PDA

View Full Version : Recovery, how not to do it.

Woof
25th October 2010, 07:29 PM
Just saw this on The 4WD Show forum...........scary stuff.
All of you members that are new to the 4WDing scene please do not attempt any of this stuff when recovering another vehicle.......PLEASE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8lMxYnGIrw&feature=related

Bloggsy
25th October 2010, 07:44 PM
You've got to be joking. They are so lucky to be still alive.

Woof
25th October 2010, 07:55 PM
You've got to be joking. They are so lucky to be still alive.

You right there Darren, I have never see anything as dangerous as what they were doing.

Bloggsy
25th October 2010, 08:00 PM
You right there Darren, I have never see anything as dangerous as what they were doing.

I bet it scared the manure out of the recovery bloke when the shackle hit the back of his Disco.

AB
25th October 2010, 08:07 PM
I bet it scared the manure out of the recovery bloke when the shackle hit the back of his Disco.

Nah, too stupid to even notice the danger. It was all just a big joke.

I got that cold shiver up the spine when he took a run up too...

Double cannon ball!

Woof
25th October 2010, 08:14 PM
Attention: Members that are new to 4WDing can you pick some of the things that this mob of idiots did wrong......................would be good it you only picked one each, no prize but would be good to here from you, it's all about learning so come on give it a go.
Experienced members will not pick on you for trying to pick the faults.

AB
25th October 2010, 08:22 PM
Just reading the comments regarding this video that Youtube members have made. It's pretty disgusting the comments and swearing made on Youtube these days. Youtube can be accessed by any aged child and even with child restrictions on your computer you can still access it. It's now owned by Google and I'm suprised they let members post up pretty much anything they want. Youtube has become another forum of severe abuse and swearing.

Kind of getting out of control these days!

Bloggsy
25th October 2010, 08:22 PM
Nah, too stupid to even notice the danger. It was all just a big joke.

Yeah too true AB, too true.

Morons!!

Bloggsy
25th October 2010, 08:24 PM
Attention: Members that are new to 4WDing can you pick some of the things that this mob of idiots did wrong......................would be good it you only picked one each, no prize but would be good to here from you, it's all about learning so come on give it a go.

Ummm??? Driving Land Rovers?? :biggrin:

but seriously.... good idea Doggy, nothing like a good quiz.

Woof
25th October 2010, 08:30 PM
Just reading the comments regarding this video that Youtube members have made. It's pretty disgusting the comments and swearing made on Youtube these days. Youtube can be accessed by any aged child and even with child restrictions on your computer you can still access it. It's now owned by Google and I'm suprised they let members post up pretty much anything they want. Youtube has become another forum of severe abuse and swearing.

Kind of getting out of control these days!

I don't even bother reading the comments anymore and have not done so for over 12 months................just a lot of foul mouthed Cretans.

NickBGU4
25th October 2010, 11:08 PM
These idiots look like candidates for a Darwin Award, how stupid could you be trying to do a recovery like that. It's damn lucky nobody was injured or possibly killed.

Finly Owner
26th October 2010, 12:37 AM
Doggie I'll give your challenge a go:

1. trying to single strand winch avehicle instead of using ginney wheel to make reduction in double backed cable
2. no one driving stuck 4wd while being winched
3. as said cheap nylon tow rope with steel hooks
4. snatch strap connected to in appropiate recovery points (ie non solid purpose built)
5. Bow shackle in middle of straps( if used, should only be in conjunction with above brackets)
6. too many bystanders too close and no-one enforcing safe t zone
7. no directions coming from trusted spotter

How did I go?

Spoons
27th October 2010, 08:32 PM
Ummm, I dont know what to say. Jaw bounced of the keyboard a few dozen times during the eight odd minutes it ran. From the sounds of them the gene pool could do without their input.

muzza22au
27th October 2010, 08:49 PM
Dodgy brothers at their best!!!

the ferret
27th October 2010, 10:15 PM
Some people just never learn!!
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/strap.jpg

the ferret
27th October 2010, 10:22 PM
No Damper on the wire rope, or the snatch strap, straps should be joined with a rolled up magazine, pulling from the tow ball!!!!!!, yeah, Gene pool is right. maybe they have been hit in the head by a flying tow ball before, or a bumper, or tow bar, or roo bar, shackle etc
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/straps2.gif

After the towball exits the vehicle, it travels further until it runs out of rope, then it stops rather abruptly, and that is when your BRAINS fall off!!!.

Woof
14th December 2010, 02:17 PM
Please everyone be very careful when recovering a stuck vehicle.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/02/3082903.htm
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/teen-killed-after-towing-strap-snaps-20101213-18ub4.html

AB
14th December 2010, 02:38 PM
Coroner Don Jones found that the snatch strap being used to tow the vehicle free had been incorrectly attached to the towball.

