PDA

View Full Version : is a body lift that great?

89gqpatrol4x4
16th August 2012, 06:05 PM
Been speaking to a few people about lift kits etc and some have sugested go a 2-3 inch suspension lift and get a 2 inch body lift. This would keep it legal up here in QLD but is a body lift any good. Would love to here your thoughts. I am a bit unsure as to weather I put 4-5 grand into a 4 inch lift with quality shocks and radius arms etc as it is an old car and then would not be legal. That is alot of money to be told you can not run it on the road anymore. Anyway I am open to all thoughts and suggestions.

AB
16th August 2012, 06:13 PM
Hi mate, unless you get an engineers certificate then a 2" suspension and a 2" body lift will be illegal. To be legal you can only do one or the other unfortunately.

What is the reason you are wanting both?

Unless your going to put 35" tyres on then you can travel to 99% of the places with a good quality 2" suspension lift and 33's in my opinion.

EDIT: Actually you guys might be legal for that up there to do 2" body and 2" suspension...lol

Bloodyaussie
16th August 2012, 06:24 PM
hi mate, unless you get an engineers certificate then a 2" suspension and a 2" body lift will be illegal. To be legal you can only do one or the other unfortunately.

What is the reason you are wanting both?

Unless your going to put 35" tyres on then you can travel to 99% of the places with a good quality 2" suspension lift and 33's in my opinion.

Edit: Actually you guys might be legal for that up there to do 2" body and 2" suspension...lol

is that fail on your part?????

NissanGQ4.2
16th August 2012, 06:26 PM
I though body lifts were illegal in QLD

PM David from Xtreme 4x4 Sport (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?5592-Xtreme-4x4-Sport)

David does blue plating in QLD and can advise you if a body lift is legal or not

Edit, they are legal read here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?11442-Body-Lifts-and-Cab-Cuts-in-Queensland

GUtsy ute
16th August 2012, 06:27 PM
At my age, a body lift would be great! LOL

Thirsty
16th August 2012, 06:38 PM
Body Lifts are Legal in QLD, As long as you apply to Dept of transport first. Then if they approve it, then you can do it and have it mod plated. Alot of crap to do to make it legal. Then its not really a simple process of wacking some larger blocks in. (modify bullbar, rear bar, steering, gear levers, side steps, brake lines, radiator shroud and radiator) not all applies to all models. To much work involved to make it a legal mod, just to make it illegal by running illegal tyres. IMOA. Running 35'' tyres would really be the only reason for doing it.
Good luck
Cheers

MudRunnerTD
16th August 2012, 06:39 PM
Gat a 4 inch lift and get it Engineered mate. That is the best outcome without question.

In Vic a 2 inch lift and 2 inch body lift is legal but a 4inch spring lift is a far better outcome.

Ben-e-boy
16th August 2012, 06:40 PM
I dont think body lifts are that great at all. all it does is raise you centre of gravity. no extra chassis height or travel

thats my opinion anyway

Thirsty
16th August 2012, 06:41 PM
Gat a 4 inch lift and get it Engineered mate. That is the best outcome without question.

In Vic a 2 inch lift and 2 inch body lift is legal but a 4inch spring lift is a far better outcome.

In QLD a 4'' is illegal, no matter what you do.

EDIT; Suspension Lift that is

Winnie
16th August 2012, 06:47 PM

I thought it was like Andy said, one or the other.

MudRunnerTD
16th August 2012, 06:54 PM
No in Vic you can have a 2" body lift, a 2" suspension lift and an increase in tyre size of 2" so 33s are legal in Vic

89gqpatrol4x4
16th August 2012, 07:46 PM
spoke to david from 4x4 etreme this afternoon and body lift is legal now and he can mod plate it. As a general rule you are allowed a 2 inch lift up here aswell. As for moding a 4 inch lift it is not possible up here. And yes I have some 35 centerpedes waiting for me in the garage.

growler2058
16th August 2012, 07:49 PM
In QLD a 4'' is illegal, no matter what you do.

EDIT; Suspension Lift that is

I thought Scotty got engineered and legal with 4"

AB
16th August 2012, 07:51 PM

Finally I get to challenge MR...LMAO

VicRoads' new VSI 8 regulation permits "Owner Certified" 4WD ride height increases up to 75mm, with 50mm maximum allowed for suspension lift, plus a 25mm increase resulting from fitment of a tyre with 50mm greater outside diameter, provided the modifications are undertaken using a commercially available lift kit that has been specially designed and tested for the vehicle application. Under the national guidelines, 'Owner Certified' lifts are limited to 50mm.

A copy of VSI 08 can be downloaded from the link: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...orvehicles.pdf .

A copy of VSB14 can be downloaded from the link: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa.../vsb_ncop.aspx

AB
16th August 2012, 07:53 PM
If engineered and certified you are good to go if approved of course...

