PDA

View Full Version : sway bar

jbs
25th October 2010, 11:54 AM
wat are the pros n cons of the removable sway bar

MudRunnerTD
27th October 2010, 08:29 AM
if you remove it it will obviously affect the handling.

which one are you looking to take off? and why?

I took of the rear on my GQ very early and never looked for it again but if i had a disconnect i probably would have kept it.

The front one i have manual disconnects and run it on the road and remove it for the bush.

On the GU IV i have the rear in place and did not have the extensions for the front when i did the lift so ran without it on the front and have to say i will remove the sway bar all together from the front as the thing is great with a very good rear and drop boxes in the front. Good flex and great handling. This is just mine and you should make the decision yourself if this is what you are going to do. The GU IV sway bars are far more substantial that the GQ ones and the rear GU one makes a big difference.

Hope that helps a little.

Bigrig
27th October 2010, 01:55 PM
Same as MudRunner mate - what are you wanting to do? What sort of truck do you have? Removing it allows for greater articulation of the suspension setup, but also affects handling on road (more body roll, braking etc). Some patrols (Ti's etc) have a manual disconnect on the rear, but if the suspension has been lifted, half the time the factory disconnect isn't modified and actually doesn't work (I know this as mine is a perfect example). I disconnect the front sway bar when I'm out and about as the front doesn't articulate as much as the rear (more a shockie problem on mine, but the sway bar off allows a fair bit more swing). The other problem you might encounter with the sway bars off is it lets the suspension travel too far for the shock/spring setup, and you run the gauntlet of bottoming/topping out your shocks (and damaging them causing oil loss/lockup), and even worse, throwing out a spring (rare, but worth noting - not something you want happening out in the middle of nowhere). That said, with the right setup, dropping them off when out in the bush generally means the wheels stay on the deck longer when tackling challenges, and hence more fun!!! I fully tested mine on ramps with and without the sway bars to suss out exactly what benefit it gave me, and also took a bit 'easier/slower' till I got used to the softer 'feel' of the articulation when offroad. Note that quick disconnects are good, however, you'll need something to hold the swaybar up once disconnected - a mate of mine has them, and proud as punch, he dropped the pins out on a recent trip and only at that point realised nothing was holding the now swinging freely sway bars - which can obviously hook up on underbody obstacles and cause unwanted damage!!

Bigrig
27th October 2010, 01:56 PM
Note my comment above - I think it's an Australian wide rule, but in Qld/NSW it's illegal to have the sway bars disconnected on road. Sorry, should have added that.

tariadamar
28th October 2010, 04:48 PM
i only have the one in the rear of my car and the mount brock on me so i had non. this is not cool u really do need a swaybar in their some where if u are driving the car everyday. if it is a fun thing that u only drive when u go 4wding then u may survive without them.

mudtrolluk
3rd November 2010, 05:35 AM
I've removed both of mine, way different handling on and off road. Some times I see the road a little close to the wing mirror and fun on S bends to, however yet to fall over. Think best is disconnects i would but no one sells them here.

Bigrig
3rd November 2010, 09:25 AM
I've removed both of mine, way different handling on and off road. Some times I see the road a little close to the wing mirror and fun on S bends to, however yet to fall over. Think best is disconnects i would but no one sells them here.

Met any classy Essex girls lately mate?? I lived in England for 2 years, and (apparently) there is something in the water in Essex that makes the girls go a bit ... well ... let's say, adventurous!!! LOL
If you're after a set of quick disconnects, find out the price for postage from here and have a set sent over ... there's a heap of places you can buy them here, but if you need a hand, let us know - heaps of blokes on here that can steer you in the right direction. Might be worthwhile checking US and Asian prices and shipping also ...

Russell1974
4th November 2010, 07:36 PM
Have a GU and removed the front sway bar and the handling is so much better the only thing I can sugest is take one or both of and try it out you can always put them back on if you dont like it

mudtrolluk
10th November 2010, 01:25 AM
Met any classy Essex girls lately mate?? I lived in England for 2 years, and (apparently) there is something in the water in Essex that makes the girls go a bit ... well ... let's say, adventurous!!! LOL

Yep married one, wink wink. :bananarock: Where were you in the uk, get off-road while here? And thanks for the offer on parts, I’ll PM you when or if I ever have cash for parts.
Thanks, phil.

Bigrig
10th November 2010, 11:15 PM
Yep married one, wink wink. :bananarock: Where were you in the uk, get off-road while here? And thanks for the offer on parts, I’ll PM you when or if I ever have cash for parts.
Thanks, phil.