Incorrectly attached to the towball???

I hope they mean it "was attached to the towball" not "incorrectly attached"

the ferret
14th December 2010, 03:50 PM
I think that when you do your driving test, you should be shown a video of what can happen in a recovery situation if you do it wrong, you should also see a video showing broken or dead bodies caused by hoons and drunks and the be taken to the morgue and see that life is so easily WASTED.
With this knowledge in the back of a persons mind, some grief could be avoided, but no, the powers that be just hand out licences as long as you can steer the thing.
End of rant!!

growler2058
5th March 2011, 02:21 PM
WOW...............................how dumb can someone be

nowoolies
5th March 2011, 03:50 PM
thats so stupid its dangerously funny
i dont beleive i just watched that
even Lynette couldnt believe what she was watching
the most stupid and dangerous recovery i have had the misfortune to see
the runup he was taking is beyond belife, and i do like the shackle in the middle of the snatch straps ........NOT!!!
and where is the line damper / s

da' maverick
7th March 2011, 03:31 PM
mmmm. who here snatches off a tow ball. not a good idea. but you hear horror story's all the time like its a done thing

MS29431
7th March 2011, 10:42 PM
What a pack of idiot's.. d-shackle's connecting up straps with no bags on 'em using the tow ball and lets get everyone we know to gather 'round and gawk one of the most stupid things ive ever seen and i've seen mates pulling out trees with chain and having the chain break and wreak almost every window and panel you learn how to do things properly when you know what can happen

hekarewe
7th March 2011, 11:17 PM
Just saw this on The 4WD Show forum...........scary stuff.
All of you members that are new to the 4WDing scene please do not attempt any of this stuff when recovering another vehicle.......PLEASE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8lMxYnGIrw&feature=related

there is only one thing to say here,,,, you cant fix stupid!!!! how noe of them get hurt is beyond me!!!!

cnw351
8th March 2011, 02:41 PM
Had to keep closing my eyes, scary. Just waiting to see what the next stupid thing they were going to do. I had a Disco for 6 years before I saw the light; we are not all that stupid.

ambition
19th March 2011, 04:59 PM
I'm pretty much a complete newbie, but I do remember being taught never to link straps together with a great big shackle. Love how everybody is staying well clear of the danger zone though. :-O

nickpeacock36
19th March 2011, 05:18 PM
Yorkshire born Yorkshire bred stront int arm but thick int Yead. As they used to say (about themselves ) And i couldnt agree more.

chester
24th April 2011, 09:31 PM
Is that for real, how dumb can they be leaning against the front of the bullbar as the car is moving forward,and next to loaded cable.
I could hear the banjo's playing in the background.

Bulbous
24th April 2011, 11:18 PM
Sadly it's for real, the guy actually has a channel where he shows some more adventures. http://www.youtube.com/user/cuda2266

pjg4wd
25th April 2011, 05:07 PM
If it wasn't so serious, it would be really funny. You can never underestimate how stupid people can be.
Cheers,

GUtsy ute
25th April 2011, 08:33 PM
Amazingly all those idiots scored the same marks!

Common sense factor, 0 out of 10
Safety factor, 0 out of 10
Death wish factor, 12 out of 10

timbar
25th April 2011, 09:52 PM
Amazingly all those idiots scored the same marks!

Common sense factor, 0 out of 10
Safety factor, 0 out of 10
Death wish factor, 12 out of 10

i agree 100% wat a bunch of IDIOTS

robbo71
13th June 2011, 02:45 PM

Just trying to work out what they did right would be a much easier task..

Woof
13th June 2011, 06:52 PM
Just trying to work out what they did right would be a much easier task..

You are so right there Robbo.

Gert B Frobe
17th June 2011, 10:45 PM
These idiots look like candidates for a Darwin Award, how stupid could you be trying to do a recovery like that. It's damn lucky nobody was injured or possibly killed.

Stupid is as stupid does really. Obviously the gene pool in the UK is extremely shallow at the moment.

Crowman23
21st June 2011, 01:12 PM
I had a look at what these idiots have posted on YouTube and it looks like their trying to imitate them Jackass boys from Amaerica and low and behold the News today Jackass Actor (Idiot) Dead in Car Accident after a few Drinks with Friends.

growler2058
21st June 2011, 01:27 PM
Ive just watched this again and still blows me away what a bunch of beep Heads

snicko
27th June 2011, 12:11 PM

Absolutely gob smacked !!! What a bunch of W@nkers !!!!! The scary part is they think is was done right !!!

