PDA

View Full Version : Improved Economy After 20,00km in CRD

Blacklotusdog
17th August 2012, 09:40 AM
Well, i have heard a few people mention that the economy of their GU has improved after hitting 20,000km on the clock. Others have said its always been the same even after 100,000km.

So i thought i would put up a poll as i am in interested in how many people have actually experienced this.

Could people please put up the year and model of their vehicle and also their initial fuel consumption compared to the changed consumption after ~20,000km.

Am particularly interested in peoples experience with the CRD.

WogsRus
17th August 2012, 11:33 AM
This will be interesting, i am constantly been getting good economy since i have had the car, but then again i brake my in against all the common rules the dealers give you and over the past 15 years of car ownership and countless engine rebuilds to many tuned cars, never had issues with oil bypass, fuel or blowby.

My car has got better in the past 8000km from about 14's to low 12 and high 11's, thats L/100km, all town driving like is stole it.

jack
17th August 2012, 12:03 PM
Still waiting to get to 20k, currently 3500k and getting mid 11's. Unmodified (at the moment) Simpson Edition Auto.
Keeping a close eye on the economy and have just picked up an Ultra-Guage and an off road Jayco, going to be interesting.
Cheers

Blacklotusdog
17th August 2012, 12:44 PM
For reference my GU8 has now done almost 8000km. My average economy so far is 14L/100km, Highest is 15.7L and the lowest is my most recent tank at 13L.

For more detail i track everything on my phone and also put it into fuelly.com, http://www.fuelly.com/driver/blacklotusninja/patrol.

GRA.GU
17th August 2012, 01:54 PM
Mine's an 07 CRD auto.There are so many variables that it's hard to get an accurate picture, unless you've kept your vehicle at the same level of modification and driven the same routes in the same manner. For instance, at 20000k mine still had the original 235x80 tyres, and apart from a steel bull bar and winch, no heavy modifications. Since then I have fitted 235x85, dual batteries, rear drawers and heavy contents, etc, and rarely venture out without roof rack and awning in place. And actual 4wdriving of course is extremely variable. Anyway, making corrections for the odometer's measured inaccuracy here are 2 roughly equivalent trips.
At 20000k a 2000k return trip and standard vehicle and little luggage; 10.3l/100k. [Best ever]
At 80000k a 1 way 1500k trip with roof rack and fully loaded interior; 14.25l/100k.
And no, I never noticed a difference between the pre and post 20000k figures at the time.

happygu
18th August 2012, 08:53 AM
There will be a slight difference as everything beds in, but don't expect miracles - it won't drop by litres per hundred......

I've just passed 20,000 but with big lift, 33" tyres, heaps of extra weight, it is hard to compare to 'Out of the Showroom' figures. In my last two CRD Patrols, I typically average around 13 to 13.3 Litres per hundred - top up to top up, although my last fill after the service was really good - didn't record it but I looked at the bowser at the time and thought to myself that was a good run @ approx 84 litres to 660 klms

Mic

Alitis007
18th August 2012, 09:11 AM
There will be a slight difference as everything beds in, but don't expect miracles - it won't drop by litres per hundred......

I've just passed 20,000 but with big lift, 33" tyres, heaps of extra weight, it is hard to compare to 'Out of the Showroom' figures. In my last two CRD Patrols, I typically average around 13 to 13.3 Litres per hundred - top up to top up, although my last fill after the service was really good - didn't record it but I looked at the bowser at the time and thought to myself that was a good run @ approx 84 litres to 660 klms

Mic

That roughly 7.8 k/Litre or 12.7/100 and is the in town or hwy??. Are all you guys driving diesels ?? Also do you guys fill up at the same servo all the time or go to the nearest when empty??

happygu
18th August 2012, 09:54 AM
My driving is a mix, as I am usually punting around town seeing customers on building sites.

There isn't too much difference between town or highway with a diesel. I've owned five of them, and I always have a laugh when people with a diesel that say they average 12 around town and then 6 on the highway :) .....

