PDA

View Full Version : How to change head gasket? 99 GU 2.8lt TD

Jamesandlizk
16th August 2012, 09:18 PM
Hi guys just wondering if there are any hints you guys can give me about changing the head gasket, also possibly some links or even video would be great. First time diesel owner and have never worked on a diesel before.
Also what parts should I be buying for this job? Any recommendations of where to get it, live near Penrith in Sydney.

Thanks heaps guys :)

Petit caillou
16th August 2012, 09:56 PM
Hi Jamesandlizk,

I guess you have burnt the head gasket to the 5th or 6th piston, does not it?

You should check if the engine block is flat (in tolerence, see instructions for workshop)

You should check if the bolt is in good condition and if it is sufficiently flat (in tolerence, see instructions for workshop)

You must measure the piston overruns in order to know the thickness of the head gasket needed you.

Take this opportunity to check your oil seal camshaft is not leaking, check the viscous coupling, check the water pump, the calorstat, perform a cleaning of the cooling system, it's time to bypass your heating system, check the engine ground strap, ... remember that a coolant becomes corrosive after two years and that it should be changed to avoid the phenomenon of electrolysis.

best regards,
Petit caillou.

the ferret
16th August 2012, 10:01 PM
Mate.... You now have your 25 posts, so now you can download the manual.
Changing the head gasket is basically the same as a petrol engine, The main thing is the timing, that is fuel pump and cam to crank.
Getting the correct head gasket and installing the head to the correct sequence and tensions,
You will need a top overhaul gasket set, new head bolts, new timing belt and tensioners and a new harmonic bolt, some loctite, coolant and maybe a new or re-con head if you want to do the job properly.
Shortcuts don't pay off in the long run.
May I suggest you contact Garry at nizzbits@hotmail.com he has the best prices and they are genuine parts.
Cheers, the ferret.