PDA

View Full Version : GU Clutch problem

Kostik
25th October 2010, 07:45 AM
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem.

My clutch pedal started to stick, return slowly.
I took the car to the mechanics where they changed the master cylinder this did not fix the problem. Then they changed the slave that also did not fix it. Then they changed the booster this did not fix the problem.

Then the mechanics thought the problem is the actual clutch and not the hydraulics so they changed the clutch.
Guess what nothing changed:). The mechanics are puzzled.

I looked all over the internet to find if anyone had a similar problem but I was unsuccessful.

Does any one know what could be the problem?

regards,

YNOT
25th October 2010, 11:33 AM
Is the pedal moving freely when disconnected from the booster/master cylinder?
Could it be a collapsed hose causing a restriction to the fluid movement?

Tony

Kostik
25th October 2010, 12:26 PM
Hi Tony,
The pedal is moving freely.
But I have not checked if the hose has collapsed. I will change the hose and see if this would fix the problem as this is the same advise I just received form Nissan service centre.
I will let you know if this works.

Thank you,
kostik

Spoons
25th October 2010, 12:48 PM
Kostik,

I had this problem twice in the last six months. The clutch was making a squeaking noise as it hit the bottom of the pedal travel. Then it started sticking down and I had to reach down and pull it back up (exciting when you are in the middle of an intersection). My mechanic (who I no longer use for reasons that will become apparent) replaced both the master and slave cylinders and mentioned that the master had metal filings in it. About a month ago I had just picked up a new caravan and was taking it on it's innaugural journey and had the same problem - again. I rang the mechanic and his advice was to take the car to his supplier for them to have a look at it. Only problem, I was about 50km away, it was raining and I was towing a van. I left my wife with the van and took off. About halfway there the clutch pedal decided to stay on the floor at every gear change. I had the bright idea to tie a piece of rope to the pedal to save reaching down and pulling it up. That worked for about another 20km when the cylinder packed it in entirely. I was in the middle lane of one of the busiest roads in the town, it was raining, I had no clutch at all and I was within a couple of km of the repairer. After pushing the Patrol off the street (with the help of a couple of good samaritans) I was eventually towed to an RACQ preferred repairer who replaced the master cylinder. He mentioned to me that the fluid had a lot of metal filings in it. I put two and two together and realised my mechanic had not replaced the oil when he changed both cylinders, just replaced the cylinders and topped ip the fluid.

When we returned home the first thing I did was pull both cylinders off and clean them and replaced all the fluid including what was in the line. I took the damaged cylinder to my mechanic and he was going to get back to me. That was six weeks ago and I have not heard a thing since. To say I am pissed off is an understatement. Before our trip away I had the car serviced and asked him to check the gearbox, transfer case and diff oil levels. I decided to check the levels this week and found the gearbox was overfull, the rear diff was about half full and filthy, the transfer case was down a little and the front was OK.

I digressed a little there. Sorry.

Kostik
25th October 2010, 03:25 PM
Spoons

Yes I know how it feels when your mechanic is not doing what he/she suppose to do. And you should let people know who they are that others don't get in the same trap.

What I real want to know if your clutch problem was fixed once you have changed the master and the slave?

regards,
Kostik

regards,
Kostik

Spoons
25th October 2010, 06:37 PM
Kostik,

Since I had the master cylinder replaced and replaced the fluid I have had no problems with it. The cylinder was replaced about eight weeks ago and I replaced the fluid last week. It may be too soon to claim a victory but so far so good.

I have decided to do most of the work on the Patrol myself and have a logbook service done on the major services by another, well recommended, mechanic. Hopefully he will do a better job.

Kostik
28th October 2010, 07:43 AM
Good morning All,

Thank you for your help. My mechanic finally fixed the problem. It was a collapsed hose which cost $30. But thanks to my mechanic it cost me $600, after changing every part of the clutch system.

Expensive lesson for me and him as it cost him over $1000 in labour which he could not charge me for.

cheers,

AB
28th October 2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks for getting back to us too mate!

dubaipatrol
30th October 2010, 01:11 AM
had the same problem with my 98 S.Safari. the clutch pedal gets stuck on the floor. replaced the slave cylinder last week for $ 26. now its working fine. but i feel now my clutch is getting hard to press..

Kostik
1st November 2010, 08:04 AM
Hi,

Well after changing the hose, the clutch pedal became ease to press. It is now a pleasure to drive as before I was working out my left leg for four years:)

regards,

that_kid_matt
24th March 2011, 07:36 PM
which hose was this? and where abouts is it?
i am having a problem where i just replaced the slave and master cylinder and now my clutch has heaps of slack in it, and as it comes out (engages) it gets stuck for half a second then pops out. It happens at about 80-90% before fully engaging the clutch. (ie. If i am taking of quickly it will slip for half a second untill it pops out)

any info would help. thanks

Rollo
16th April 2012, 06:50 PM
Hi Kostik
I am having the same problem that you wrote about in Oct last year. I've replaced the clutch with a Safari clutch and solid fly-wheel and it was after this that the problems started. The master and slave cylinders have been replaced and the booster checked but still have varying pressure on the pedal. Sounds very similar to your problem. I've had a look at the photo -but not sure where this hose is - can you confirm its location?
Thanks, Rollo

nicrob71
16th August 2012, 01:11 AM
Hello, I have a similar problem to Kostik and Spoons (posted a few years back) and wondered if some could explain this to me more clearly as I have little understanding of mechanics. My clutch pedal was heavy for a while, making scraping noises when pressed down and then finally refused to spring back at all, sticking right down. Like Spoons I have had to pull it back up by hand, with the added twist that I am attempting this in the middle of Hanoi (Vietnam) with millions of motorbikes flying at me in all directions. My major problem is that I don't speak Vietnamese so getting to the bottom of the problem with the local mechanics is tricky. Today's 'explanation' involved them trying to tell me they thought it was the little one, but now they think it's the big one, and something to do with a cylinder. I would be grateful if someone could tell me (a) what the problem could be and (b) what the range of solutions is, so that I can take a translator to the mechanic to understand what is going on and ensure they are investigating the right things. Thank you so much. NR.

JoseM
2nd September 2013, 07:16 AM
Hello mates.
Having the same problem with my TB45E GU '00. The pedal wouldn't return unless I pull it manually.
So what I gather is to first chk all hoses, then the slave.
if all that is well, then it is probably the booster, anybody knows? Has anyone deleted the clutch booster from a Patrol?

Col.T
1st October 2013, 07:02 PM
G'day all,
1) Kozzie, what model and how many Kliks you done? Just something to remember when I get there.
2)Nicro, Head over to the intro page, tell us a bit about yourself and also (which I like) maybe a bit more info on your profile page.
....In my experience, if either of the clutch cylinders are worn/scored etc. they leak and of course your fluid level drops. If it's the master you will possibly find fluid inside running down the pedal.The fluid level is visible through the clear plastic reservoir on /near the fire wall.
Either one crook , the end result is no pedal pressure/return/gear change. You can sometimes be lucky and get a few more changes by continually topping up the level but once the line/system gets air in it, you're stuffed.
3) Jose, reckon you'd have to have gone to the moon and back to lose your booster. Check fluid levels first then maybe the rubber lines. Done over 400K in a troll and replaced both cylinders several times but never rubber lines or booster.
Don't forget, brake and clutch fluids are a replacement item at regular long term intervals. They pick up water (hygroscopic) which causes damage to the system over time. Easy to do but easier to overlook.
4) Matty, all you can do is follow the line from master down to slave. Part alloy tube, part rubber according to model and where flexibility is required.
maybe waffling but hope this helps
Col