PDA

View Full Version : Manual to Automatic conversion - Cruise control won't work

pjbim10
17th August 2012, 07:55 PM
I posted this some time ago, but just had a conversation with the local nissan mechanic.

Just had my GU Y61 2010 CRD manual converted to auto by wholesale automatics and couldn't be happier. All same comments as above, only problem I have is I cannot get my cruise control to work - something to do with the change over. Nissan have put their diagnostics over it and say that "apart from not working, there is nothing wrong". Auto electricians look at the wiring and computer in horror before telling me to go back to nissan. Am currently dealing with Stuart at W'sale ortos and will keep advised, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Makes towing a breeze and can lock in any gear or use the auto as a manual.

It appears that the onboard computer has a different part number for the auto and manual, but without sitting down and spending an hour with both schematics, they don't know what the difference is. Different price as well.
My problem is I can buy a new automatic computer and have it installed for $1500 +GST+Labour, but there is no guarantee that will fix the problem and there is no prospect of a refund/return.

Does anyone have an idea on the what the difference is between the computers? Or any other suggestions about what I can do?

Best Regards, Peter Manley

NissanGQ4.2
17th August 2012, 08:46 PM
Hi Peter, when you get a chance stop past the introduction thread ( link found in my signature ) and introduce yourself to our friendly family.

I posted the same question up ages ago, but gave up trying to work it out.

If Wholesale Automatic Transmissions has done the conversion its up to them to sort this issue out, unless they told you before the conversion that there could be an issue with certain things.

I assume you are from the VIC area if Wholesale done your conversion, do you have any mates with an Auto GU that you could pull there ECU out and test it on yours.

I assume Wholesale put in an original or after market TCU into you Patrol?

Cheers

Todd

Yendor
17th August 2012, 10:47 PM
What was done with the cruise control switch on the clutch petal?

the evil twin
18th August 2012, 12:54 AM
What was done with the cruise control switch on the clutch petal?

Exactly the question I was going to ask, Rodney.

I'd be tipping it is an interlock issue... either the "missing clutch" interlock switch or the wire is open or a necessary interlock closure from the auto isn't present

pjbim10
18th August 2012, 01:21 PM
Many thanks for your response Todd. I had not thought of doing that - do you know if there is very much involved. I don't know anyone, but I was thinking of buying one second hand from wreckers. Wholesale Automatics did do the work and I will be returning to Victoria in a month or two to see if I can get any joy.
Best Regards,
Peter Manley

pjbim10
18th August 2012, 01:27 PM
Many thanks guys, I'm overwhelmed by the responses. The clutch pedal wires were shorted out and initially thought all was ok, since it wouldn't work at all before that was done.

NissanGQ4.2
18th August 2012, 01:55 PM
Many thanks guys, I'm overwhelmed by the responses. The clutch pedal wires were shorted out and initially thought all was ok, since it wouldn't work at all before that was done.

So is your problem sorted now peter??? The shorted clutch pedal wires was the problem???

pjbim10
18th August 2012, 02:25 PM
Unfortunately no. All of the above happened before I came across this forum - O, how things would have been different if I had found you guys 2 years ago. The current status is in the body of my original post.

Yendor
18th August 2012, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't of thought the cruise control computers would of been different from a manual to an auto. The part numbers you where told are they for just the computers? or the complete cruise control kit.

Looking at the wiring diagram there is only 3 different circuits between the manual and auto. The clutch switch is the first one. The other two circuits are direct links between the cruise control computer and the auto computer.

I would say this is most likely where your problem is and possible the cruise control computer if the part numbers are different.

NissanGQ4.2
18th August 2012, 04:57 PM
Rodney,

Sorry I'm 2 lazy to look at the manual and having never owned a patrol with cruise control, is the cruise control computer a stand alone unit or part of the ECU?????

Just curious,

Yendor
18th August 2012, 05:19 PM
The cruise control has it's own computer.

the evil twin
18th August 2012, 06:15 PM
The cruise control has it's own computer.

Yep,... and if 'Cruise' was OK prior to the tranny swap then 99.99% it should be OK now UNLESS they are indeed different. The clutch switch has been sorted so I'd be confirming Part Numbers and sussing those interlocks or inputs to/from the Tranny control

Not 100% sure what the OP means by didn't work at all "before the clutch wires were shorted" and "doesn't work now" so I'm assuming he means the system wouldn't even arm before and now it does but doesn't engage

pjbim10
30th March 2013, 03:23 PM
Hi all, It's been a long time since I added to this post, but I have been travelling Tas and VIC. I have had the electrics thoroughly checked by an auto electrician that does work for Wholesale Automatics and he cannot find any faults. So we're at stalemate as Nissan insist that "everything is fine with the cruise control" (apart from it not working that is). The auto electrician tried to talk to many Nissan people but none would answer any of his questions. Seems to be some kind of Nissan policy not to discuss any aspect of their product with third party tradies. I spoke to the workshop foreman at the dealership I bought the patrol from and his answer was - don't bring it here, it could cost thousands to find and fix the fault, you'd be better off buying an aftermarket cruise control. This whole issue really bugs me as I think the cruise is one of the greatest inventions ever and I want it back. Before I go off spending more of my hard earned, does anyone have any comments?
Best Regards, Peter M.

pjbim10
30th March 2013, 03:24 PM
Spot on, evil twin. PJM

Davidc
28th September 2013, 07:59 PM
Hi, just been reading about your problems with cruice control. Has it been sorted out yet? I am thinking of convertising my 2010 GU Nissan Patrol from manual to auto. Any suggestions? I read where you have been very happy with it. Is this still the case?
Regards Davidc