I lived in a couple places over there mate - London, Leicester, Milton Keynes, Leyton Buzzard/Linslade, Bicester ... have to admit, I heard of off-roading when I was there, but I recall they were called "green lanes" and went through people's properties etc - is that right?? Again, was a while back, but sort of didn't think there was much of a 'full on' 4WD'ing scene in England - mostly due I thought to the lack of places to go. Happy to be wrong, and all the better for it - the more people out there doing it the better!!!

No worries on the offer - be happy to help if the need ever arises.

mudtrolluk
11th November 2010, 03:19 AM
, I heard of off-roading when I was there, but I recall they were called "green lanes" and went through people's properties etc - is that right??

Ha Ha, yep many do go throw properties, front gardens, golf courses etc. Most are cool if you’re vigilant and SLOW. Me and the boy go out at weekends and bumble around them. The one’s people try to block of illegally that pose the most fun as you’re allowed to try to pass or remove obstructions. One farmer tried to block of a “green lane” and created a lovely, half mile of rock crawling, the likes of which increased traffic 3 fold,:bigthumbup: he’s since seen sense and resurfaced track so is boring and unused.
However sometimes you meet motor bikes on single tracks doing 60mph head on round blind corners! Missed them all so far, one used a ditch to stop, but was all ok.
More private land club are opening all the time for 4x4s. We have 5 in 50 miles of me, so always somewhere to try and break the truck.

YNOT
11th November 2010, 02:53 PM
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the sway bar discussion. I've had a GU wagon with front sway bar removed, a GQ wagon with no sway bars, and my current GU wagon with both fitted, so I do have some personal experience with the subject.

Sway bars are fitted to reduce body roll or sway (hence their name), but they do tend to inhibit articulation off road. Having driven the vehicles above I can honestly say that my GU with both sway bars fitted handles much better than the other 2 wagons did. A lot of people will say you get used to driving without sway bars and this is true. But consider this, your driving down a street with your family in the car when a drunk speeding unlicensed driver suddenly pulls out from a side street without looking. You're forced to take instant and violent evasive action to avoid a major accident, causing the vehicle to lean heavily to one side before flicking back to the other side. You don't have time to think or plan in these emergency situations, it does not matter how used to driving without sway bars you are, in these situations they can make a major difference to the vehicles handling. I'm not suggesting that having sway bars will stop you having accidents, just weigh up the cost of a set of sway bar disconnects against what might happen in an emergency.

The following photos are of my first GU.
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/100_0580.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/100_0578Medium-1.jpg

The suspension is Snake racing mega lift springs and (Tough dog) shocks. Measured from wheel rim to mud guard that's half a meter (500mm) of travel, with the sway bar connected.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/100_0584Medium.jpg

Tony

sweet_gq
26th November 2010, 07:56 AM
I have the factory disconnect on the rear, and have just put snake racing front disconnects with a 2" extension to suit my lift. The disconnects are very noisy, clicking all the time around town. That said, went playing on the weekend and disconnected them for the first time - very very happy with the flex...

Just can't put the sway pins back in. Haven't bothered jacking up the car to do it yet - it roles a bit around town with them disconnected but certainly drivable.

B

Matmobile
8th December 2010, 12:13 AM
superior engineering do disconnects for when you are offroad

MudRunnerTD
8th December 2010, 10:43 AM
I have Superior front disconnects and they are good, but your front swaybar then hangs down when disconnected, its loose but it hangs. They can be a bitch to refit too, they have been easy but with a bit of mud in them and a slight lean on the car your near kidding yourself to put them back in without mechanical aid (a jack and a friend)

Phil21
9th August 2011, 06:35 PM
Can some one advise me on the sway bar disconnect? why would i want to disconnect the front what does it do?

Landrovers were never fitted with this trick..

Cheers

growler2058
9th August 2011, 06:43 PM
Can some one advise me on the sway bar disconnect? why would i want to disconnect the front what does it do?

Cheers

Gday Phil disconnecting the sway bars give the axles mor travel/articulation.

YNOT
9th August 2011, 06:44 PM

Cheers

Swaybars are used to reduce body roll/sway for on road driving, off road they can reduce axle articulation which is why many people either remove them or fit disconnects.
The factory Nissan sway bar disconnect works on the rear sway bar not the front.

Tony

growler2058
9th August 2011, 06:45 PM
Swaybars are used to reduce body roll/sway for on road driving, off road they can reduce axle articulation which is why many people either remove them or fit disconnects.
The factory Nissan sway bar disconnect works on the rear sway bar not the front.

Tony

Thatsss, what i was trying to say hahahahahahhaha, much more articulate Ynot

Phil21
13th August 2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the info, much appreciated