PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak from gearbox

Woof
24th October 2010, 02:08 PM
Just found this and my question is, can someone with not a great deal of mechanical knowledge fix this easily or is it a big job??
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/Uriah57/002-4.jpg

NissanGQ4.2
24th October 2010, 02:20 PM
only 1 oil leak???? s*** im in trouble, my motto is " if i keep filling it up with fresh stuff i should never have 2 do an oil change " *LMAO*

YNOT
24th October 2010, 04:41 PM
Black oil indicates it's engine oil not gearbox, looks like a leaking rear main seal to me. There are 2 ways to get to the rear main seal, engine out or gearbox out, both are big jobs.

Todd, don't forget to change the oil filter occaisonally!!!

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
24th October 2010, 04:56 PM
Black oil indicates it's engine oil not gearbox, looks like a leaking rear main seal to me. There are 2 ways to get to the rear main seal, engine out or gearbox out, both are big jobs.

Tony
my rear seal has gone as well, not lookin forward to that job. Gearbox out for this 1, if i took the engine out i would have 2 replace it with a V8!!!!!!! Tony if its always got fresh oil why do I need 2 change the oil filter occasionally????

Woof
24th October 2010, 04:59 PM

Tony
Thanks heaps Tony, why are all issues always bloody big ones, oh well gotta expect these things to happen to a 20 year old Patrol.

patch697
24th October 2010, 05:01 PM

Tony

Agreed Tony it dose look a lot like a rear main.

Good time to look at replacing your clutch to BTW

YNOT
24th October 2010, 10:16 PM
my rear seal has gone as well, not lookin forward to that job. Gearbox out for this 1, if i took the engine out i would have 2 replace it with a V8!!!!!!! Tony if its always got fresh oil why do I need 2 change the oil filter occasionally????

Because it may only be the fresh new oil that's rust proofing under your car while the dirty old oil continues to circulate through the engine!

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
24th October 2010, 10:31 PM
knowing my luck it would be the fresh oil coming straight out while the old stayed in there *L*

Thanks Tony, does remind me i'm due for a filter change

blueyzharsoff
25th October 2010, 11:15 AM
As already indicated it's a sure bet that the oil is coming from the rear main seal. Apart from oil on the driveway and having to add oil once in a while this is not a major problem in the short term.
This should give you heaps of time to make sure that your budget will cover expenses such as possibly a clutch kit which will save the additional cost of possibly having to pull the gearbox out again later on (trust me, its a big job:( )
If you plan on doing the job yoourself it's a doozy, so be well prepared.
If your getting someone to do it for you get plenty of quotes, ask lots of questions (there is no such thing as a dumb question) and when you compare the quote be sure your not comparing apples with peaches.
Good luck mate.

Finly Owner
26th October 2010, 02:32 AM
So Tony when are we doing mine? lots and lots of coffee is on offer......smiles :-)

1peter
28th May 2011, 09:36 AM
I know this is an older post but the Patrol i just bought had a bad oil leak which i thought was the main seal but, it was just the rocker cover gasket leaking down the back of the engine. The bloke that did the roadworthy told me over the phone before he even saw the truck that it would probably be the rocker cover because it is common with them. He was right.