PDA

View Full Version : 2" lift lower at rear

Flo-w
13th August 2012, 10:30 PM
G'day Forum,

My GQ has a 2" EFS lift but I noticed that the rear of the car sits lower than the front (as in there's less space between the tire and the guard). I do have a DIY storage system in the boot, a full steel roof rack on the roof with a roof top tent and a second spare on it. Also some recovery gear in the boot including a hand winch and steel cable. So it's fairly heavy already, even without water, food, ...

Is there a way of getting the suspension back "up"? And is it worth it?

Cheers

healy
13th August 2012, 10:36 PM
One way would be to take all the stuff out lol your proberly only got a light duty spring set in it you would need heavy duty springs for it is that how you leave your car all the time? Fully loaded

89gqpatrol4x4
13th August 2012, 10:43 PM
apart from changing the springs to heavier ones or progressive rate springs you could try fitting airbags. As for the cost not sure but you will also need a portable compressor.

Flo-w
14th August 2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into heavier springs then. I'd have a compressor as well so airbags might be an option. Nut sure how they work so it seems more reasonable to upgrade the actual suspension then to keep it from boing what it's supposed to do.

I wouldn't call it fully loaded but yeah, I've to keep those things in and on the car because there's simply no space to put them elsewhere. And the roof top tent is such a hassle to fit to the roof rack I wouldn't wanna do this too often.

MudRunnerTD
14th August 2012, 08:38 AM
Ghee it is fairly heavily loaded all the time then fella. Things like your hand winch are just unnecessary weight to carry around. A heavier rate spring will help but your heading towards needing rear spring cap bracing too or your going to break something mate.

Air bags will help but you will drive with them inflated all the time! you might as well just get an extra heavy duty spring and be done with it! Airbags are designed to add spring weight when loaded but allow you to deflate when running light. You never run light so they would be pointless.

Re think your daily load mate if you can. Your rooftopper should lift off without to much trouble? at the end of the day mate Unload what you can.

threedogs
14th August 2012, 08:58 AM
X2 with everyone else, thats a lot of weight to carry all the time.
hate to see your fuel figures.
Heavier springs should sort it out, rear only.
but try and remove some weight if possible.
Tell them first what you carry and they'll sort what spring is needed

Flo-w
14th August 2012, 07:04 PM
Cheers guys!
I live in an apartment and there's only on-road parking...

cookpa
12th September 2012, 08:16 PM
rear poly air bags $360 (even cheap arsed 2nds or copies on ebay will be $250 easy ) or new rear coils in say dobinsons $180 pair
air bags leak constantly and the fittings and hoses break or get torn off in the bush
there is only one choice i think

Flo-w
12th September 2012, 10:36 PM
Got it fixed today.
My mechanic wasn't too happy with the initial results considering how much weight I'll put in there and put in even heavier duty coils (from King Springs). The space between wheel and wheel arch has doubled now. It will come down a bit once it's fully loaded. He also recommends adding 15mm spacers for the front suspension because right now the rear is a fair bit higher than the front.

Will this influence my fuel economy by much? I didn't really expect it to come up that much...

healy
13th September 2012, 01:48 AM
Nah fuel should be the same still I'd reckon