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQSGtD3A0h0

NissanGQ4.2
21st August 2012, 09:53 PM
Hi mate have stuck this in the mechanical section of DIY

Cheers

Toddie

Stropp
21st August 2012, 11:13 PM
That will be handy as that is my next mod, spartan locker!

Bigrig
21st August 2012, 11:34 PM
Hadn't even heard of them - look alright though for the money ...

Good luck with the install and keep us posted on progress mate.

Bloodyaussie
22nd August 2012, 08:31 AM
Funny Southern 4x4 is closing down (30th Aug) and I was owed $50 so grabed a few things including a mint diff centre for $50 so I can do this mod on the bench.

I am leaking from one hub(slowly) so wanted to do it all at the same time so will be very interested in your post........

KL570
22nd August 2012, 10:10 AM
I went on a trip on the weekend with a bunch of guys down to Yalwal near Nowra NSW, and one of the guys had his little suzuki sierra there, which had spartan lockers.

It made this really loud Bang every time they locked up, dunno what it was, but he said its a common problem with the spartan loclers and just needed to be welded in some spot??

feel free to blast me if im wrong, but i would like to hear of anyone elses experiences with them as they seem to be pretty good value for a locker!!

Stropp
22nd August 2012, 12:34 PM
one of the guys I know has one and he has had no problems at all so far, i believe a couple of the guys have them and for the money are great value.

97_gq_lwb
31st August 2012, 09:20 AM
Well it is halfway in i did use the torque wrench when i did mine refer to the manual for the torque specs .
It is a straight forward job quite simple and easy to do nothing i found frustrating the pin locking setup on the spartan was real easy.
The only thing was removing the locking pin on the cross shaft the one in my chisel set wasn't long enough so i found an old allen key and cut the head off it and used it to drive the pin out.
I re used the original pin as well.

97_gq_lwb
1st September 2012, 08:25 PM
All done now will give it a bit of a test tomorrow and see how noisy it is.

KL570
10th September 2012, 11:26 PM
How'd it go man?

NissanGQ4.2
11th September 2012, 08:11 PM
How'd it go man?

Hi mate, don't expect an answer any time soon as I believe 97_gq_lwb no longer visits this forum.

Cheers

Todd

Bloodyaussie
11th September 2012, 08:53 PM
I thought he was the dark one now???????

NissanGQ4.2
11th September 2012, 09:00 PM
I thought he was the dark one now???????

Not that I'm aware of, there is a member Dark 1, but that it not him