My latest car off the showroom floor was only filled once or twice before I began the fitout of all my bits and pieces, but with an ARB Bar only and standard tyres and everything else showroom, my fills were between 11 - 11.5. Didn't take too much notice, cause I can tell you once the fitout starts, it quickly changes. Just adding 33" Mud Tyres adds well over 1 Litre per Hundred to the ecomony figures. Then the big suspension lift adds a fair bit more as well. Then we take into account the winch, compressors, roof rack, accumulation of bits and pieces and it all adds a bit more.

I usually fill both tanks till I can see fuel, so my results are fairly accurate. There seems to be quite a lot of people that don't fill both tanks to measure there economy, and if they don't do that, they aren't giving true figures.

If you are implying that we all should be getting less than 10 litres per hundred with a GU Diesel, I think the stickers off the showroom floor say 10.9 per hundred, and it is hard to replicate these results. I haven't owned a petrol fourby for a while, but it would be a fairly safe bet that if they average 18 per hundred with normal tyres etc, putting bigger muddies on would also suck more fuel for them also.

Mic

MEGOMONSTER
26th August 2012, 05:53 PM
My driving is a mix, as I am usually punting around town seeing customers on building sites.

There isn't too much difference between town or highway with a diesel. I've owned five of them, and I always have a laugh when people with a diesel that say they average 12 around town and then 6 on the highway :) .....

My latest car off the showroom floor was only filled once or twice before I began the fitout of all my bits and pieces, but with an ARB Bar only and standard tyres and everything else showroom, my fills were between 11 - 11.5. Didn't take too much notice, cause I can tell you once the fitout starts, it quickly changes. Just adding 33" Mud Tyres adds well over 1 Litre per Hundred to the ecomony figures. Then the big suspension lift adds a fair bit more as well. Then we take into account the winch, compressors, roof rack, accumulation of bits and pieces and it all adds a bit more.

I usually fill both tanks till I can see fuel, so my results are fairly accurate. There seems to be quite a lot of people that don't fill both tanks to measure there economy, and if they don't do that, they aren't giving true figures.

If you are implying that we all should be getting less than 10 litres per hundred with a GU Diesel, I think the stickers off the showroom floor say 10.9 per hundred, and it is hard to replicate these results. I haven't owned a petrol fourby for a while, but it would be a fairly safe bet that if they average 18 per hundred with normal tyres etc, putting bigger muddies on would also suck more fuel for them also.

Mic

Best I could get with chip and exhaust was 13 point something, 14 point something without c & ex.

happygu
26th August 2012, 08:50 PM
Mego,

Your economy figures are similar to most, and are what I have come to expect, maybe slightly higher - but that depends on what you have in and on the car, and also what you do with it.

I am definitely sure that there are the 'golden ones' out there, probably built on a Wednesday or Thursday, just after pays are handed out, that give better economy.....it's just luck of the draw, or maybe a slight extra tweak if someone gets an extra 30 seconds on the production line, but I can tell you that all four of my 3 Litre Patrols have all been setup the same way, with the same gear and have all been extrememely close to each other in the economy stakes ( I usually pull off the same accessories and then add them to the new vehicle ).
That close that an olympic archer or shooter would be happy with the groupings......

Mic

happygu
26th August 2012, 09:03 PM
Blacklotusdog,

Going back to your orignal post.

You will notice that the car will loosen up a little at around 20000, but I think that the CRD motors really get better around 60000.

They are not the same as older engines where they were built really, really tight for the first period, and then would bed in over a longer period of time.

I could be quite wrong, but I believe that these days since the components are all built to much tighter tolerances, and most of the engines are pre-run in during the QA build process to verify they are running correctly, that the motors are nowhere near as tight as they were 20 years ago so the amount of difference over time is less noticable. It is also go something to do with the chasing of fuel economy, where the use of higher spec materials and technology has enabled all the engines to be made looser from new, so there is less friction, less drag, less fuel use, better performance, etc, etc. You get the picture. I certainly have never noticed a pickup of one or more litres per hundred over these time periods with the 3L Diesel Patrol.

megatexture
26th August 2012, 11:29 PM
mine averages about 15 per100km and has from day 1 though its far from being light, even adding a chip did minimal diffrence but thats maybe due to how i drive hehe