PDA

View Full Version : rebuild 4.2 diesel

marc b
24th October 2010, 12:36 PM
Hello there,

Would like to ask if there is anyone out there that has rebuilt a 4.2 diesel motor by them selfs ? I am looking at rebuilding my own motor but would like to find out if it easy or hard to do. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

marc b

Woof
24th October 2010, 12:54 PM
Mate it is always good to post up an introduction before asking for assistance, just gets everyone on side, just go here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions

marc b
24th October 2010, 01:17 PM
Sorry will do that now. Thanks for putting me in line Dogman.

Adlarplant
24th October 2010, 01:38 PM
The td 42 engine isnt an overly difficult engine to rebuild any reputable machine shop should be able to remove and replace the liners for you then its just a case of follow the workshop manual

marc b
24th October 2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for that bit of info Adlarplant. I guess I will give it a go then if thats the only hard part getting someone to do the liners.

Thanks

marc b

AB
24th October 2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks for that bit of info Adlarplant. I guess I will give it a go then if thats the only hard part getting someone to do the liners.

Thanks

marc b
Let us know how you go too mate and yell out if you get stuck.

marc b
25th October 2010, 10:57 AM
Ok will do AB.

Finly Owner
26th October 2010, 02:33 AM
Have you priced the rebuild kit?

marc b
26th October 2010, 11:05 PM
Yer I have had at look at a couple the price I got is around $1400 for sleves pistons and rings , gaskets, bearings. not sure if thats a good price or not but will keep looking

Finly Owner
26th October 2010, 11:18 PM
that's about the price on ebay, I haven't checked elsewhere yet.

tkn
3rd December 2010, 11:02 AM
marc,
As to how hard or easy it is to do - ask yourself, "Am I really good with tools?". If the answer is anything but "Yes", you might find the job a major headache. Talking about tools, you will need a good quality socket set and good quality set of ring spanners. Don't forget the torx sockets for removing and refitting the head. The TD42 is a big lump and you may need more than one person to get it in and out - especially when realigning it with the gearbox. You haven't said what is wrong with the engine or why you want to rebuild it. Depends how many Kms the engine has done, but a rebuild might be a whole lot of work for little real advantage. You wouldn't be the first.

Matmobile
8th December 2010, 01:05 AM
The ebay kit iss quite good

89GQ
11th December 2010, 06:28 PM
If you go ahead with it post up your progress and pics! Would come in handy for any others wanting to do it. Cheers.

Finly Owner
12th December 2010, 11:42 PM
Have found out can get cheaper if you look around for rebuild kit. Where u @?

Tim

kane077
30th December 2010, 09:22 PM
You need to keep in mind that a diesel engine is a lot more touchy than a petrol engine to build. Things like piston protrusion and exact injector pump timing can and will play havoc with a diesel (particularly the TD42). You will need a clean place to work, precise measuring equipment and patience to do the job right.

Phantom53
1st January 2014, 01:59 AM
Hey guys.. i got my rebuild kit from harris engines in perth for $850 plus 350 to do liners for me.. the kit is a FULL engine rebuild. Gaskets.. head bolts.. liners..piston..rings.. bearing etc but is only a standard kit..