To add to the list of things done wrong:
NEVER step over a snatch strap once its connected both ends. (even if its to the idiot hitch - towball)

Last year in our National Park there was a tow ball go through a Disco back window, hit the back of the drivers seat, the piller next to the drivers head, the external mirror (Smashed) then into the dash (Not sure of order)
The driver was in the car !!! He's lucky he is still alive.

Mrowka
28th June 2011, 01:32 AM
I'd say "NEVER step over a snatch strap once its connected both ends. (especially if its to the idiot hitch - towball)."

nowoolies
28th June 2011, 01:58 AM
Some people just never learn!!
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/strap.jpg

holy crap batman that seat even has a new hole in it

belzi82
16th July 2011, 11:05 AM
Ummm what did they do wrong?? Only Joking!!! My god they are compete idiots. Even a girl knows not to do a lot of things they were doing!!!

kenkampala
15th October 2011, 04:00 AM
wow! it is very dangerous!

Winnie
18th December 2011, 02:55 PM
Jesus Christ! Tow ball on each end and connected by a shackle? Complete morons!! They're LUCKY the strap broke and not one of the towballs or the shackle.
I was cringing the entire video.

robbo0001
21st December 2011, 10:50 PM
Was the Disco even in 4wd in the last few "bouncing pulls"?
Rear tyres smoking, front tyres doing bugger all.

Unfortunately, morons are an international species...and are readily found in Australia on your local beach, or track.
Glad no one was hurt...but someone was very lucky.

DeJay
15th January 2012, 06:49 PM
I am a new guy to this but WTF was all that about !?!?! I pick so many things that I LOGICALLY would never do!!!! So, I'll just choose 1 of the many things.... 1:- No saftey blanket on the winch wire ( yea the winch wire with everyone standing around it !?!). So the thought of that wire breaking at the other end that it did break at......That guy holding the spare battery would have no legs....

iht2670
15th February 2012, 10:20 PM
dangerous & stupid Extreme torture on vehicles

Steve.

nullack
18th February 2012, 01:25 PM
Perhaps in these modern times, this is a modern form of evolution and keeping the gene pool healthy? ;) hehe

GQshorty
18th February 2012, 05:36 PM
thanks guys massive help:)

KROOZA
20th February 2012, 05:00 PM
My favourite part of many 4x4ing trips is watching clueless people recover bogged vehicles, i'll happily point out if there doing anything life threatening, but if not, pull up a seat and enjoy. ;-)

VIRK
4th March 2012, 04:26 PM
The dude's lucky that the shackle did not go through his rear window and knock his head off his shoulders...

Mrowka
7th March 2012, 10:21 PM
Perhaps in these modern times, this is a modern form of evolution and keeping the gene pool healthy? ;) hehe

If that is the case, then Darwin ain't working fast enough.

2TROLLFAM
7th March 2012, 10:35 PM
Rightio .. well as we all know, I'm new to this 4x4 world, a girlie girl and even "I" was scared the moment I started watching that !! HOLY CRAP ... Does basic common sense really elude some people so easily??

Silver
7th March 2012, 11:05 PM
There is another lesson to be learned in that debacle.

That is that the snatch strap that failed was of the correct load rating in the system they had.

It was the weakest link, so that 'only' it, and none of the metalwork went flying through the air.

A breathtaking effort really, they are lucky to have walked away.

cobra
16th March 2012, 09:37 PM
Omg seriously thier are some dum arese people out their

benmatters
5th April 2012, 05:22 PM
great stuff looks like they where just having fun, I am sure there are many ways that you could do it better even I know a few but it worked

BIG PIG
18th July 2012, 09:15 PM
that is just dumb i really didn't think people could b that stupid

rusty_nail
18th July 2012, 09:25 PM
bloody idiots, so lucky more damage wasnt done

threedogs
18th July 2012, 09:47 PM
Was just a big joke to them, had no idea what they were doing, hope this wasn't in Aus, complete idiots. can't you put comments on the bottom of u tubes. lucky to be alive. If you're noy sure ASK plenty of people here that know how its done safely. DON'T RISK IT

Rocket55
11th August 2014, 07:27 PM
Listen to this go off!

http://youtu.be/RdgdQ4PBC6o

NP99
11th August 2014, 07:41 PM
The list goes on and on......

http://youtu.be/_aoSRH9Ddhs

MudRunnerTD
11th August 2014, 07:41 PM
It was 2 straps joined. Would be interesting to see how they joined them. It was a Zook so fairly light but it was well stuck. I'd be interested what the other car was and how those straps were joined.

Avo
11th August 2014, 10:29 PM
them fords hold a bit of water hey