PDA

View Full Version : Bull bar removal - what goes with it

snewin
15th August 2012, 08:11 PM
I've just recently sold the genuine alloy bullbar that came with the car to upgrade to a steel winch bar.

The guy's coming to pick it up or swap it over to his car, I don't know which yet.

Is it a simple transfer? It looks like some of the front grill behind the bullbar on my car has been removed to accommodate it. This leads me to the question of does the guy have to modify his car for it to go on?

Do I just unbolt it all (taking off the lights etc) and give him the bullbar, or is there connecting bits that need to go with the bullbar as well?

Ugh, big plans to do most of the work on the car myself and I'm stuck on the very first thing. I can see a steep learning curve ahead of me. I used the search function but nothing specifically noobish enough for me.

Cheers
Rob

AB
15th August 2012, 08:44 PM
Hi mate,

Do I just unbolt it all (taking off the lights etc)

Are you talking about spot lights you have mounted on the bar itself?

It really should be a 5 minute job, unbolt it all, slide out, sell and depending on the bar you buy should be slide in bolt up job done.

Just keep asking questions mate. I personally have learnt shiploads by just asking questions...No point in guessing!

snewin
15th August 2012, 08:58 PM
Yeah AB,

Spot lights and indicators are coming off. I can see about 8 big bolts holding it on - 2 on each far side, and another two each side close together sort of under the radiator. There's about a dozen screws holding a plastic shroud looking thing to the plastic steering bash plate, if you can call it that. I suppose I'll keep as much as possible and just give he guy the bar and bolts. I just hope there's somewhere in the meantime to put the indicators in so I can drive the thing while I wait for my steel bar.

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2012, 09:01 PM
What car is it mate? GQ or GU? The integrated fog lights in a GU bar will go with the bar and just unplug. If you can't unplug them then cut the wire ;)

Very very unlikely that the grill has been cut to accommodate the bar? Other brands do this but not the Patrol.

Have you got any pics of your car

AB
15th August 2012, 09:02 PM
Sorry mate, just relised you have a GU, thought you were talking about a GQ for some reason. Got lost when you said indicators on factory alloy bar...haha

Hopefully someone with a GU can offer better advise...GQ's are straight out and in with the bolts.

EDIT: Cheers MR!

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2012, 09:15 PM
Is there a reason you have sold the bar before you have your new one to fit up? You will have to drive around without a front bumper and therefore not have airbag compliance and likely be unroadworthy until you have the new bar. Make him wait until your ready unless your chasing his cash to pay for the new one. Don't let your buyer control the terms mate. Your bar, your terms

snewin
15th August 2012, 09:19 PM

Aye, here she is. I'm planning to cut the wires on the spotties, unscrew and take out the indicators, then just start unbolting/unscrewing things as I see fit.

Behind the bar there is a big section of nothingness. It definitely looks like part of the grill has been removed. I suppose we'll see what happens.

It's definitely a cash thing. Need it to get the new bar. It's not my daily driver so I'm happy to let is sit for a bit until I have the new bar.

Silver
15th August 2012, 09:26 PM
We all learn from other people's questions, and the answers that arrive in response - thanks all!

I think if I were buying that bar, I'd be expecting the bar, the indicators, and the mounting hardware as part of the deal - best to get all those details pinned down in the ad or as part of the discussions around price etc. It may be that purchaser does not need the brackets but I think that unlikely.

As to the indicators, and the airbag, some good points have been made above.

If you are not able to time the transaction better, I suggest the better bet is if the purchaser is going to instal the bar soon, maybe you can come to some temporary arrangement to borrow the bits coming of that Patrol - even if it costs you a six pack or something, I'd go for that over a ticket etc.

Second choice might be to get some cheapy generic surface mount indicators, and fit them somewhere out towards to edges. Doesn't fix any airbag compliance issues that there might be. Dunno nuffink about that, drive a Mav/GQ :-)

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2012, 09:28 PM
Did you sell the bar with the spotties? You will get good money for those if you separate them out.

Silver
15th August 2012, 09:34 PM
the spotties are very likely to be connected with a pair of plugs called a bullet connector - neat people tuck the join into the grill out of sight - just follow the wires and see if you can spot them.

