PDA

View Full Version : TD 42 manual gearbox GQ vs GU

Pete356
18th August 2012, 04:03 PM
I am about to do a ZD30 to TD42 engone swap and have the option af using either a GQ or GU manual 5speed box. The GU box has had the 5th gear mod.
I am told that the GQ gearboxes are stronger than the GUs.
Can anyone tell me if that is a fact and if so what is different inside the box.
I also believe the designation for GQ boxes is FS5R50A. What is the designation for the GU box?
I cant find any numbers on the boxes.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Pete

97_gq_lwb
18th August 2012, 04:55 PM
What does it say on the trans axel id plate.

Lawrence
23rd August 2012, 05:45 AM
i believe they are the same box, bearing in mind that the Gq has, for the td42, boxes with two different ratios and hence codes.

nissannewby
23rd August 2012, 07:28 AM
They are slightly different the 2 boxes. The GU selector is mounted a fair bit further back on the box than the GQ. Unless you want to some cutting of your body the GQ box won't fit and vice versa. The earlier GU 5 speed did have a problem with 5th gear Nissan did recognize this and fixed any that failed with a revised part. If you are concerned about that then look for a 2004 onwards box as these had the 5th gear problem fixed

Ben-e-boy
23rd August 2012, 09:02 AM
I am about to do a ZD30 to TD42 engone swap and have the option af using either a GQ or GU manual 5speed box. The GU box has had the 5th gear mod.
I am told that the GQ gearboxes are stronger than the GUs.
Can anyone tell me if that is a fact and if so what is different inside the box.
I also believe the designation for GQ boxes is FS5R50A. What is the designation for the GU box?
I cant find any numbers on the boxes.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Pete

pete you need to duck over to the intro section and tell us about yourself and your rig. no harm done.
Cheers.