PDA

View Full Version : Bush Hot Water

Steve4wdin
18th August 2012, 08:11 AM
In the last car I had a "Glind" heat exchanger and pump so as we could all have a hot shower. Since purchasing the Patrol, I hot nothing and curious as to what others use. We go bush at xmas for a week each year where the only amenities are pit toilet and a very big dam.

The BigFella
18th August 2012, 08:15 AM
I have explored this subject and ended up with a Glind heat exchanger and pressure pump. I did my own plumbing and the pump is from a house boat, bit over-kill for the troll but does the job with ease. We also have one of those Coleman Water heaters. This is great for the kitchen/cooking side of the campsite. Can even make a cuppa with it at a pinch!

macca
18th August 2012, 08:20 AM
In the last car I had a "Glind" heat exchanger and pump so as we could all have a hot shower. Since purchasing the Patrol, I hot nothing and curious as to what others use. We go bush at xmas for a week each year where the only amenities are pit toilet and a very big dam.

We had a glind and I managed to split the casing where one of the brass fitting screws in, put some hose clamps around it and it was fine but was not keen on it possibly letting go so replaced it with one of these....
http://www.helton.com.au/
Works fine. The shower water circuit has smaller pipe so needed to reduce the hose to the smaller, hasnt made any difference and so far so good.

Cheers Macca

Maxhead
18th August 2012, 08:21 AM
20l metal bucket and one of those $20 shower heads with a pump build in.

Chuck the bucket on the fire for a while an you have hot water and no need to start your vehicle.

..........on the move

Steve4wdin
18th August 2012, 08:34 AM
Macca, did you get the blue or red helton??? Some where I read, red is hotter but better with diesels.

I am more than happy to run the motor for an hour or so on fast idle as I need to charge camper batteries. Dual purpose.

AB
18th August 2012, 09:18 AM
I bought the Coleman hot water on demand off Kris and we love it!!!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/69.jpg

DX grunt
18th August 2012, 09:36 AM
20l metal bucket and one of those $20 shower heads with a pump build in.

Chuck the bucket on the fire for a while an you have hot water and no need to start your vehicle.

X2.

I boil the kettle and put that boiling water, plus top it up with cold. Occasionally I might have to reboil the kettle for a 2nd lot.

It's amazing how much you can enjoy a 20lt shower. At home I'm sure it takes nearly 20lts for the water to get through the pipes to my shower. lol

Down the track I might get some sort of set up under my bonnet, but not high on my priority list at the moment.

Can't have too many mod cons. I won't have anything to do when I go camping. :p lol

MudRunnerTD
18th August 2012, 10:18 AM
I bought the Coleman hot water on demand off Kris and we love it!!!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/69.jpg

I also have one of these and rate it very very highly for base camping! Awesome and Simple. Fast instantaneous hot water in the tent!. Winner

I have another setup for a camp with a Fire and will take some pics and post them here. Many many if my friends run a similar setup to mine and it is a winner. (Not my idea)

Maxhead
18th August 2012, 10:35 AM
Here's a more permanent setup I saw the other day . Be good for a large camp group for lengthily stays...haha

Fill it up and put a tap on it

Safety edit:Of course some kind of steam release system...lol

..........on the move

Winnie
18th August 2012, 10:38 AM
When we used to go camping for a couple of weeks over Easter, we took a 44 gallon drum which sat pretty much in the fire permanently. It was always full of water so we constantly had hot water.

macca
18th August 2012, 11:09 AM
Macca, did you get the blue or red helton??? Some where I read, red is hotter but better with diesels.

I am more than happy to run the motor for an hour or so on fast idle as I need to charge camper batteries. Dual purpose.

Got the red one as I have a storage tank, heat the water on the way to camp. Set up and have a lovely hot shower!!

The BigFella
18th August 2012, 11:50 AM
what I did find with the Glind was that by adding a tap in the outlet line we could regulate the temp a lot better.
With the pressure pump it only pumps when it senses a pressure drop in the line, eg: when you turn the shower off it stops pumping.
Was a tad frustrating showering with scalding hot then luke warm so the tap now restricts the flow enough to have a constant temp.
Easy to adjust and works a treat. I suspect this may have been caused by the "over-kill" size of the pump? Not sure,,,,,,,

Stropp
18th August 2012, 01:48 PM
x3 nisshead, i have the bucket with a 12v bilge pump to drop into the hot water, hose to shower head and i have it hooked to the battery with a marine starter button sealed into a end cap from a 50mm pvc pipe and cable to battery, easy as step on the starter and water flows, the 20ltr bucket is heaps to have a decent shower and for about $40 all up cheap as.

cazzaritch
26th October 2012, 09:04 PM
We have a couple of black plastic buckets that have lids that we leave out in the sun to warm up, then a 12v shower pump. This only works well on nice hot days when you dont really need a hot shower, but taking the chill off the water is lovely.

We also have a coleman hot water system, but have found them really unreliable, we are on our third now and that one has gone bad too. Hubby is on the process of converting the battery thing (sorry I'm not technical) to being a 12v feed that will come straight off the power pack in the trailer via anderson plug or cigarette lighter. We are hoping that this makes it work better......

threedogs
26th October 2012, 09:17 PM
Heres mine leave on or by the fire all weekend, hot water for a cuppa or washing up

Made the mistake of listening to a mate and cut 3" out of it

Winnie
26th October 2012, 09:18 PM
Was waiting for a gizmo from you. Very lo-tech, me likey. KISS

DIAL-A-TAP

threedogs
26th October 2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks Winnie, just thinking I've seen a few cast iron fire extingishers I reckon would come in handy, any work yet?

Cuppa
26th October 2012, 09:36 PM
Have plumbed a 25 litre calorifier into our Patrol. We have one in our bus & have been very happy with it. Basically a heat exchanger inside an insulated tank, connected to to a pressure pump. Drive (or run motor) for 20 minutes or so & have hot water which stays hot for 2 to 3 days. It is fitted with a tempering valve which adjusts output temp to whatever we set it at by automatically adding cold water.

Cuppa