PDA

View Full Version : family travels

riskset
15th August 2012, 07:49 AM
hi all,

we are travelling from top to bottom of oz over six months in a petrol y60 on lpg pulling a camel camper. looking forward to it, and interested in any resources others have used when travelling.

cheers,

04OFF
15th August 2012, 07:58 AM
Sorry mate , not much help planning big trips like that, i can say tho, you should "definatly" take a camera, and post lots of pics for us here about your travels ;)

Good luck, and im sure someone with decent info will be along soon (he-he)

threedogs
15th August 2012, 08:32 AM
Don't forget to take a sense of adventure, and a sense of humour
laugh at least once a day, even if you feel like crying

AB
15th August 2012, 10:40 AM
How old are the kids?

Keep them entertained mate, games and DVD player in the car is a must when on the black top otherwise they will be a nightmare when your trying to get up there.

Download the magazine I made up which has a section on some items to consider when touring too...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?82-NISSAN-PATROL-MAGAZINE

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2012, 10:47 AM
Tip#1

When you stop for lunch on the road the kids DO NOT EAT! that is their time to run around. On the Madigan line Zach (6) was made to run to the top of the sand dunes. play chasy, play whatever you like.

Make their lunch and zip lock it. they will eat in the car when your rolling again. Make it clear to them that that is how it works and they will never complain about it! it's just the way it is!

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2012, 10:48 AM
Tip #2

When packing up camp each day pack their PJs into their sleeping bag bag ;) when they unpack there they are ;)

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2012, 10:51 AM
Tip #3

Buy a 20lt round plastic drum with a large opening lid ($15 at Bunnings) When on the road put 10lts of water in it with all your smalls and lay it on its side and strap it to your roof rack. You now have a Washing machine ;) Use Front Loader powder for less suds ;)

Works a treat. Wring it out and fresh water rinse and your ready to hang them out when you stop for the day.

This will work with all your washing actually like jeans and stuff but most effective on smalls and tshirts

macca
15th August 2012, 11:10 AM
Add some smooth rocks to the "washing machine" origional stone wash I guess. Gets jeans clean anyway.

If your kids are old enough get a bird book (plus reptile, native animal, flora, trees etc) and have them spot and record what they see and where.

Couple of mates did this and the DVD got fairly well left alone. They actually looked out the window!! Make sure they can see out too.

They have an amazing capacity to remember, be a great trip for sure.

Cheers Macca

riskset
15th August 2012, 11:21 AM
will definitely load photo's and update the travel section.
thanks MudRunnerTD for the ideas - esp the clothes washer.
AB, i've installed a second battery and converter for the laptop, so that should see them right.

as an aside, i bought some 240V reading lights (the ones with the clamps), stripped out the wiring etc and replaced with 3*1W LED (MR16s), inline fuse and switch, and cigarette male so be able to plug and clamp them anywhere in the camper. it was from an idea on another forum and they put out great light with low draw, as i just couldn't find anything similar out of the box. anyone come across anything? cheers

threedogs
15th August 2012, 11:56 AM
These work a treat 10watt 12v smd led flood light

riskset
15th August 2012, 12:04 PM
they look great threedogs and are cheaper than the LED's i used!

threedogs
15th August 2012, 01:35 PM
Ron Moon did a write up on them in July issue of 4x4 aust. magazine, 800 lumens, can run 2 of these and still use less power than one of those flouro camp lights

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2012, 04:28 PM
Here is a pic of my Washing Machine in action

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18189&d=1342696372

threedogs
15th August 2012, 05:11 PM
Depending on how old the little ones are, I like them all to have a whistle around their neck, if they wander off etc or strangers.
Hope you never use the spin cycle Mudrunner

Thirsty
15th August 2012, 07:02 PM
Here is a pic of my Washing Machine in action

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18189&d=1342696372

Thats an awesome Idea

Steve4wdin
15th August 2012, 07:20 PM
I love that washing machine. I am going to set one up this weekend. LOVE it, well done

macca
15th August 2012, 07:21 PM
Depending on how old the little ones are, I like them all to have a whistle around their neck, if they wander off etc or strangers.
Hope you never use the spin cycle Mudrunner

Great idea, add a small as in tiny LED torch as well.
Recently friends were on the Cordillo Road for a camp, one of the group got lost finding the bush toot 150mtrs from camp and walked 2klm from camp, she found a road and headed back to camp in a hell of a state. She was not young, the whistle would have worked for her.
Just got to get them to wear it.

Newiereef
1st April 2013, 11:34 AM
That washing machine idea is an absolute cracker. Will be getting into that on my next trip. Thanks