PDA

View Full Version : Painting Front Grill, what to do?

CrazyDave
21st May 2010, 06:55 PM
Hey Groovers,

My front grill on the Patrol is starting to fade, ive never painted plastic before.

Any ideas on what colour or type of paint, etc?

Thanks guys!

CD

AB
21st May 2010, 07:05 PM
I would use a grey or charcoal colour.

Make sure you paint/spray a bonding coat to the plastic first so the paint can stick and dry otherwise It'll come off for sure.

Also, if your going to go to the trouble doing the front grill you may want to do the other plastics so it all matches nicely maybe?

CrazyDave
21st May 2010, 07:13 PM
For sure, good idea thanks mate!

Timbo
24th May 2010, 05:50 PM
Also, if your painting, don't forget to use Wax & Grease remover or Prepsol before you start scotch brighting the surface. Then again after you have scotchied the surface. This helps to stop rubbing in dirt into the plastic and causing a shite finish.
You'll need plastic primer which is the spray bonding Andy mentioned.

If you find out the colour code of your car (usually a paint code on the firewall in the bay) you can go to most auto paint stores and they'll mix it up for you. Some even put it in a pressure spray can for convenience. I'd recommend getting a can made up. It's easier to use than a gun and you dont have to worry about air and material mixtures. Use the same preparation as normal, but just use the spray can instead of gun... unless of course you're going to do more than the grille.

Goodluck!

CrazyDave
24th May 2010, 07:38 PM
Great advise, thanks a million G-Unit! :)

BigRAWesty
30th April 2013, 03:36 PM
Hey Groovers,

My front grill on the Patrol is starting to fade, ive never painted plastic before.

Any ideas on what colour or type of paint, etc?

Thanks guys!

CD

Stupid phone.. removed

jack
30th April 2013, 03:47 PM
Ow same here. A tow ball is for towing..
Considering most blokes bolt 4T witches to there cars, his plane is floored to begin with..

Hey Kallen, you sure you replied to the correct post? :)

BigRAWesty
30th April 2013, 04:11 PM
Hey Kallen, you sure you replied to the correct post? :)

Haha.. my phone is having a moment.. lol

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Parksy
30th April 2013, 06:24 PM
If you find after a coat or two that you're not happy with the finish, or you have runs, wait for the paint to dry completely, then use a fine sandpaper, 1200 wet and dry and rub the grill down while making sure the sandpaper remains wet with water. Can be done every coat to achieve an excellent finish, it just takes extra time.
If you look closely at a cars finish, some have an orange peel effect, this can be cured with a wet and dry during the painting process.

04OFF
30th April 2013, 06:42 PM
Spray the grille blade/s parts from "behind" first before anything, turn the grille all directions/angles to get all the nooks and corners (from behind), this will help stop any paint build up you will get on the front of the grille blades, instead of trying to do it all from the front.

Plus then when you switch round to paint the front, you can focus a little more on the finish, rather than spot spraying to get inside all the hard to get to corners etc.