Winnie
16th August 2012, 07:59 PM
Finally I get to challenge MR...LMAO

A copy of VSI 08 can be downloaded from the link: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...orvehicles.pdf .

A copy of VSB14 can be downloaded from the link: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa.../vsb_ncop.aspx

Knew it! Thanks for having my back on this one Andy, somebody's gotta stick it to the rogues like MR!

AB
16th August 2012, 08:01 PM
Knew it! Thanks for having my back on this one Andy, somebody's gotta stick it to the rogues like MR!

He's been spending too much time with the rouge...lol....Just wait though he will pull something out of section 4.1.2 paragraph 17 line 4....waiting!!!

NissanGQ4.2
16th August 2012, 08:04 PM

So did I. But David said even if they tell you its engineered its still not legal. Go figure

MudRunnerTD
16th August 2012, 08:23 PM
Buurrpp

Hold that thought choppa!

So 2 inch suspension that is a commercially available kit and 2 inch tyres so both of those are right.....

Keep reading fella. On the iPhone but will go find the bit about body lifts....

AB
16th August 2012, 08:35 PM
http://sdcdn.savedelete.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/6410-the-main-reading-room-of-the-new-york-public-library.jpg

nissannewby
16th August 2012, 09:38 PM
I dont think body lifts are that great at all. all it does is raise you centre of gravity. no extra chassis height or travel

thats my opinion anyway

Its actually the opposite. With a body lift the chassis stays where it was with all the engine and gearbox etc still mounted to it. So when you do a 4" suspension lift your COG will actually be higher than that with a car with a 2" spring and 2" body lift. I dont mind the body lifts as you can fit 35's under a car with the 2-2 combo getting the biggest killer of traction (diffs bottoming) further off the ground. As its been said a 2" body lift and 2" spring lift is legal here in QLD I have been told this by the QLD DOT inspector at the pits (dont ask :) ).

Bigrig
16th August 2012, 10:05 PM

5" actually ... and I have the engineers certificate to prove it ...

It's listed as a 2" lift coz its only a hairs breadth above this height from standard due to being flexi coils. Ryan's 3" sits as high if not marginally higher than mine - but the beauty of my lift is that due to the pre-load, I get shite loads of travel. The height reg is not based on the spring ladies and gerbilmen - it's based on the ride height of the vehicle post fitting. So if you go a bigger lift, but in a flexi coil that means the truck sits lower than an actual 3, 4, or 5" spring lift, so you still get passed and reap all the benefits of huge flex.

Ask Dhuck, he has a 5" lift also, sits higher than me, but doesn't have the travel I do. His brother has a 2" flexi coil that would out flex most 4" kits I've seen, but sits at probably an inch or so above standard.

Yep, it's reality that you can still have a good lift and stay legal - just do your homework before fitting.

MudRunnerTD
16th August 2012, 11:12 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

damn it i cant find the reference to Body Lifts........ Sh1t Bag!

The proposed VSI 50 addressed Body lifts and Banned them completely. they also allowed to go to a 4" lift if you were a registered member of the 4WD Association in your state.

I will find it and when i do i will post here. Until then may you shine in the glory of my humble acceptance of my Error! :eck05:

I Hunt you down :sterb003:

AB
17th August 2012, 05:58 AM
Thats 1 for AB.... 44,729 for MR...LMAO.

Winnie
17th August 2012, 06:06 AM
The gap is closing in!

Tappa tappa

threedogs
17th August 2012, 06:16 AM
Flexi coils sound ok, what are they like on the HWY????
2" body lift is a lot of work, lifting and extending everything just to run 35s
Most 4x4 run a 33 offroad which leave the tracks doable
follow someone with 35s or 37s cutting up the track you'll be pulling out the winch.
as AB said you'll get most places with a good 2" lift 33 tyres and buy a diff lock instead of body lift

Irvs
17th August 2012, 07:01 AM
I've got a 2" BL and 2" SL on 33's on my Mav (Tyre placard is 215/75/R16) and I passed a VIC roadworthy last week, given he was doing a solid for me though, he still put his pen to the paper therefore license on the line so clearly its either an arguable grey area or its legal.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

BigMav
17th August 2012, 07:36 AM
I have 33's a body lift and eventually I will be getting a 2 inch flexy kit with 4 inch shocks. Imo a body lift raises the cog only a small amount. It keeps the sills a little higher off the ground and allows the fitment of bigger tyres. It is cheap and easy to do. And now in Queensland at least, very easy to make legal.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2

MudRunnerTD
17th August 2012, 09:37 AM
To note during my reading last night the legislation talks about the measure of lift AND the measure of Droop in relation to factory spec! Not sure anyone will be policing that though!

BigMav
17th August 2012, 11:46 AM
Maybe they will carry around a travel ramp or something. Lol.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2