PDA

View Full Version : Diff Breathers.

Tonks
18th August 2012, 07:32 AM
We are heading to the cape next year. (2004 GU111 4.2 Wagon).

(1) Should we install a diff breather kit.

(2) Should we install gearbox & transfer case breathers.

(3) Are they easy to install.

(4) I saw a kit on ebay from Billet Race Craft for around the $ 200 bucks and they looked like a quality kit, has anyone seen these and any feedback, if not what would you recommend to buy and install.

Thanks Tonks.

megatexture
18th August 2012, 07:41 AM
200$ is a lot just for some breathers just buy fuel line and a 2$fuel filter if you want to do the gear/transfer it would only be an extra mtr of fuel hose and 2 t-joiners you it will cost peanuts in comparison to the billet breather kit , depending on what your driving i think the transfer/gear are already half way up the engine bay

threedogs
18th August 2012, 07:47 AM
X2 with above DIY you'll save heaps for other mods. You'll be stopping at every creek crossing anyway as they're all great photo ops.
Did the Cape in 83' maybe again next year

nipagu7
18th August 2012, 07:56 AM
I would definately fit diff breathers . It'"s been over 20 years since i went to the cape in winter, but the temps were still quite warm and the diffs and gearboxs get quite a work out on the dirt roads and run quite warm. I think that you could probably make up your own breather system a lot cheaper than $200 but at that price if everything is made to fit i would still call it a bargain for the problems it could save you.

growler2058
18th August 2012, 07:57 AM
yes
yes
yes
no on the kit too much$

taslucas
18th August 2012, 10:00 AM
The patrol has great front diff and transfer/transmission breathers from factory. They can be easily accessed and extended. The Front diff joins the transfer/transmission breathers on the chassis rail inside the wheel arch on the passenger side. They come up fairly high but can be extended. $200 for the "billet pro blah blah blah" is way too much. You can buy the little breather cap things for about $8 each then just get a block of something (anything) and drill holes through it for the extended line then fix it to the fire wall.
OR...what i did was buy a cheap fuel filter ($2.50) and put that on the end of the extend line and fix to the fire wall as high as i could.

Tonks
3rd June 2013, 07:39 PM
The patrol has great front diff and transfer/transmission breathers from factory. They can be easily accessed and extended. The Front diff joins the transfer/transmission breathers on the chassis rail inside the wheel arch on the passenger side. They come up fairly high but can be extended. $200 for the "billet pro blah blah blah" is way too much. You can buy the little breather cap things for about $8 each then just get a block of something (anything) and drill holes through it for the extended line then fix it to the fire wall.
OR...what i did was buy a cheap fuel filter ($2.50) and put that on the end of the extend line and fix to the fire wall as high as i could.
Thx the front diff and transfer/transmission lines are up high in the front guard which i think is good enough,
I'am going to extent the rear diff breather up to the fire wall, does it matter which way the flow/arrow of the cheap fuel filter goes ?

mudnut
3rd June 2013, 07:55 PM
I did the front breather as well, and now both are on the passenger side firewall, just under the bonnet height. I have the filter ends pointing down for a little extra protection

Tonks
3rd June 2013, 08:02 PM
I did the front breather as well, and now both are on the passenger side firewall, just under the bonnet height. I have the filter ends pointing down for a little extra protection

Hey Mudnut,
Does it matter which way the flow is on the filter ?
Which filter did you use ?

Thx.

taslucas
3rd June 2013, 08:13 PM
Nah mate, doesnt matter which direction the flow is. The filter just acts as a mesh to stop dust, bugs, a splash of water etc going in there.

Edit, i just used the cheapest ones i could find. 3 bucks each i think...

NP99
3rd June 2013, 09:52 PM
I think you can also use fish tank air filters......

neet_wagon
3rd July 2013, 09:12 AM
You could also fit brass 'bungs' into your snorkel. Only way they'll get wet then is if the snorkel head goes under (in which case your pretty stuffed anyway).

I'll be doing the above on the weekend I think.

Wazza_66
4th July 2013, 07:49 AM
Neet,
Not sure how you are going to be mounting your bungs in the snorkel. Just be aware that you do not create a venturi effect and cause a vacuum and suck all of your oil out of your diffs etc.

neet_wagon
4th July 2013, 09:01 AM
Neet,
Not sure how you are going to be mounting your bungs in the snorkel. Just be aware that you do not create a venturi effect and cause a vacuum and suck all of your oil out of your diffs etc.

Nit sure myself as yet, I've seen pictures of people doing it in the past. Might have to do some more googling.

BigRAWesty
4th July 2013, 09:04 AM
I dont think there is any real negative pressure in a snorkle setup,
I have seen lots done with no issue.
The line is that small I think the viscosity of the oil out weighs the pulling force.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

taslucas
4th July 2013, 09:55 AM
Does raise the question of oil vapours getting on the MAF sensor though I suppose. (even though it would be very minimal and there's the air filter in the way to stop them)

so far so good on motorculture

threedogs
4th July 2013, 01:40 PM
I just used these bits from Ebay,

megatexture
4th July 2013, 05:29 PM
I think you can also use fish tank air filters......

If your referring to the stones that make the little bubbles I wouldn't use them personally as I have to replace the ones in my fish tank every year and a half.

And I've got a simular set up to 3dogs only with slightly diffrent filters