This will make it easier to refit them as well

snewin
16th August 2012, 06:01 PM
No, keeping the spotties, they're very good.

I'll backtrack the wiring & hope they clip out.

All excellent advice! Cheers

happygu
18th August 2012, 12:42 PM
Hey Snewin,

You shouldn't need to pull the indicators out to remove the bar - these should be just plug in, along with the spotties.

To remove the bar, just unplug the four electrical connections, and then look for the bolts on the front chassis rails, undo and remove.

Get someone to help you, and just pull the bar straight off the front.

Mic

snewin
18th August 2012, 12:57 PM
I got the bar off without too much problem. It took just over an hour and a half, but I did have a lot of help from my 3 year old. Two size 19 ring spanners and a drill with a phillips head and she was off. Pretty easy even for a noob like me.

Unscrewed the plastic shroud bit that goes between the bottom of the bull bar and the chassis. Unclip the spotties and indicators, undo the 4 big bolts holding the bull bar on, take off the spotties, indicators and number plate.

Gives me confidence to tackle something else now......maybe my own dual battery install next woohoo, the skies the limit.

BTW - half the front grill is missing so it's unroadworthy until I get a new bullbar.

I don't know why but i love this one. My wife and two eldest boys hate it, they think it looks so ugly and daggy, but I wanny one (bar, bush bars and sliders). Anyone got one? Any comments on these?

Winnie
18th August 2012, 01:19 PM
They are illegal and belong on 4WD wannabe gay cowboy utes

Tappa tappa

P4trol
18th August 2012, 02:17 PM
Seen plenty of these on new vehicles. I like these bars too, but not the driver.

I guess the part that appeals is the wildlife protection factor. Guessing they would reduce your approach angle for the rough stuff.

Tipsy-tap

snewin
18th August 2012, 02:40 PM
They are illegal and belong on 4WD wannabe gay cowboy utes

Tappa tappa

Ouch! Why are they illegal?

Silver
18th August 2012, 02:51 PM
I don't know whether that one is illegal, but, but if you look at old bull bar designs the top is further forward than the bottom, thus directing anything struck by the bar down and under. The 'Tuff' one pictured seems to do that?

New car frontal designs, and bars, are designed to direct things struck, specifically pedestrians, up and onto the bonnet because it is less dangerous than going underneath.

I suspect there would be light visibility issues with that bar too, but hard to tell from the picture. The factory alloy bullbar on my Mav also does a reasonable job of obscuring the turn signals at some angles - I've not heard of people being picked up for it, though.

snewin
18th August 2012, 03:38 PM
Oh ok that makes sense. Thanks for making the point I never would have known.

MudRunnerTD
18th August 2012, 04:13 PM
ADRs dictate that a bull bar must taper back and no forward degree is legal. Must be bumper back and not fall forward.

MudRunnerTD
18th August 2012, 04:16 PM
And that is THE UGLIEST BAR I have ever seen on a Nissan Patrol. What were they thinking???

snewin
18th August 2012, 05:36 PM
Hahaha I really like it. Each to their own I suppose. It's out of my price range anyways. I like this one. It was mentioned in anothre thread about April.

http://boltonparts.com.au/products/bull-bars/nissan-patrol-gu-bull-bar/

Simple and in my price range. Sent them an email and if it comes back that it's airbag compatible I shall seriously consider getting it.

happygu
18th August 2012, 09:18 PM
That one looks the goods.

Mic

Silver
18th August 2012, 10:11 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder!

Anyhoo, its going onto a GU- a big bulky bar can only improve the view :-). (just kidding!)

snewin
19th August 2012, 09:28 AM
Anyhoo, its going onto a GU- a big bulky bar can only improve the view

Oh so cruel. There's enough GQ/GU debate on here to go on with as it is :tease:

I just hate having to admit to my wife that she was right LMFAO

Silver
19th August 2012, 03:08 PM
If someone offered me a nice GU, I'd have to look at it - the old Mav is just that - getting on, getting some rusties and other age related issues. I'm just indulging in what I hope is harmless stirring :-)

Silver the mighty Mav suits us well, and owes us very little.